Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

Weja
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Gallery: 1052 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2011

Nov 29, 2020 05:29 |  #1951

Very close encounter.

Common buzzard

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50659437268_9092f0c56a_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kbA​RKA  (external link) JAN_Common buzzard (external link) by Jan Wever (external link), on Flickr

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: R5 , 600mm. F4 L IS II , RF 100-500, RF 100 F2.8 L IS macro , 1.4 Tc.III .
Gitzo 3542 LS with Wimberley head II , centre column with Gitzo ballhead.

sponsored links
rndman
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2020 07:27 |  #1952

John Sheehy wrote in post #19159083 (external link)
That's one area where crop mode can be useful. Crop mode loses pixel and lens resolution, and gets more image-level noise unless you use a 1.6x lower f-number (or were going to crop in software, anyway), but it prevents or greatly slows buffer filling. Using a smaller vertical area of the sensor for your final image also has another benefit: less rolling shutter time down the final image. For example, if you were shooting the front of three planes that all had the same propellers turning at the same RPM, but were at three very different distances from you, and you cropped out each plane for the same composition, the closer plane would have the absolute worst propeller distortion, and the farthest one the least. It is the diameter of the outside edges of the propeller that determine how distorted the outer parts become. You can see that suggested in a single propeller; the center area may not be distorted much at all, but only the outer edges are.

Thanks for the details.
However I am still not clear as to how the smaller size files will improve it.
Because buffer is buffer, that size does not change. The file size is our logical data division and if that is done in smaller numbers or large, there should be no impact of the buffer.
The only impacting factor is how fast the buffer clears and that depends on how fast the card can write.
So faster the card, faster the buffer clears and lesser issue with the burst. Isn't it?

smugmug (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Gallery: 2678 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2020 07:50 |  #1953

John Sheehy wrote in post #19159083 (external link)
That's one area where crop mode can be useful. Crop mode loses pixel and lens resolution, and gets more image-level noise unless you use a 1.6x lower f-number (or were going to crop in software, anyway), but it prevents or greatly slows buffer filling. Using a smaller vertical area of the sensor for your final image also has another benefit: less rolling shutter time down the final image. For example, if you were shooting the front of three planes that all had the same propellers turning at the same RPM, but were at three very different distances from you, and you cropped out each plane for the same composition, the closer plane would have the absolute worst propeller distortion, and the farthest one the least. It is the diameter of the outside edges of the propeller that determine how distorted the outer parts become. You can see that suggested in a single propeller; the center area may not be distorted much at all, but only the outer edges are.

How are you defining noise, and why does the 1.6x lower f-number help?

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2020 08:02 |  #1954

rndman wrote in post #19159179 (external link)
Thanks for the details.
However I am still not clear as to how the smaller size files will improve it. Because buffer is buffer, that size does not change. The file size is our logical data division and if that is done in smaller numbers or large, there should be no impact of the buffer.
The only impacting factor is how fast the buffer clears and that depends on how fast the card can write.
So faster the card, faster the buffer clears and lesser issue with the burst. Isn't it?

Smaller files fill the buffer more slowly. There is a higher throughput in terms of number of pictures. Let's imagine you can take 20 images per second. If the cropped images are 1/2 the size as the full-frame, you can take take as many images before filling the buffer. If the camera can take only 20 images per second, you can capture twice as many crop images compared to full-frame before the buffer fills. The smaller image size may allow more images to be moved out of the buffer in a unit of time, too.
Your last still sentence holds, in either case. As long as the buffer and card combination are as fast, or faster, than the camera can image, you won't lose images.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,459 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 29, 2020 09:44 |  #1955

rndman wrote in post #19159179 (external link)
Thanks for the details.
However I am still not clear as to how the smaller size files will improve it.
Because buffer is buffer, that size does not change. The file size is our logical data division and if that is done in smaller numbers or large, there should be no impact of the buffer.

