Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2020 (Wednesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

gossamer88
"something else"
1,891 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Aug 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by gossamer88.

Jan 07, 2021 14:51 |  #1276

strobe monkey wrote in post #19178205 (external link)
Dear R6 owners, do you miss the LCD screen on the top right? Is there a similar screen on the back that shows you everything, or do you have to flip through pages ?

I've decided to get an R6. but the lack of the top LCD is what is making think.

Was not a consideration for me as I very rarely used it on my 5D/7D.

R6 | 7D II | iPhone 12 Pro | 60D | M10
800mm F11 | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C | 70-200mm IS II
24-105L | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Dlee13
Cream of the Crop
5,003 posts
Gallery: 691 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2021 15:21 |  #1277

Dear R6 owners, do you miss the LCD screen on the top right? Is there a similar screen on the back that shows you everything, or do you have to flip through pages ?

I owned the 6D/6DII and almost never used the top screen so it’s not something I miss.

Canon EOS R6 - Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 - Canon RF 85mm f/2
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 07, 2021 15:27 |  #1278

steveb108 wrote in post #19178212 (external link)
I thought I'd miss that top screen and before I bought the R6 it was a preference. Using the camera now, I never think of that screen nor miss it. It's easy enough to get information on back screen.

Agreed.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2021 16:57 |  #1279

I had that top display on the R, and never used it, so I knew going into the R6 purchase, it wasn't a concern. You can hit the Q button (external link) to get way more info than you get on the top display, and you can even change things if you would like, that Q button has been around for a very long time, the rebels that never had a top screen made use of the Q screen.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2021 17:01 |  #1280

One of the things holding me back still is the versatility afforded by that mode dial and top display to select video modes. For those of you using the R6 for video, do you miss not having anything but full auto and full manual? It seems so counter-productive and unnecessary to me, and frankly; I don't understand why they did it.

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tronhard.

Jan 07, 2021 17:10 |  #1281

Personally, I have 2 xR6 units and have no issue whatsoever with the lack of LCD on the top. When I am shooting I am looking through the viewfinder in any case, so I get all the information I need from there. Otherwise I just look at the rear LCD which is much bigger anyway. I don't shoot video, let alone 8K, and I don't need the extra MP rating, considering the difference in the cost. I invested that in glass and the battery grips.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tronhard. (6 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2021 17:34 as a reply to  @ post 19178140 |  #1282

If I may make my own response to Jake's query about the relative merits of the M-series and the R6.

I have 3 x EOS M5's plus almost the whole range of EF-M lenses. I went that way when my injured knee could not hack the weight of walking any distance with a DSLR and lenses. I also have 2 x R6 units with the RF 24-105 f/4 and 100-500 lenses (+ battery grips). I avoided any of the M-series that did not have an integrated viewfinder, which left the M-5 and the M-50. As one who uses telephotos or just wants the stability I prefer a built-in viewfinder I tried the clip-on ones and rejected them as clumsy, bulky and fragile.

For me the M5, although earlier, was more of a still photographer's camera than the M50. First because of the extra control to manage EV compensation on the top of the M5 that was missing on the M50 and the M50 seemed to have been tweaked toward Vloggers, which it managed very successfully. To me, and looking at comparisons, the M5 was roughly equivalent to the EOS 80D with minor differences ending up about equal overall.

The R6 is a different beast. Eye Tracking and a super fast and efficient 20MP FF sensor, giving it an edge of about 1 stop EV over the R5, according to several technical reviews that I have seen - mostly because of the larger pixel size.

So, to me, the questions are: who would want one over the other and why?

1. Budget. The M-series is significantly cheaper, and so are the current lenses. Obviously the main body of RF glass is aimed at the higher end of the market as are the bodies. At one time I would have said any EOS 5D was going to be significantly better and more expensive than something with a 6D ID, but that has narrowed significantly as the main attributes IBIS, tracking and customization are all common to both the R5 and R6. So to me, the M and R ecosystems are aimed at two different markets, especially on price point.

I enclose some images taken on a hike at the Tongiriro National Park - formed around two active volcanoes in NZ's central North Island. All hand-held. For my purposes they did the job well, considering I was on a multi-day hike and wanted to keep the weight and bulk down.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50812281632_fe597496e5_h.jpg
Early Morning on the day I began my multi-day hike

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50812166416_4fae3cb604_h.jpg
Shooting into the sun to catch the mist rising from the valleys and around Mt Ngaruahoe volcanic cone

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50812279712_d5010af390_b.jpg
A close-up of a fungus in dim conditions

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50812285502_d5c7fbba6c_b.jpg
Just before dawn, the morning light silhouettes Mt Ngaruahoe with a crescent moon and Venus below.

2. Size: while the R-series bodies have reduced somewhat in size, the lenses are not that small, especially compared to the bodies and glass of the M-series. So again, different markets. The M series is great for travelers or hikers, or anyone who wants a very compact size MILC with not earth-shattering but acceptable lenses. I took 2 M5's hiking along with a lens on each and was very happy with the results. What is missing in the EF-M native lens line-up is something that approaches 300mm. Canon Rumors is suggesting that will be rectified this year, along with a potential M-7 that would be the equivalent of the EOS 90D but with IBIS, eye tracking, fully-articulated flip screen, and upgraded sensor and processor. If so that would likely keep a lot of M-series clients happy with their ecosystem and I would consider getting an M7 myself (and a EF-M 70-300 too). Time will tell. The M-50 is a great vloggers' camera, although the M50mkII was more hype than substance IMHO.

