Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 27 Oct 2020 (Tuesday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique me

DamianG
22 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2020

Oct 27, 2020 10:10 |  #1

This is my very first post in any photo-related forum.
I’ve been asking lots of friends their thoughts about my photography but these people are not that honest, they don’t have the “eye” and I’m not looking for someone to be nice to me.. I need the “bad” (not literally bad) comments. Those comments are the ones that are going to make me improve.

So, I started my beautiful photo-Journey about a year ago (I am a newbie). The camera that I use is a canon 1000D( or XS) and the kit 18-55 lens.
I am going to leave some samples of my favorite and my most liked photographs. Tell my what’s good and point me out what’s bad. Focus on the negative things.. thank you in advance !!

PS. Both photos were exported for Instagram, I hope the size is okay.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,483 posts
Gallery: 405 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 27, 2020 10:21 |  #2

I really like the first one with one minor caveat. If you had added a touch of fill flash on her so the darkest part of the image wouldn't be the shadow side of her face.

The second shot is a nice portrait, nothing bad about it, but also nothing particularly interesting either. The blue flower blocking part of her face is distracting as it blocks her eye.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2020 11:16 |  #3

First one I like. I don't mind the shadow areas unlike Gonzo. I think this photo would be better wider to show more environment. Second one looks like the flowers are poking into her eye. I little side glance towards the camera with a bit of a coy look would be amazing (IMO).

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

DamianG
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Oct 2020

Oct 27, 2020 11:25 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

Could you suggest any flash (for canon) ? I don’t really know what’s good and what’s bad. Also is flash and speed light the same thing ?

DamianG
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Oct 2020

Oct 27, 2020 15:41 as a reply to  @ post 19144002 |  #5

Yes I know but it’s not really usable, especially indoors. The light is too harsh..
Do you have any external flashes in mind that i could may invest in the future ?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,483 posts
Gallery: 405 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 27, 2020 18:46 |  #6

DamianG wrote in post #19144048 (external link)
Yes I know but it’s not really usable, especially indoors. The light is too harsh..
Do you have any external flashes in mind that i could may invest in the future ?

Look at the godox flashes. They are reasonably priced and there are options to meet your budget. The important thing is to get an ettl capable model. I would also recommend one of their models that have built in radio capability and the rechargeble battery option.

GlimmerMan
Goldmember
3,039 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 06, 2020 22:19 |  #7

DamianG wrote in post #19143928 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DamianG in
./showthread.php?p=191​43928&i=i13678812
forum: People

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DamianG in
./showthread.php?p=191​43928&i=i121424590
forum: People

G'day.

#1 : I completely disagree about the need for a flash (would ruin the feel of the image IMO), but I think you got the street light wrong. There is too much light on your model's pants. Maybe three steps forward and the problem is solved. You chopped her hands, too. I actually don't think it's a problem in this image but someone always complains about chopping limbs in the wrong spot. So there: a complaint. :)

#2 : Delete it and move on. That 'flowers covering the face' only works on Instagram, with a bit of PP, and a lot lot lot of practice. Too much arm, as well. You've got this beautiful model with her lips parted just right, and seems like a photograph of her arm, exaggerated somewhat by the choice of focal length and close position to the lens. Further, her arm hides and eliminates her form, which I would guess is tastefully accented by her hair - neither of which we can see. However, if you remove those flowers, you've got some really fine colors and lighting in that image. Seems you might have some PP skills, so when you retake the image, knock out that blurb of red / orange on the top left. Doesn't necessarily hurt, but doesn't need to be there. Also - Did you smooth out her neck or remove a shadow? Could purely be the angle, but looks a tiny bit too perfect to me.

There's a thread on POTN for natural light portraits. Flash is overrated.
"Post your Natural Light Fashion/Portraits!!"
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1178487

Way to put yourself out there. Hope the comments help. Later,

X100T XT3
flickr (external link)

DamianG
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Oct 2020

Nov 07, 2020 00:42 as a reply to  @ GlimmerMan's post |  #8

That’s the kind of comment I was looking for. Thank you very much !

sponsored links

1,355 views & 5 likes for this thread
Please critique me
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.