Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Dec 2020 (Sunday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

City at night shots

Rogan ­ Josh
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2020

Dec 13, 2020 18:18 |  #1

Hello to everyone. I'm new and have come on here to try and get more out of my EOS 7D. I basically haven't got a clue and just point and aim and hope for the best. I apologise in advance for my very basic questions which may seem obvious to many, but I really would appreciate your tips and advice, and I can take humour and constructive criticism.

One of the many things I would like to learn is how to go about taking 'edgy' or atmospheric night shots in an urban landscape? How would you go about doing this? And is it possible to do this without a tripod?

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,357 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2020 09:53 |  #2

I just found a night city skyline, taken with a 7D, in my web album. But for some reason this forum doesn't allow linking to it, so I can't show it that easy.

Anders

Rogan ­ Josh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2020

Dec 15, 2020 12:27 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #3

That's a shame as would have liked to have seen it. Can I ask what basic requirements you did to get the shot?
Cheers.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,357 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2020 10:33 |  #4

I did it in a different way. Here it is.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Anders

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by Pigpen101. (3 edits in all)

Dec 16, 2020 11:57 |  #5

Welcome! Enjoy the 7D, it's a great camera, mind the ISO. Get a tripod. It can be done without, I set it on something stable & use self timer. If you want "edgy/atmospheric" I'd stay away from festive things. I don't just mean holiday stuff but things like lights from moving cars & a lot of people. Somewhere I have an image of PNC Park during "Light up Night" holiday festivities. There were at least 50 people in the photograph but due to their movement & my long exposure, they are nowhere to be found. Kinda of eerie, the streets look deserted but all of the park's lights are on, suggesting you should see people in the street.

There are many here that will give you better advice.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,868 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 16, 2020 20:37 |  #6

Something you might find useful moving forward.

Back in 1964, a gentleman by name of S.P. Martin took the trouble to develop a handy little "Nighttime Exposure Calculator." It was first published in Popular Photography. The calculator provides a starting exposure (f-stop and shutter speed) depending on the set ISO, for about 26 specific common "scenes." These scenes range from: Fireworks, brightly lit night baseball games, bright moonlit landscapes, dimly lit subway stations, Manhattan-like cityscapes, even Niagara falls at nite....etc.* In recent years it has been modified to make it more suitable for digital work. I have used it for night scenes probably since its original publishing and I have found it reliable to establish an exposure starting point.

You can download it at http://www.stacken.kth​.se/~maxz/files/jiffy.​pdf (external link). I suggest you have it printed at a Staples on high quality white card stock, then cut and assemble. It's easy to use, once assembled.

Rogan ­ Josh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2020

Dec 17, 2020 19:09 as a reply to  @ Pigpen101's post |  #7

Really interesting post. You mentioned the ISO so what kind of range would you be looking at, along with shutter speed (without necessarily doing the long trail lights etc)?
Thanks.

Rogan ­ Josh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2020

Dec 17, 2020 19:10 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #8

Will definitely look into this, thanks ߑ

Rogan ­ Josh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2020

Dec 17, 2020 19:14 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #9

Wow, that's a stunning shot. Love the smoke or mist, which is something I would also go out to capture to add to the atmosphere. Appreciate the spec as well, so at least got something to go by.
Thanks again.

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 17, 2020 19:37 as a reply to  @ Rogan Josh's post |  #10

One of the benefits to using tripods & shutter release/timers is the ability to keep the ISO lower. When it comes to the 7D I recommend the lowest possible, but higher ISO can be very usable if you are good in post production. Everybody has their own ISO noise/grain tolerance level. As far as shutter speed goes, night photography lends itself to longer exposure times. This makes it challenging to freeze things, not impossible. Sometimes noise/grain can add to the moody atmosphere, especially if you intend to go B&W.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,357 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2020 04:25 |  #11

The picture I posted above is taken in Chicago. That's very far from home for me, so I didn't have any tripod available. Hence the relatively high ISO and an exposure time I could manage by hand.

Anders

sponsored links

737 views & 7 likes for this thread
City at night shots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.