Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 10, 2020 12:33 |  #331

That's pretty amazing Tom. Most of us are cooped up. I am glad some are still living a life of adventure.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Grizz1
Goldmember
1,895 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 10, 2020 23:13 as a reply to  @ post 19164795 |  #332

Tom, sounds like you have a plan. I have worked continuously since May except Oct 25th to Nov15th, I did not miss the rut which was tremendous here in Mo. I took my bow instead of camera however and sometimes regret my choice as I had so many deer in front of me everyday. I hunted from daylight until dark each day, almost got it out of my system but will be returning soon when caught up at work. Been thinking of stashing a camera and a long lens in one of our blinds so I don't have to carry it in each day. Also may go photograph waterfowl at one of our reserves if I can get caught up.
And really like your Mule deer, the mass he has is impressive.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by digital paradise.

Dec 11, 2020 13:39 |  #333

By the way everyone. If you are watching the Mandalorian - it's not baby Yoda. The critter is getting a lot of exposure. There is a inflatable Christmas version on the lawn a few doors down.

My friend told me about it so I started to watch it. By about Season 1, episode 3 things were not making any sense. We have the critter which is about 50 years old. Yoda was over 900 when he died. They kept making references to the fallen Empire. The Empire was created until Revenge of the Sith and taken down in Return of the Jedi.

So I looked it up. One site said the child's name was Gruda but that could have been made up so I can't back that. Any official site, advertising, etc refers to it as The Child. We just started to watch season 2 and apparently they explain the timeline in episode 4.

Even though we know this my wife and I call it baby Yoda because it sounds cool. This is what happens when you are going out of your mind COVID bored.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2020 16:09 |  #334

I think most people know this lol! :-D
( Baby Yoda's "official" name is "Grogu" btw )

We don't (yet) have a name for the species that Yoda was,. we didn't really even know there were more, so in this case when they say "Baby Yoda" they mean a baby of the species "Yoda" for lack of another name. (he doesn't get his own name until the latest episode)

This is in fact well within the ridiculously juvenile world of Star Wars naming policy, where a character may be named for his species, like "Mando" The Mandolorian,. ( which of course, if you watch the show he in fact is not even a Mandolorian! In fact oddly in the entire Star Wars Universe we have only gotten to know three "Mandolorians" with any familiarity, Both Fetts, Father and Son, and Mando, and none of them are actually Mandololorians,. ?!)

So "Humo" the Human, what do you say to that? (Terra the Terran has a nicer ring)

Being called Mando the Mandolorian is reminiscent of children's plush toys where the child was too young or simple to invent a name for the plush rabbit, so it is simply called "Bunny". It's good to remember every time you are confronted with Star Wars that Lucas is a giant furry man child that thinks like a 2nd grader most of the time!

In the case of the Star War Universe, it is taken to even more ridiculous levels, with Mando not being a Mandolorian, it's as if the child named his stuffed bunny "Bear" ?

( on a side note, I had always assumed Yoda being 800 plus years old, that he started out looking like one of all the rest of the main characters in Star Wars, ie: human. I assumed his shrunken wrinkled self was what we'd look like if we lived to be 800. Sort of like Golemn in LOTR,.who started out pretty much just a short human. (or hobbitsis) But that was the thinking of a 7th grader, so far more advanced in years than Lucas!)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 11, 2020 16:57 |  #335

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19165383 (external link)
I think most people know this lol! :-D
( Baby Yoda's "official" name is "Grogu" btw )

We don't (yet) have a name for the species that Yoda was,. we didn't really even know there were more, so in this case when they say "Baby Yoda" they mean a baby of the species "Yoda" for lack of another name. (he doesn't get his own name until the latest episode)

This is in fact well within the ridiculously juvenile world of Star Wars naming policy, where a character may be named for his species, like "Mando" The Mandolorian,. ( which of course, if you watch the show he in fact is not even a Mandolorian! In fact oddly in the entire Star Wars Universe we have only gotten to know three "Mandolorians" with any familiarity, Both Fetts, Father and Son, and Mando, and none of them are actually Mandololorians,. ?!)

