Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,870 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Methodical. (2 edits in all)

Oct 02, 2020 02:40 |  #1381

Jared5 wrote in post #19132954 (external link)
This is exactly why anyone who wants/needs to shoot more than 8 frames per second on a regular basis may want to hold out until the EOS R1 is announced next year. Having 'big boy batteries' like the existing 1D series will help solve the frame rate below 60% battery capacity issue.

I don't need more than 8 frames per second so I'm OK with the 60% battery limitation, but someone who buys the R5 expecting 12 frames per second all the time needs to know this limitation before dropping their hard earned cash.

I agree. I don't always need 12 frames per second as I won't always be shooting BIF or sports. Hell, I cut down shutter speeds on my 7D2 and 1D bodies, so I am not spraying too much. But, like the other poster stated, get a grip to add that 2nd battery. I won't shoot any camera without a grip and a 2nd battery. I will always have a fresh set of batteries if needed (i.e 4 total), so if I ever needed to get back those 4 fps, I'd just swap in the 2nd set of fresh batteries. Besides that, I envision the new camera being $7k and I just spend that kind of money on camera body that will be old in 1-2 years. I'd invest in glass and buy it later.

It's good to finally get some perspective using the R5 with sports.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,870 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Methodical. (5 edits in all)

Oct 02, 2020 03:32 |  #1382

umphotography wrote in post #19132912 (external link)
He is showing distorted balls and goal posts with electronic shutters and he wasnt real happy with eye focus. He says to stick to single point---also....So many frames to go through with electronic shutter use

he is a 1Dx2 shooter and prefers it to the R5 for sports work

Positive reports for portrait work

He only spent 2 days with the camera, which I don't think is enough time to hone in the correct settings. He probably should've used face detection as that has a much larger surface to attach to when shooting athletes. He didn't get into the exact AF setting he used though. He may have had the settings where the AF shifts to the next subject vs sticking to the prime subject. Basically, I think it was his settings that was causing focus to shift to the net as the athlete moved. I say this because folks have reported that they have issues where they can't make the focus jump to another subject that they want to focus on when using the eye/animal detection; they had to setup a separate BB AF setting so they could quickly switch to a single AF point to move focus to the subject they want. In the end, he loved the camera, but said he wouldn't buy it because he did not need another camera because he already has 3 cameras for his needs.

I need to get out there and test it myself when the world of sports opens up to everyone again.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,288 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 02, 2020 03:55 |  #1383

Methodical wrote in post #19132989 (external link)
I agree. I don't always need 12 frames per second as I won't always be shooting BIF or sports. Hell, I cut down shutter speeds on my 7D2 and 1D bodies, so I am not spraying too much.

These very annoying. I don't accept it, but perhaps am more likely to comprehend it in something like the 90D, but in a more expensive camera like the R5, you would think that you could pick lower burst speeds. I set my 7D2 to 7fps within a day of seeing that it triggered a destructive IS feedback loop at 10fps in the zoom lens I was using at the time, and never turned it back up to 10fps over the next 5 years.

I am now thinking about carrying around a lot of older or partially-charged batteries to lower the R5's burst rate when I get it, assuming AF ability is not also reduced. It is totally ridiculous that we even have to think about work-arounds like this.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,173 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 02, 2020 04:28 |  #1384

umphotography wrote in post #19132912 (external link)
He is showing distorted balls and goal posts with electronic shutters and he wasnt real happy with eye focus. He says to stick to single point---also....So many frames to go through with electronic shutter use

he is a 1Dx2 shooter and prefers it to the R5 for sports work

Positive reports for portrait work

Most of the issues with rolling shutter seems to be during pans especially fast panning. I don't see these effects when following just a player at normal human speeds. Yes you end up with a lot of frames to look through on the computer when done, but that would be an issue no matter what camera you use at 20fps.

Also I have eye AF turned on but during the last event, it seemed to use face detect more often when it couldn't see the eyes and that worked well too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

Jared5
545 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by Jared5.

Oct 02, 2020 07:14 |  #1385

Methodical wrote in post #19132999 (external link)
He only spent 2 days with the camera, which I don't think is enough time to hone in the correct settings. He probably should've used face detection as that has a much larger surface to attach to when shooting athletes. He didn't get into the exact AF setting he used though. He may have had the settings where the AF shifts to the next subject vs sticking to the prime subject. Basically, I think it was his settings that was causing focus to shift to the net as the athlete moved. I say this because folks have reported that they have issues where they can't make the focus jump to another subject that they want to focus on when using the eye/animal detection; they had to setup a separate BB AF setting so they could quickly switch to a single AF point to move focus to the subject they want. In the end, he loved the camera, but said he wouldn't buy it because he did not need another camera because he already has 3 cameras for his needs.

I need to get out there and test it myself when the world of sports opens up to everyone again.

Agreed. It seemed like a "premature evaluation" to do a review after only 2 days: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=IJlQk-r_c8U (external link)

I'm recording my 2-month review this weekend.

