Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 18 Jun 2018 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your BUG shots!

Pigpen101
Goldmember
2,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Nov 15, 2020 08:37 as a reply to  @ post 19152094 |  #5131

Very cool looking critter, like a cross between a beetle & a moth.

sponsored links
Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Gallery: 546 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 15, 2020 11:14 |  #5132

S.R.M. wrote in post #19152273 (external link)
Another mother shield bug with freshly-hatched baby buglings :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2k6J​HL1  (external link) Mum and the babies (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

Love it! Wonderful pic.

I'm a bit confused, though, about what they are up to. Is this just a short-duration defensive posture? I mean, the little ones have to go out and eat and grow, and you can't do that sheltered under your mom.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 00:26 |  #5133

Robber fly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

nardes
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Gallery: 716 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 18, 2020 01:19 |  #5134

My wife spotted these today, so I grabbed the EOS R5 and used Focus Bracketing (hand held) to extend the depth of focus.

I think they may be some type of Shield Bug?

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ECC233
Cream of the Crop
5,330 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 18, 2020 07:00 as a reply to  @ nardes's post |  #5135

This one is a real bug, the western conifer seed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis). It is an accidental introduction into Europe and occasionally there are large numbers of them. This guy arrived in the garden this morning and proceeded to enjoy the pansies.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/New-Insecta/Hemiptera-Bugs/Pentatomomorpha-/Coreoidea-/Coreidae-/Leptoglossus-occidentalis-Western-conifer-seed-bug/i-F44WqcJ/0/9a2fb75c/XL/74201597-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/74201597-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/New-Insecta/Hemiptera-Bugs/Pentatomomorpha-/Coreoidea-/Coreidae-/Leptoglossus-occidentalis-Western-conifer-seed-bug/i-bjgZBMw/0/9991a86d/X3/74201589-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/74201589-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Ed
Galleries at https://bugsrus.smugmu​g.com

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 10:01 |  #5136

nardes wrote in post #19153688 (external link)
My wife spotted these today, so I grabbed the EOS R5 and used Focus Bracketing (hand held) to extend the depth of focus.

I think they may be some type of Shield Bug?

Cheers

Dennis

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=191​53688&i=i264787374
forum: Macro

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​53688&i=i97764568

Very nice, Dennis. The photo is sharp and has an interesting graphics quality too. Great to work with the focus bracketing. I need to explore that too, but don't have the adapter yet.

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 10:03 |  #5137

ECC233 wrote in post #19153780 (external link)
This one is a real bug, the western conifer seed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis). It is an accidental introduction into Europe and occasionally there are large numbers of them. This guy arrived in the garden this morning and proceeded to enjoy the pansies.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/74201597-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/74201589-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Nicely done, Edwin. I didn't know Europe suffered from introduced species too.

ndcisiv
685 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2020

Nov 18, 2020 10:31 as a reply to  @ nardes's post |  #5138

One of these things would look creepy enough, but that many I'd have some issues for awhile myself. Great images though.

flickr (external link)
Nikon D7100 | 28mm 2.8 | 35mm 1.8 | 90mm 2.8 | 70-300mm VR

ECC233
Cream of the Crop
5,330 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 18, 2020 10:54 as a reply to  @ ndcisiv's post |  #5139

And here is one that Europe seems to have introduced to North America. These things are truly horrible. Lipoptena cervi, the deer louse fly. They cling to your hair and bite. This one is on my wife's fleece – for some reason she did not want to stay still while I took the shots!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/New-Insecta/Diptera-True-Flies/Brachycera-Muscomorpha-Schizophora-Calyptratae/Hippoboscoidea-/Hippoboscidae/Lipoptena-cervi-Deer-louse-fly/i-CVqRFCd/0/77695c91/X2/A9200217-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …Edit-Edit-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Ed
Galleries at https://bugsrus.smugmu​g.com

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 11:34 |  #5140

ECC233 wrote in post #19153846 (external link)
And here is one that Europe seems to have introduced to North America. These things are truly horrible. Lipoptena cervi, the deer louse fly. They cling to your hair and bite. This one is on my wife's fleece – for some reason she did not want to stay still while I took the shots!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …Edit-Edit-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Nasty! But a good shot of one. It looks tiny.

nardes
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 18, 2020 14:11 |  #5141

Archibald wrote in post #19153822 (external link)
Very nice, Dennis. The photo is sharp and has an interesting graphics quality too. Great to work with the focus bracketing. I need to explore that too, but don't have the adapter yet.