Once you fill the buffer, then it is pretty much MB/s to the card, and then that is more files to the card per second if the files are smaller.

If the bandwidth is low enough, the buffer doesn't fill, or fills very slowly.

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2020 10:27 |  #1956

John Sheehy wrote in post #19159220 (external link)
Once you fill the buffer, then it is pretty much MB/s to the card, and then that is more files to the card per second if the files are smaller.

If the bandwidth is low enough, the buffer doesn't fill, or fills very slowly.

You have that backwards. If the card can accept data more quickly (a higher bandwidth), then the buffer doesn't fill, or fills more slowly.

The bandwidth from the sensor electronics to the buffer is fixed. By sending a fixed number of smaller files, less bandwidth is used.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 29, 2020 10:43 |  #1957

Weja wrote in post #19159147 (external link)
Very close encounter.

Common buzzard

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kbA​RKA  (external link) JAN_Common buzzard (external link) by Jan Wever (external link), on Flickr

Weja

Sweeet. I like those really tight shots showing the intensity in the eyes.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,871 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Methodical. (7 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2020 10:45 |  #1958

Like I said, get the V90 and not worry at all. You can shoot whatever size files or speed you want.

Prograde has 25% off of the V90 and V60 cards until midnight Monday.

https://shop.prograded​igital.com …m_campaign=4746​749.e9c964 (external link)

Sample: V90
128gb is $104
64 gb = $63

The discount should show in the cart, but just in case it doesn't, here's the code.

Code: BFCM20

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

rndman
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2020 11:22 |  #1959

Methodical wrote in post #19159255 (external link)
Like I said, get the V90 and not worry at all. You can shoot whatever size files or speed you want.

Yes. Sounds like a plan.

smugmug (external link)

Spinner
75 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2020 06:41 |  #1960

I have Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG teleconverters in both 1.4x and 2x. Does anyone know if they will autofocus on the R5?

Thanks

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jaybee35/ (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,459 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2020 08:40 |  #1961

Spinner wrote in post #19159607 (external link)
I have Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG teleconverters in both 1.4x and 2x. Does anyone know if they will autofocus on the R5?

Thanks

The 1.4 works here as expected, as long as it is the only TC. I have not had it work stacked with anything else (the IS bangs or a communication error is reported). Same for a Tamron SP 2x, which is allegedly the same as the Kenko Pro 300 DG 2x from around 15+ years ago (white/beige).

arsurendran
216 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 30, 2020 11:39 |  #1962

Weja wrote in post #19159147 (external link)
Very close encounter.

Common buzzard

QUOTED IMAGE

Weja

Wow, Buteo Beautiful!!!

AcademicNomad
Goldmember
1,096 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 01, 2020 00:27 |  #1963

Anybody interested in a 1Dxiii vs R5 comparison for BIF? I might have an opportunity to have both bodies for a week or so during Christmas break. Depending on the lockdown measures/public health orders in the city, I might be able to do a comprehensive comparison if I can get out for enough days.

Desire to learn; a camera & a few other things.

Spinner
75 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2020 05:59 |  #1964

John Sheehy wrote in post #19159651 (external link)
The 1.4 works here as expected, as long as it is the only TC. I have not had it work stacked with anything else (the IS bangs or a communication error is reported). Same for a Tamron SP 2x, which is allegedly the same as the Kenko Pro 300 DG 2x from around 15+ years ago (white/beige).

That's very helpful info, thank you.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jaybee35/ (external link)

venghous1
145 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2016

Dec 02, 2020 09:51 |  #1965

rndman wrote in post #19157171 (external link)
That's the scary part...
Of course we can't do this with articulating screens, but for 7D2 and 5D3 I have the screen covered by protector (with a frame) that hangs from the view finder.

I had to take one off my R and replace it because there was a hair under it that drove me nuts... I just got my finger nail under it and it came right off with no issues... looked as if nothing was ever on there ...

sponsored links

754,099 views & 4,857 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.