Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2020 (Wednesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,994 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2021 14:23 |  #1261

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19176769 (external link)
As an update, my Meike adapter is still working very well, and they are in stock.

https://www.amazon.com …+rf&qid=1609805​063&sr=8-6 (external link)

Hey TeamSpeed and others! I'm going to pick up an R6 soon and just wonder how secure the connection between the body and Meike adapter is? I'm planning to use the R6 frequently with a 100-400 II and 1.4x TC attached. I've read some reviews on Amazon and seems like people are saying that the Canon adapter clicks in place with security pins but the Meike does not. Any first hand knowledge is welcome. And, sorry if I missed this detail earlier in the thread, I only read the last few pages.

Mark O.
Gear List & Gallery

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,915 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 06, 2021 14:46 as a reply to  @ amyandmark3's post |  #1262

Mine is fine, but amazon cust service is good, you can just return it if you have an issue.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,878 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 06, 2021 22:45 |  #1263

Hey Carey,

I've got a favor to ask. I wonder if now that you are shooting the R6 if you could write up an serious comparison/review.

When the R, R5, and R6 were just initially being talked about, you had a lot of experience (rare experience, almost exclusive on this forum) with the M series. I can't recall which model, but I recall reading your posts mentioning a lot of similarities between the two series.
It stands to reason that Canon was "sandboxing" with the M series and a lot of the success of the R is due to what Canon learned with the M series.

So now, you have both in your hands, no?

Many of us "optical viewfinder" only people have come around with the R, and to me that means that suddenly your talk about how impressive the M series was seems to carry more weight :) :oops:

So, here's the question;

Would you be willing to write up a comparison between how the R6 compares to the M you are shooting?
As talk of an EOS R7 is going around, I can't help but keep thinking that the R7 already exists in the M6II with that same 90D sensor!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2021 07:00 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #1264

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to say this. If I could buy my M6 Mk II in an "R" body with an R battery today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'm not even sure I'd care if they added anything.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,915 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2021 08:40 |  #1265

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19177956 (external link)
Hey Carey,

I've got a favor to ask. I wonder if now that you are shooting the R6 if you could write up an serious comparison/review.

When the R, R5, and R6 were just initially being talked about, you had a lot of experience (rare experience, almost exclusive on this forum) with the M series. I can't recall which model, but I recall reading your posts mentioning a lot of similarities between the two series.
It stands to reason that Canon was "sandboxing" with the M series and a lot of the success of the R is due to what Canon learned with the M series.

So now, you have both in your hands, no?

Many of us "optical viewfinder" only people have come around with the R, and to me that means that suddenly your talk about how impressive the M series was seems to carry more weight :) :oops:

So, here's the question;

Would you be willing to write up a comparison between how the R6 compares to the M you are shooting?
As talk of an EOS R7 is going around, I can't help but keep thinking that the R7 already exists in the M6II with that same 90D sensor!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have the M50 and R6 (and had an R).

The M50 functionality/behavior​, to me, felt like it was very close to the R. Touch screen to focus, including defining a quandrant, and many other general things were very similar. I think the RP and R really built off the M series (like the M5), but with a FF sensor and a new mount.

AF isn't quite up to the speed, but acts the same, but you do get 10fps.
Noise is a bit worse than the 7D2 (just a bit), and obviously worse than the R.
Eye AF works pretty well, and behaves just like the R did before Canon updated the firmware for the R which made eye AF better.
Silent shutter exists too, but it has to be in some sort of strict shooting mode to activate that.
EVF looks pretty close to the R, probably though exactly the same as the RP.
Battery life is terrible.

Quite frankly, I think the best statement I can make on the M50 is that "it is the crop equivalent to the RP, but better framerate."

The R6 is much better on all fronts, better configurability, better AF, etc and slightly better noise handling than the R, but less resolution. If Canon would make an M6II style camera in the R mount format with the R6/R5 AF speed and higher framerates, it would definitely sell, especially due to the pixel density. If they offer the M50 type of pixel density in an R mount, I am not sure it would be as easily accepted.

I went with the M50 because I wanted the integrated EVF and not have to buy another add-on, and because I sold the 7D2, I missed having a crop body, and finally it is very travel friendly. Some perks since that decision is the ability to add a speedbooster which gives me back a FF view on the crop sensor with an extra stop light, a few 3rd party very fast small lenses like the 50 1.2, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

gossamer88
"something else"
1,866 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 07, 2021 09:30 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #1266

I've been wanting the M50 for a while now but have not pulled the trigger because I have the 7D2. The portability factor and the flippy screen are the reasons. Especially now that I have the R6, gettin' down low w/o a flippy screen is getting old, especially when you're (me) old! LOL

R6 | 7D II | iPhone 12 Pro | 60D | M10
800mm F11 | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C | 70-200mm IS II
24-105L | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM

flickr (external link)

Tronhard
612 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 07, 2021 11:13 |  #1267

I just gained half a kilo just looking at that...:rolleyes:

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,878 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 07, 2021 11:43 |  #1268

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19178074 (external link)
I have the M50 and R6 (and had an R).