So "Humo" the Human, what do you say to that? (Terra the Terran has a nicer ring)

Being called Mando the Mandolorian is reminiscent of children's plush toys where the child was too young or simple to invent a name for the plush rabbit, so it is simply called "Bunny". It's good to remember every time you are confronted with Star Wars that Lucas is a giant furry man child that thinks like a 2nd grader most of the time!

In the case of the Star War Universe, it is taken to even more ridiculous levels, with Mando not being a Mandolorian, it's as if the child named his stuffed bunny "Bear" ?

( on a side note, I had always assumed Yoda being 800 plus years old, that he started out looking like one of all the rest of the main characters in Star Wars, ie: human. I assumed his shrunken wrinkled self was what we'd look like if we lived to be 800. Sort of like Golemn in LOTR,.who started out pretty much just a short human. (or hobbitsis) But that was the thinking of a 7th grader, so far more advanced in years than Lucas!)

Thanks. I probably read Grogu but forgot. Right "baby" of the species. Makes sense. Mando's name is Din Djarin. They mentioned in Season 2, episode 2.

The good part is there is a new hybrid saying in our home. "This is the way, I have spoken". My wife rolled her eyes the first time I used that :-) I didn't pick up on Nolte being the voice of Kuiil right away.

Image Editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2020 20:13 |  #336

digital paradise wrote in post #19165399 (external link)
Thanks. I probably read Grogu but forgot. Right "baby" of the species. Makes sense. Mando's name is Din Djarin. They mentioned in Season 2, episode 2.

The good part is there is a new hybrid saying in our home. "This is the way, I have spoken". My wife rolled her eyes the first time I used that :-) I didn't pick up on Nolte being the voice of Kuiil right away.

lol!

That's great. Here's another Star Wars infantile name thing.

The name of the Flagship for the Rebels in "Return of the Jedi" was Mon Calamari.
The Admiral of the Rebel fleet aboard the Mon Calamari, right where an Admiral should be, was an non human fish eyed dude named Admiral Akbar. That was in Return of the Jedi, and so far so good.

Then comics, cartoons and games intervene, and suddenly the next time we see Akbar on the big screen in Rogue One, some years PRIOR to Return of the Jedi chronologically, he is not Admiral Yet, but still Captain of the same vessel, BUT now the name Mon Calamari is not just the name of his ship. But the name of his Species! -?
...And his Planet,
...and the name of the class of cruisers , of which the Mon Calamari is but one example.
... and the name of the only other member of his race we've seen on screen? "Mon Motha"

So Han Solo really should have been the captain of the Millennium Homo Sapien, because he is Homo Sapien,. and the Millennium Homo Sapien is of course a Home Sapien Class frigate,. and, well you might as well just call him Sapien Homo, the Homo Sapien, commander of the Homo Sapien, a Homo Sapien class starship.

Seriously, a 3rd grader would have more imagination than this.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 11, 2020 21:37 |  #337

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19165442 (external link)
lol!

That's great. Here's another Star Wars infantile name thing.

The name of the Flagship for the Rebels in "Return of the Jedi" was Mon Calamari.
The Admiral of the Rebel fleet aboard the Mon Calamari, right where an Admiral should be, was an non human fish eyed dude named Admiral Akbar. That was in Return of the Jedi, and so far so good.

Then comics, cartoons and games intervene, and suddenly the next time we see Akbar on the big screen in Rogue One, some years PRIOR to Return of the Jedi chronologically, he is not Admiral Yet, but still Captain of the same vessel, BUT now the name Mon Calamari is not just the name of his ship. But the name of his Species! -?
...And his Planet,
...and the name of the class of cruisers , of which the Mon Calamari is but one example.
... and the name of the only other member of his race we've seen on screen? "Mon Motha"

So Han Solo really should have been the captain of the Millennium Homo Sapien, because he is Homo Sapien,. and the Millennium Homo Sapien is of course a Home Sapien Class frigate,. and, well you might as well just call him Sapien Homo, the Homo Sapien, commander of the Homo Sapien, a Homo Sapien class starship.

Seriously, a 3rd grader would have more imagination than this.

