Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

markesc
Goldmember
3,258 posts
Gallery: 1411 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 23, 2020 21:06 |  #2056

DocRoger wrote in post #19129106 (external link)
The fall warbler migration continues to give some great opportunities and a last chance to capture these beauties until next spring. Here are a couple from the past 2 days - a Blackburnian and a Magnolia - both in their more subdued fall colors. I've been making sure to get out at sunrise and the first hour of sunlight has been magical.
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Wow uh mazin.... I'm patient.... but not that patient!!!

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Gallery: 1029 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by MatthewK.

Sep 24, 2020 05:45 |  #2057

DocRoger wrote in post #19129106 (external link)
The fall warbler migration continues to give some great opportunities and a last chance to capture these beauties until next spring. Here are a couple from the past 2 days - a Blackburnian and a Magnolia - both in their more subdued fall colors. I've been making sure to get out at sunrise and the first hour of sunlight has been magical.
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

DocRoger wrote in post #19129134 (external link)
Very much appreciate your kind words Phil, means a lot. I knew I was off to a good start when I began to get into this a couple of years ago and took Robert's (MM4040) advice to get my feet wet and check out the Sony Rx10miv. I could make that baby sing but I knew I needed more. Robert came to my rescue again about 6 months ago with the D500 + 500PF set-up and there's no stopping me now! I love the way it handles light and colors and have learned that to get the best out of it I need to get that early (or late) light - man what a difference that makes.

Dazzling photos, really happy to see you getting out there and making the opportunities with these birds! Isn't it surreal when you get out there w/ sunrise and see crazy activity, not knowing what species you'll find? People rave about the Spring and the breeding plumage, but personally I find the Fall migration to be more exciting. Best time of year!

Chris1966
257 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 10 months ago by Chris1966.

Sep 24, 2020 07:27 |  #2058

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19128916 (external link)
On a budget, the new Canon 800mm f/11 might serve,. but I am dubious about it's overall utility to date. It would require an "R" body to use,. and as you say the R5 (and R6 really) are pretty high dollar. that leaves only the "R" itself, whose sensor I admire (5D4) but the AF for wildlife? Not even close to the R6 and R5, let alone an affordable 7D2.

If only that 800mm would work well on a 7D2, but alas.

Thanks, I actually took notice of the RF800mmDO release. And it might be a good solution to get to 800mm for shooting over distance. No tc required so I assume IQ will do just fine and f11 just acceptable.
But here it comes: Canon has all but abandoned crop shooting. A 1.6x crop R model for 1500,- and I would buy the 800mmDO in a heartbeat.
No way though that I would mess around with a M6II and mount converter and add-on EVF.
What Nikon does right, is offer a high IQ 1.5x crop body that will take all Z lenses and F lenses with the same adapter as my Z7, and offer a full package in the Z50, and that for 799,-
The gap at Canon is now too large. If it changes, the RF800mmDO will surely be an option!

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by MatthewK. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2020 21:29 |  #2059

This evening, I was walking back home after an hour or two outing, and had zero photos on my memory card. Though the conditions were excellent, nothing was working for me, I wasn't seeing any birds at all, just another one of those days that have become all too familiar to me this year. In a last Hail Mary I stop by at my all time favorite tree to see if I there's any last second holdouts....

WOW.

After about 10 minutes of chilling, it was like a switch got flipped. Out of nowhere, birds just started appearing out of the wood work (literally). At one point there were 3 Black & White Warblers, a Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Northern Parula, American Redstart, and obligatory Gray Catbirds... in the same tree at the EXACT same time!!! All at or near eye level. It was unbelievable and chaotic, and it only last about 3 minutes before it started dying down. There was so much action (all that Warbler energy) that it was tough picking out shots fast enough before a bird would move, and I had to quickly zero in on another, so a lot of shots that looked good in the viewfinder turned out to have some compositional issues (branches in the background, mostly). Big set of photos to work through!

Not sure why they were swarming this tree, but the same thing happened in the spring, and that's why it's my lucky tree.

This is my first edited shot. More to come!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This isn't a hero shot, I was just trying to get more than one bird in the frame, but 500mm up close doesn't give enough DOF.