Thanks Ed, the FB on the R5 does work very well and these were taken in natural light, no flash required.:-)

I tried auto stacking with Helicon Focus but the final stack was polluted by a plethora of unwanted multiple legs and antennae where the insects had either bodily moved or just moved body parts between frames. To get around this, I manually selected the best 6 frames out of the 20 I shot and opened them as Layers in PS CC, then I used the Align function in PS CC to Align the Layers then I manually blended the sharpest parts using Layer Masks.

Cheers

Dennis

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 15:58 |  #5142

nardes wrote in post #19153934 (external link)
Thanks Ed, the FB on the R5 does work very well and these were taken in natural light, no flash required.:-)

I tried auto stacking with Helicon Focus but the final stack was polluted by a plethora of unwanted multiple legs and antennae where the insects had either bodily moved or just moved body parts between frames. To get around this, I manually selected the best 6 frames out of the 20 I shot and opened them as Layers in PS CC, then I used the Align function in PS CC to Align the Layers then I manually blended the sharpest parts using Layer Masks.

Cheers

Dennis

That is cool. I have done focus stacking in PS but not as selectively as you describe. Sounds a bit time-consuming but sounds very useful for situations when the subject moves.

Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
11,325 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 18, 2020 16:33 |  #5143

Archibald wrote in post #19153978 (external link)
That is cool. I have done focus stacking in PS but not as selectively as you describe. Sounds a bit time-consuming but sounds very useful for situations when the subject moves.

I have never done any stacking. How would stacking work if/when the subject does move?

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

nardes
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 18, 2020 16:35 |  #5144

Archibald wrote in post #19153978 (external link)

Helicon Focus has an excellent tool/capability of fixing stacking problems.

The final stacked image is displayed in a Window of the RHS and you can navigate through all the frames that make up the stack in a LHS Window.

So, where you may have multiple antennae in the final stack, where one frame is tack sharp and the other contributors are a little blurry, you just navigate to the source image with the tack sharp antennae in the LHS WIndow to make it active, and then in the RHS (stacked final) you just paint in the tack sharp segment and it removes all the unwanted blurry stuff. Sounds complicated but once you use it, is becomes very simple and easy.

Here is a screen capture showing the re-touching display.

I find it much easier to do this kind of local re-touching in Helicon Soft as it is targeted and guided.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2020 17:20 |  #5145

nardes wrote in post #19153999 (external link)
Helicon Focus has an excellent tool/capability of fixing stacking problems.

The final stacked image is displayed in a Window of the RHS and you can navigate through all the frames that make up the stack in a LHS Window.

So, where you may have multiple antennae in the final stack, where one frame is tack sharp and the other contributors are a little blurry, you just navigate to the source image with the tack sharp antennae in the LHS WIndow to make it active, and then in the RHS (stacked final) you just paint in the tack sharp segment and it removes all the unwanted blurry stuff. Sounds complicated but once you use it, is becomes very simple and easy.

Here is a screen capture showing the re-touching display.

I find it much easier to do this kind of local re-touching in Helicon Soft as it is targeted and guided.

Cheers

Dennis

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=191​53999&i=i184909532

Yes, Zerene has a similar capability. But I thought you said you used PS for this.

Charles, what Dennis said. Basically you find an image with the sharp antenna or leg and clone it in, then repeat for the next out of focus part.

sponsored links

908,925 views & 22,354 likes for this thread
Post your BUG shots!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.