Lol. Thanks for the info.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2020 13:53 |  #338

Just watched season 2, episode 5 last night where she named the child. I kept hearing the term baby Yoda so much I wasn’t sure how many people might have thought it was. Rosario Dawson makes a good Jedi. ;-)a

Image Editing OK

Lt ­ Colonel
801 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by Lt Colonel.

Dec 15, 2020 12:43 |  #339

Life has been very boring for me this year (except for my daughter's wedding;-)a) living as COVID refugee. Looking at my emails, Marriott, Hilton and Delta miss me as much as I miss them. I never thought I'd say that. We contract support the feds, so they and my company have pretty much halted all travel which health wise is a good thing I guess, but financially not so good. Like Tom, as a contractor, no work no pay. I'd hoped to do a fall trip to Yellowstone and then my annual trip to Bosque del Apache in January. Unfortunately not this year.

I did treat myself to a "mental health" prize in the form of a Canon R6. I've spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos and reading reviews the past few months. However, the most useful information has been reading the actual user experiences here on POTN. Looks like I'm going to need to thin the herd to fund some new faster AF glass for the R6. So far I'm impressed, just got to get that AF dialed in.

On the plus side, I've made one trip down east(eastern NC) to shoot tundra swans and the snow geese should be here soon, so hopefully the whole year will not be a wash.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,959 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2020 15:20 |  #340

OMG, I have been sucked thru a space/time vortex into Big Bang Theory, and I am no longer in POTN!

Or I am suffering from COVID infection induced delirium and brain fog?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020

Dec 16, 2020 22:47 |  #341

We are ramping up for the action of the Americas Cup and Louis Vitton Cup

The place if full of super yachts: with enough electronics and RADAR to class as spy ships!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Tronhard's gallery.

The only challenges are for people trying to get into the country. So far around 90,000 Kiwis, permanent residents, and essential workers have gone through two weeks of managed isolation, and there are queues of people around the world hoping to take their places. So much so, that the government has had to issue a managed isolation voucher system so that airlines don't transport anyone without a reserved spot. Many of the big money yachting enthusiasts have sent their super yachts in ahead and now find that they can't enter the country because they have no vouchers!

Summer in the City!

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Tronhard's gallery.

We even got visited by Santa's cross-dressing elves.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 17, 2020 13:21 |  #342

[QUOTE=Tronhard;191678​34]We are ramping up for the action of the Americas Cup and Louis Vitton Cup

The place if full of super yachts: with enough electronics and RADAR to class as spy ships!!

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from digital paradise's gallery.

The only challenges are for people trying to get into the country. So far around 90,000 Kiwis, permanent residents, and essential workers have gone through two weeks of managed isolation, and there are queues of people around the world hoping to take their places. So much so, that the government has had to issue a managed isolation voucher system so that airlines don't transport anyone without a reserved spot. Many of the big money yachting enthusiasts have sent their super yachts in ahead and now find that they can't enter the country because they have no vouchers!

Summer in the City!

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from digital paradise's gallery.

We even got visited by Santa's cross-dressing elves.[/QUOTE

Good for you. I wish it was still summer. We try to visit our friends once a week in a park. Yesterday it was only -4 Celsius so we brought our lawn chairs and had snowmobile suits on. We were 6 feet apart lol.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 17, 2020 13:23 |  #343

digital paradise wrote in post #19166735 (external link)
Just watched season 2, episode 5 last night where she named the child. I kept hearing the term baby Yoda so much I wasn’t sure how many people might have thought it was. Rosario Dawson makes a good Jedi. ;-)a

An update. My wife nicknamed the child Little Gordo.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 17, 2020 14:43 |  #344

digital paradise wrote in post #19168117 (external link)
An update. My wife nicknamed the child Little Gordo.

By the way the last episode was supposed to be out tomorrow but my friend told me it is out today.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 17, 2020 19:09 |  #345

digital paradise wrote in post #19168153 (external link)
By the way the last episode was supposed to be out tomorrow but my friend told me it is out today.

My apologies. I don’t see it. My friend must have been referring to episode 7.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

26,498 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.