HOSTED PHOTO

DocRoger
247 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 24, 2020 21:48 |  #2060

MatthewK wrote in post #19129551 (external link)
This evening, I was walking back home after an hour or two outing, and had zero photos on my memory card. Though the conditions were excellent, nothing was working for me, I wasn't seeing any birds at all, just another one of those days that have become all too familiar to me this year. In a last Hail Mary I stop by at my all time favorite tree to see if I there's any last second holdouts....

WOW.

I'll say Wow! That is so awesome! Good for you for not giving up! That Parula is beautiful. Great story!:-D

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jazzdoc/ (external link)

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
10,572 posts
Gallery: 902 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2020 21:59 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #2061

Wow from me also.
The first one ticks all the boxes IMO.
A beautiful bird in an enticing pose.

You certainly bought out the colours and details in these.

Glad you were rewarded so richly.
Look forward to more.

Richard

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2020 07:00 |  #2062

DocRoger wrote in post #19129557 (external link)
I'll say Wow! That is so awesome! Good for you for not giving up! That Parula is beautiful. Great story!:-D

Thank you, Doc! I mostly see Parulas during the migrations, and they're usually really timid at first, but once they appear they are rather bold and will hang out for a good bit. The Black-throated Green Warblers are similar: timid until they aren't, and they'll sit in the same spot for a good long while. Problem is, if they land at a less than ideal perch, it's kind of what you're stuck with because they won't move to another spot until they actually get up to leave.

Now, if I could just get them on more interesting perches like your Warbler shots, I'd be ecstatic :D

avondale87 wrote in post #19129560 (external link)
Wow from me also.
The first one ticks all the boxes IMO.
A beautiful bird in an enticing pose.

You certainly bought out the colours and details in these.

Glad you were rewarded so richly.
Look forward to more.

Kind words, I much appreciate you commenting on my shot, Richard.

It definitely was a stroke of luck that I hit on this smorgasbord of birds, because prior to that I had spent two hours in the field and had literally zero photos to show for it, so yeah, I definitely needed a pick-me-up :)

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Gallery: 195 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 25, 2020 08:37 |  #2063

MatthewK wrote in post #19129551 (external link)

WOW.

After about 10 minutes of chilling, it was like a switch got flipped. Out of nowhere, birds just started appearing out of the wood work (literally). At one point there were 3 Black & White Warblers, a Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Northern Parula, American Redstart, and obligatory Gray Catbirds... in the same tree at the EXACT same time!!! All at or near eye level. It was unbelievable and chaotic, and it only last about 3 minutes before it started dying down. There was so much action (all that Warbler energy) that it was tough picking out shots fast enough before a bird would move, and I had to quickly zero in on another, so a lot of shots that looked good in the viewfinder turned out to have some compositional issues (branches in the background, mostly). Big set of photos to work through!

Not sure why they were swarming this tree, but the same thing happened in the spring, and that's why it's my lucky tree.

This is my first edited shot. More to come!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=191​29551&i=i212426917
forum: Nikon Lenses

This isn't a hero shot, I was just trying to get more than one bird in the frame, but 500mm up close doesn't give enough DOF.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​29551&i=i181148269

You definitely earned this opportunity, Matt. You are being rewarded for persistence during the months long dry spell. ;-)a

These are wonderful and your commentary allows us all to appreciate them even more.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add a 3rd...... WOW!  :p

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 25, 2020 09:19 |  #2064

I had a unique visitor in the backyard yesterday afternoon.

As I sat, prepared for Hummer flybys, a Baltimore Oriole "just appeared" and sat on one of my feeders less than 15 feet from me!
As I slowly turned his way & raised the camera in his direction... off he flew into the neighbors tree.

I waited & waited for him to come back, but he didn't wanna play with me. I got this just as proof for wifey that I actually saw him. Lol.

I went out & got some fresh oranges last night & put them out this morning, in hopes of luring him (them?) back. Here's hoping!

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50380726007_0cb5ccede1_h.jpg

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2020 16:03 |  #2065

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19129779 (external link)
I had a unique visitor in the backyard yesterday afternoon.

As I sat, prepared for Hummer flybys, a Baltimore Oriole "just appeared" and sat on one of my feeders less than 15 feet from me!
As I slowly turned his way & raised the camera in his direction... off he flew into the neighbors tree.