EOS R3 | EOS R5 | EOS R | 5D Mk4
RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | RF 28-70 f/2L | RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 15-35 f/2.8L IS
RF 85mm f/1.2L | RF 85mm f/2 macro IS | RF 50mm f/1.2L | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 35mm f/1.8 macro IS | RF 16mm f/2.8
https://www.youtube.co​m/JaredRibic/videos (external link)

A1original
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 02, 2020 07:41 |  #1386

Adaptors in stock at B&H
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …_mount_adapter_​ef_rf.html (external link)

Canon EOS R6| EOS R5| Canon RF 24-105L| RF 50| RF 24-240| RF 800 and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link)
Ira. “No one here gets out alive”

WarriorPoet
94 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 02, 2020 08:24 |  #1387

Can anyone recommend a wireless shutter release?

https://www.instagram.​com/rickballmann.photo​graphy/ (external link)

crofter
400 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 02, 2020 08:27 |  #1388

WarriorPoet wrote in post #19133065 (external link)

I have one of these for my R,cheaper than the Canon one and just as good.
https://www.amazon.co.​uk …_1330733031_t2_​B06X92TNR3 (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Optiq
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by Optiq.

Oct 02, 2020 09:47 |  #1389

WarriorPoet wrote in post #19133065 (external link)

Isn't there is an app for this???

My small but growing -=Flickr page=- (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,319 posts
Gallery: 548 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 02, 2020 10:49 |  #1390

I haven't read through the whole thread, so my apology if this question has been addressed already.

For those of you with experience using the Canon Mount Adapter, either standard or control ring or both, is it worth double the price to go with the control ring edition? What does it do that you can't program in the R5 itself?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 02, 2020 11:19 |  #1391

SYS wrote in post #19133110 (external link)
I haven't read through the whole thread, so my apology if this question has been addressed already.

For those of you with experience using the Canon Mount Adapter, either standard or control ring or both, is it worth double the price to go with the control ring edition? What does it do that you can't program in the R5 itself?

The control ring is just another dial that you can set to do whatever function you wish. The RF lenses all have control rings, so the control ring edition of the adapter provides that function for EF lenses. Page 824 of the R5 PDF Manual shows all the functions you can assign to the control ring (as well as what you can assign to the other three dials). I haven't used the control ring much yet, but I suspect I'll find it handy as I get used to it.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
14,073 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by RDKirk.

Oct 02, 2020 11:33 |  #1392

SYS wrote in post #19133110 (external link)

I love the control ring. For me, it's a matter of putting all three essential exposure controls on dials that I can easily manipulate with the camera at my eye.

I'm old enough to have used the Canon FD system, which had the aperture dial surrounding the lens. I initially intended to set the RF control ring to aperture control as well.

But since the film days, I've learned to tweak ISO first for exposure correction (because ISO in modern digital cameras has the least effect on the appearance of the image over the widest range of exposures), and the control ring is the handiest location for a control, so I set the control ring for ISO in manual mode. Right now I set it for exposure compensation in auto modes, but that may change as I get more used to FV flexible mode. But FV mode is another case for having another control right at the fingertips for eye-level operation.

My most dicey exposure situation is live stage productions because lighting changes dramatically and rapidly, or I change rapidly from one subject to another subject that is lighted dramatically differently. With exposure simulation turned on, I'm riding the ISO on the control ring with my left fingers to counter lighting changes. My right thumb is moving the focus point with touch-and-drag, and my right index finger is setting the focus and releasing the shutter. Having experienced shooting this way, I'd kvetch and moan a lot if I had to go back to a DSLR for stage productions.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

f8andBeThere
153 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2020 11:54 |  #1393

Showing "more on the way" already so those apparently went fast.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,319 posts
Gallery: 548 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 02, 2020 12:19 |  #1394

LJ3Jim wrote in post #19133132 (external link)
The control ring is just another dial that you can set to do whatever function you wish. The RF lenses all have control rings, so the control ring edition of the adapter provides that function for EF lenses. Page 824 of the R5 PDF Manual shows all the functions you can assign to the control ring (as well as what you can assign to the other three dials). I haven't used the control ring much yet, but I suspect I'll find it handy as I get used to it.

RDKirk wrote in post #19133138 (external link)
I love the control ring. For me, it's a matter of putting all three essential exposure controls on dials that I can easily manipulate with the camera at my eye.

I'm old enough to have used the Canon FD system, which had the aperture dial surrounding the lens. I initially intended to set the RF control ring to aperture control as well.

But since the film days, I've learned to tweak ISO first for exposure correction (because ISO in modern digital cameras has the least effect on the appearance of the image over the widest range of exposures), and the control ring is the handiest location for a control, so I set the control ring for ISO in manual mode. Right now I set it for exposure compensation in auto modes, but that may change as I get more used to FV flexible mode. But FV mode is another case for having another control right at the fingertips for eye-level operation.

My most dicey exposure situation is live stage productions because lighting changes dramatically and rapidly, or I change rapidly from one subject to another subject that is lighted dramatically differently. With exposure simulation turned on, I'm riding the ISO on the control ring with my left fingers to counter lighting changes. My right thumb is moving the focus point with touch-and-drag, and my right index finger is setting the focus and releasing the shutter. Having experienced shooting this way, I'd kvetch and moan a lot if I had to go back to a DSLR for stage productions.

Thank you for your responses. I read a review that said the control ring adapter is "practically useless" for heavy lenses. The reviewer mentioned Sigma 60-600 when making that statement. I don't know anything about that particular lens, but I gather that I'd experience the same with my Sigma 150-600C? I'm going to be using R5 (once I get it) for bird photography primarily with that lens.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

A1original
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 02, 2020 12:20 |  #1395

f8andBeThere wrote in post #19133150 (external link)
Showing "more on the way" already so those apparently went fast.

Yeah I figured they would go quickly. Just happened to see them at 3:00am this morning. ;-)a

Canon EOS R6| EOS R5| Canon RF 24-105L| RF 50| RF 24-240| RF 800 and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link)
Ira. “No one here gets out alive”

sponsored links

685,651 views & 4,710 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.