The M50 functionality/behavior​, to me, felt like it was very close to the R. Touch screen to focus, including defining a quandrant, and many other general things were very similar. I think the RP and R really built off the M series (like the M5), but with a FF sensor and a new mount.

AF isn't quite up to the speed, but acts the same, but you do get 10fps.
Noise is a bit worse than the 7D2 (just a bit), and obviously worse than the R.
Eye AF works pretty well, and behaves just like the R did before Canon updated the firmware for the R which made eye AF better.
Silent shutter exists too, but it has to be in some sort of strict shooting mode to activate that.
EVF looks pretty close to the R, probably though exactly the same as the RP.
Battery life is terrible.

Quite frankly, I think the best statement I can make on the M50 is that "it is the crop equivalent to the RP, but better framerate."

The R6 is much better on all fronts, better configurability, better AF, etc and slightly better noise handling than the R, but less resolution. If Canon would make an M6II style camera in the R mount format with the R6/R5 AF speed and higher framerates, it would definitely sell, especially due to the pixel density. If they offer the M50 in an R mount, I am not sure it would be as easily accepted.

I went with the M50 because I wanted the integrated EVF and not have to buy another add-on, and because I sold the 7D2, I missed having a crop body, and finally it is very travel friendly. Some perks since that decision is the ability to add a speedbooster which gives me back a FF view on the crop sensor with an extra stop light, a few 3rd party very fast small lenses like the 50 1.2, etc.

Thanks Boss, this helps a lot in understanding where the capabilities rank. Having owned the R and now the R5 I am well aware of the significant differences between these iterations. If the M6II is more of a smaller faster APS-C R Vs. a smaller R6, that makes a pretty big difference in how I would view it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,915 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 07, 2021 11:46 |  #1269

The power of the M series is portability, plain and simple. Samyang makes some killer lenses for the M mount, like the 12.0 f2, 50 1.2, etc. Very small but extremely useful lenses, but then you can add in the Viltrox speedbooster that removes the crop factor (or close), and gives you a stop of light back. It makes the M50 almost like a baby FF body minus the better FF noise handling.

So the M series is portable and very versatile. This is one of the reasons it sells so well in some of the other countries where people are likely to be a bit more active and walk/bike just about everywhere. You don't need a big bag to hold the M series and a couple very nice fast lenses. You can then also use EF and EFS lenses too.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,878 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 07, 2021 12:04 |  #1270

Now that I have grown to like the Canon EVF, that M6 II is looking very good to me.
The removeable EVF for the portability factor is a big plus. I'm in no rush to get another camera, but I'll be keeping an eye out for refurbs etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

royd63uk
92 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2020

Jan 07, 2021 13:07 |  #1271

Pintail Duck R6 and rf800 f11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dlee13
Cream of the Crop
5,000 posts
Gallery: 687 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2021 14:14 |  #1272

Tronhard wrote in post #19178122 (external link)
I just gained half a kilo just looking at that...:rolleyes:

Imagine how much I gained eating the whole cake myself :p

Canon EOS R6 - Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 - Canon RF 85mm f/2
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by strobe monkey.

Jan 07, 2021 14:17 |  #1273

Dear R6 owners, do you miss the LCD screen on the top right? Is there a similar screen on the back that shows you everything, or do you have to flip through pages ?

I've decided to get an R6. but the lack of the top LCD is what is making think.

6D, EF16-35 F4L IS, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
40D, 50D, 7D, 5D, 5D MKII, EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

steveb108
356 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jan 07, 2021 14:37 as a reply to  @ strobe monkey's post |  #1274

I thought I'd miss that top screen and before I bought the R6 it was a preference. Using the camera now, I never think of that screen nor miss it. It's easy enough to get information on back screen.

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,494 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2021 14:50 |  #1275

I wonder if anyone is having difficulty with the R6 EVF in bright light. Today we had clear sunny skies and also brilliant white snow so plenty of light. Even cranking the EVF level to 5 I found it to be too dim. That is not so much of a problem on cloudy days but I still need it set to 4. Today I had the 100-400 on with 2x and shooting at F11 or F13. I'm thinking that combination may be part of the problem. Shooting this sitting Hawk did not cause too much of a problem whereas birds in flight or even Goldeneyes on the water did.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50810849848_926b86736c_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …50810849848/in/​datetaken/  (external link)
Red-tailed Hawk (external link)] by Don Cassel on Flickr

Don
Canon EOS R6, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-105mm, EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

128,545 views & 4,133 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.