I waited & waited for him to come back, but he didn't wanna play with me. I got this just as proof for wifey that I actually saw him. Lol.

I went out & got some fresh oranges last night & put them out this morning, in hopes of luring him (them?) back. Here's hoping!

QUOTED IMAGE

You got this, bud! BOs are skittish birds, but I hear that they can't resist oranges. Keep us up to date on the proceedings!

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19129763 (external link)
You definitely earned this opportunity, Matt. You are being rewarded for persistence during the months long dry spell. ;-)a

These are wonderful and your commentary allows us all to appreciate them even more.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add a 3rd...... WOW!  :p

Thanks, Phil... I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't thinking about hanging it up more than once this past summer. With winter coming up, and given how dismal last winter was, it wasn't looking good, but luckily I have a kid on the way in a few weeks, so by default I won't be doing much birding :D The forced break will be good for my psyche, for birding at least.

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2020 16:46 |  #2066

I literally got home from work, out of my car, into my outdoor clothes, and into the woods hoping to catch more of the Warbler swarm from last night. Warblers are everywhere here, hopping around in almost every tree. They weren't as cooperative today, but I did grab this shot of a male Black-throated Blue!

HOSTED PHOTO

Regrettably, going over my photos from yesterday, and I'm finding that I'm just not liking them all that much, but you know what: I was just happy to be witness to all of the action :) Here's what would have been my favorite of the day, if it weren't for the perfectly placed branch right behind his head. I'm working on Photoshopping it out, but it's rough going. If anyone has any tips, send 'em my way.

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 25, 2020 17:07 |  #2067

MatthewK wrote in post #19129944 (external link)
I literally got home from work, out of my car, into my outdoor clothes, and into the woods hoping to catch more of the Warbler swarm from last night. Warblers are everywhere here, hopping around in almost every tree. They weren't as cooperative today, but I did grab this shot of a male Black-throated Blue!

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​29944&i=i112979989

Regrettably, going over my photos from yesterday, and I'm finding that I'm just not liking them all that much, but you know what: I was just happy to be witness to all of the action :) Here's what would have been my favorite of the day, if it weren't for the perfectly placed branch right behind his head. I'm working on Photoshopping it out, but it's rough going. If anyone has any tips, send 'em my way.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​29944&i=i107903651

OMG, Man!
I'm so happy for you.
Wish I could help with PS advise, but I suck in PS. :-/

Funny thing... My father tried & tried to get me into Photoshop, 20 (or more) yrs ago - back when it was a big stack of 5.25" floppies.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

DocRoger
247 posts
Joined Apr 2018
Post edited 10 months ago by DocRoger.

Sep 25, 2020 21:15 |  #2068

MatthewK wrote in post #19129944 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​29944&i=i112979989

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​29944&i=i107903651

That is so AWESOME Matt! Those are both fantastic shots! It looks like they have just about left Ohio, glad to see they are still coming through your way. Love that Black-throated Blue shot! As for the Black and white - awesome shot! If the branch really bothers you (I don't really mind it) one thing you might try is to mask the Warbler and the foreground branch it is perched on and then you can adjust the background. I use a combination of decreasing the Highlights and Shadows, adjust the Levels and Curves to take the background down. While the bird is masked you can also use gaussian blur on the background. Sometimes a little cloning too. You can make the branch much less noticeable - but it's a lot of work, might not be worth the trouble. Hope that helps!

DocRoger
247 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 25, 2020 21:22 |  #2069

It looks like the Warblers might have left my area. I went out looking for them today and found ZERO! At least I ran into my friend, the Red-tailed hawk.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,055 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2020 08:53 |  #2070

DocRoger wrote in post #19130052 (external link)
It looks like the Warblers might have left my area. I went out looking for them today and found ZERO! At least I ran into my friend, the Red-tailed hawk.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=191​30052&i=i208617850

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=191​30052&i=i12451640

You’ve been on a hot streak, Doc, this is another awesome shot because you are so up close, and the lighting looks perfect too. There’s also that signature clarity and color we get from this body/lens combo.

That’s disheartening news to hear :( just when things are getting good, right?

sponsored links

354,909 views & 5,991 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.