Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 17 Dec 2020 (Thursday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II or 5D MKIV still worth buying?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 04, 2021 15:18 |  #16

duckster wrote in post #19176144 (external link)
If the question was more related to wildlife and landscapes, would you lean to the 5DIV more than the R6? I have the 7DII and it will likely continue to be my dedicated sports body but I will probably be doing less sports after track season this spring.

Vs. an R6, for a body that I intend to use for wildlife and landscapes, I'd probably take the 5D4. But I have had no problem with the 5D4 for wildlife,. Many would prefer the R6's eye AF. (I would too) but I am not sure I'd be willing to give up the 5D4 sensor for the AF advantage.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2021 16:08 as a reply to  @ post 19176144 |  #17

I think the real question for you is the 20mp on the 7D mk II enough for your use case? For me I rarely print and when I do I only go 11x14, so 20mp is far more than enough. A lot of people need the higher resolution for their cases. I think that the AF on the R6 is better overall than the 5D mk IV, so if you are mostly shooting for web and tend to crop in camera instead of later in post then it wont be a problem.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
EOS R6 Gripped | 7D MK II Gripped | 24mm F1.4 | 35mm F2 IS | 24-70mm F2.8L | 70mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,929 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 04, 2021 16:26 |  #18

strobe monkey wrote in post #19168048 (external link)
As per title, are they still worth buying "brand new" ?

Your thoughts appreciated.

To me, no camera is worth buying brand new, at regular price.

I wait until a camera is a couple or a few years old, and then buy a used copy for less than half of the original price, letting someone else suffer most of the depreciation. . Same thing with lenses, cars, tools, etc.

I bought a used 5D Mark 4 a year ago, for $1500. . To me, it was well worth buying it at that price point. . I would not hesitate to buy a used 7D Mark 2 for $600 or less, if I were in the market for a crop sensor body.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 2 months ago by Tronhard.

Jan 04, 2021 16:30 as a reply to  @ post 19176144 |  #19

I have the 5DIV, 7DII and the R6, so I hope I can offer a reasonably decent response with hand-on experience. A lot, to me, depends on the investment you have in EF glass and what you are willing to pay.

I would feel most capable of responding fully if you engaged with the information I outlined in this post: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1512669.

I know the R6 has the EF(EF-S) adapter and I have used it with some of my EF lenses, but the R6 really comes alive with its own native RF glass. I don't know what the market is like in Arizona, but over here in NZ there are not enough R6's to go around. I was hugely fortunate to pick up two with an EF adapter for a good price - but I was a long-term (40 year) customer and they cut me a deal. So while the R6 is, to me a game changer with its IBIS and Eye tracking, you can still get great images with both of the DSLRs. They have never got any less capable as units when they were released, so with care you can still get great shots.

I have used the 5DIV and the 7DII with my Sigma 60-600 lens, and I found the 7DII seriously outperformed the 5DIV in terms of tracking. It still has the best tracking of the Canon DSLRs and if you shoot at the tele end a lot, one also gets the benefit of the crop sensor's reduced FoV, so I shooting with a FoV equivalent to a 960mm lens. I also used it with the rather excellent EF 70-300 IS USM MkII lens. I enclose a couple of on the wing shots:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 04, 2021 16:34 |  #20

These gannets were motoring along and the 7DII's tracking system kept up with them.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 04, 2021 16:37 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19176704 (external link)
To me, no camera is worth buying brand new, at regular price.

I wait until a camera is a couple or a few years old, and then buy a used copy for less than half of the original price, letting someone else suffer most of the depreciation. . Same thing with lenses, cars, tools, etc.

I bought a used 5D Mark 4 a year ago, for $1500. . To me, it was well worth buying it at that price point. . I would not hesitate to buy a used 7D Mark 2 for $600 or less, if I were in the market for a crop sensor body.

Hi Tom - great to catch up with you. Happy new year!!!!

I have resolved the problem of depreciation by never selling any gear! :-D So, now I have a menagerie of equipment going back 40 years, but it doesn't matter if a lot of it is worth little, in fact it gives me even more reason to keep it...  :p

Trevor

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 04, 2021 16:48 |  #22

The Fox wrote in post #19176695 (external link)
I think the real question for you is the 20mp on the 7D mk II enough for your use case? For me I rarely print and when I do I only go 11x14, so 20mp is far more than enough. A lot of people need the higher resolution for their cases. I think that the AF on the R6 is better overall than the 5D mk IV, so if you are mostly shooting for web and tend to crop in camera instead of later in post then it wont be a problem.

To me, a lot depends on what the subjects are and how much the of the tele multiplier effect one wants. With the same lens on both bodies the7DII gives a crop value of 1.6 with all of its 20MP in play. If one used the 5DIV, to get the same field of view by cropping then the effective MP value would be 20MP /1.6 / 1.6 = 8MP for the same image. So the 7DII is ther winner there by far.