3. Compatibility: Both the M series and R series can access the vast legacy collection of EF and EF-S glass, but they do not have compatibility with each other, another thing that suggests there was no market overlap intended.

4. Input Output: Well a lot depends on the glass again. Both can work with the EF and EF-S lenses to make use of an enormous range of legacy gear. The improved sensor and processor of the R6 and its size mean that one can work in lower light and produce bigger prints than the older tech of the M-5. But if the mass of people are likely to work in more favourable conditions and willing to forego some performance for cost and size then the M-series would be great for tourists and travelers. The R6, while having lower MP count, has much uprated technology and could potentially provide better performance and larger prints, especially using the native RF lenses.

5. Ergonomics: The old question, 'what are you prepared to carry" becomes very apropos here... M5 bodies are small and so are the lenses, there are no battery grips, so it keeps things compact. The R6 is relatively small for a FF body, but the glass adds a lot of bulk and weight, and if you really want the performance you likely want a battery grip, so it bulks out a bit more.

In the end, I see the M-series as catering to those who favour serious compact size with reasonable performance at a lower price point, while the R6 is planting a stake in the ground for the new high-end Pro-sumer MILC market, where size and price are less of an issue, but performance and control are.

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 08, 2021 00:39 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #1283

Thanks for the detailed answer Trevor, much appreciated!

I'm truly eyeing that M6II, but now understanding more about them, I am going to wait more and see what Canon does with both the M series and the rumored R7.

My "wish" would be an M6 III with the same removable EVF,. but with the current R5 AF system inside :)
This would be a perfect travel camera and it could serve as my 2nd body slung over the shoulder with a more compact zoom, when the R5 is sporting the big lens.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tronhard
646 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tronhard.

Jan 08, 2021 22:09 |  #1284

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19178393 (external link)
Thanks for the detailed answer Trevor, much appreciated!

I'm truly eyeing that M6II, but now understanding more about them, I am going to wait more and see what Canon does with both the M series and the rumored R7.

My "wish" would be an M6 III with the same removable EVF,. but with the current R5 AF system inside :)
This would be a perfect travel camera and it could serve as my 2nd body slung over the shoulder with a more compact zoom, when the R5 is sporting the big lens.

For myself, I think the features of the m6II would be very attractive if it had a built-in EVF. I just hate those add-on units: to me they are expensive, clunky, bulky and as such, considering they sit on the hotshoe, vulnerable to damage - not to mention they use up the hotshoe so one cannot add a more powerful and self-powered flash unit.

Trevor

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2021 04:36 |  #1285

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #19178049 (external link)
You didn't ask me, but I'm going to say this. If I could buy my M6 Mk II in an "R" body with an R battery today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'm not even sure I'd care if they added anything.

Animal eye AF is kind of addicting, though, and hard to lose if you've come to depend on it.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2021 04:53 |  #1286

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19178143 (external link)
The power of the M series is portability, plain and simple. Samyang makes some killer lenses for the M mount, like the 12.0 f2, 50 1.2, etc. Very small but extremely useful lenses, but then you can add in the Viltrox speedbooster that removes the crop factor (or close), and gives you a stop of light back. It makes the M50 almost like a baby FF body minus the better FF noise handling.

It should only give significantly more than FF noise at base ISO; at higher ISOs, you would be using a lower ISO on the APS-C with the speedbooster (just as if you were comparing FF with a TC vs APS-C without a TC). Comparing full images from different size sensors at the same ISO has no practical meaning when shutter speed or f-number prevents base ISO, or you are not using the entire frame of the larger sensor.

cputeq007
585 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2021 07:52 |  #1287

I think the *idea* of a top plate is more useful than in practice.

Honestly I don’t see the point and don’t understand that hangup. Everything (and much more) a top plate gives you is available on the LCD and EVF.

I mean YEAH I always glanced at the top when I shot Nikon, but Ive been shooting Sony mirrorless for years - you just look at back vs top. No big deal.

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 09, 2021 08:07 |  #1288

John Sheehy wrote in post #19178906 (external link)
Animal eye AF is kind of addicting, though, and hard to lose if you've come to depend on it.

I guess it would be for wildlife and bird folks, but I have never shot wildlife or birds and have no interest at all outside my own pets on rare occasion and I can live without it for that.

Based on the thread, I'm 100% convinced that if you don't shoot birds, you don't need an R5. That's the main reason I've decided to get an R6, maybe. Based on the thread over there, that's all it's good for. :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 09, 2021 08:15 |  #1289

Eye AF was outstanding at my last wedding, and the only thing flying around there were the garter and bouquets!

Eye AF is wonderful for portraiture as well, no more spot AF and recompose, just get focus on the eyes, and compose in camera and take the shot.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,404 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 09, 2021 08:28 |  #1290

I've been shooting with 1D bodies for many years and the top LCD was basically the only screen I ever looked at, so I too was a bit worried about the R6 not having one, but it only took a few outings to get used to looking at the rear LCD screen. And that screen has all the info one would need and then some.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

133,441 views & 4,277 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.