Rumor hath it that Canon are considering a R7 (crop) body in 2021, based on the R6 body and will issue some RF-S lenses to match. If that is so, then that should be the upgrade the 7DII would have got.

Trevor

duckster
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 342 photos
Joined May 2017

Jan 04, 2021 19:00 |  #23

The Fox wrote in post #19176695 (external link)

I have been trying to print more but usually in 8x10 range. Have done a couple larger but not often.

duckster
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined May 2017

Jan 04, 2021 19:08 |  #24

I have been completely happy with the 7DII as a primary camera for sports. But as I think of transitioning to different subject matter, I thought about a different body. The eye focus on the ML bodies appears awesome, in the videos I have seen and the photos posted here but as Tronhard's BIF photos above show, the 7DII can do some wonderful shots in the right hands. I have not done much BIF stuff, mostly static birds and larger animals so far, but I like doing rural landscapes, farmsteads and old barns and such. We have a lot of that kind of subject here in the Great Plains. Makes me think that maybe the eye AF of the ML would be wasted and I would get more out of the increased resolution of a 5DIV sensor. Most of my EF lenses are telephotos, 70-200, 70-300 and 100-400 with the 50 mm STM as my only shorter EF lens.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2021 21:12 |  #25

Great shots Trevor!

Interesting that you feel your 7D2's tracking is superior to the 5D4. I still shoot both, and feel the 5D4 has the slight edge. To me though it's near as makes no difference. The larger benefit re: AF is having no "brakes" applied when I add a t-con, and maintaining all AF points @ f/8.

Love Gannets, an absolute personal favorite bird since seeing them nesting in Newfoundland when i was young, akin to a religious moment. I just adore them. However to me, they posed no challenge for "birds in flight" even back when I was shooting with a 1D2 and 10D. They are large (6 foot wingspan) and glide along with no erratic switching. They also habitat where busy backgrounds tend to not be a problem as seen in your images.

The Pied Kingfisher is much harder for a camera's AF system to keep up with, and these were taken with the 5D4 at 700mm with a 1.4X on a 500mm. (The 7D2 would have managed similarly I am sure, but I was always more comfortable with the 100-400mm II on the 7D2.)

And some busier backgrounds, same set up;

IMAGE: https://jakehegnauer.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3036832545.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://jakehegnauer.z​enfolio.com/p498968184​/eb5026321  (external link)

IMAGE: https://jakehegnauer.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3036832599.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://jakehegnauer.z​enfolio.com/p498968184​/eb5026357  (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 2 months ago by Tronhard.

Jan 04, 2021 22:43 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #26

Jake, those are truly excellent images and I totally respect how much more challenging they are with this subject! :-)

As to the performance of the 7DII vs the 5DIV. My opinion was based on my own experience, but I did a quick check and found these sites that seems to succinctly review the pro's and con's of the two cameras.

https://www.imaging-resource.com …k-ii/vs/canon/5d-mark-iv/ (external link) and
https://cameradecision​.com …V-vs-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II (external link)

The 7DII has more cross type focusing points 65 to the 5D4's 42 and (since I shoot that way) it has a faster rate of saving JPG and RAW images 9.5 to 7.0.

Frankly, a lot depends on how one has set up the focusing to begin with. There are so many options that I can see us getting different results so easily. However, I think that one can say that if IBIS and Animal Eye focus are not necessary, and especially if one has a decent investment in EF glass, then either of these units might be a good bet and much cheaper than the R6.

Trevor

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 04, 2021 22:52 |  #27

I have found them to be pretty close in performance, however they cannot be set up with the same AF settings. It took me two to three NBA games to learn this painful lesson. Once I did get things sorted out on the 5d4, it was as good if not better in some situations over my 7d2, to the point I eventually sold the cropper.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

duckster
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined May 2017

Jan 04, 2021 23:00 |  #28

Does the 5DIV have a touch screen to change settings? That is something that I thought would be a nice feature sometimes.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2021 01:08 |  #29

duckster wrote in post #19176915 (external link)
Does the 5DIV have a touch screen to change settings? That is something that I thought would be a nice feature sometimes.

5D4 does, 7D2 does not, which often throws me as they are so similar in size and layout. The little differences often take me off guard when they reveal themselves. They are so similar in so many ways.

But yes, the 5D4 is newer and it has the touch screen.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

colintf
313 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 05, 2021 04:24 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #30

can the touch screen facility be switched off?
I fear I might change something accidentally if I cant.
thanks
Colin

sponsored links

2,009 views & 46 likes for this thread
7D II or 5D MKIV still worth buying?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.