Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2020 (Wednesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Tronhard
612 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tronhard. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2021 11:30 |  #1291

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #19178961 (external link)
I guess it would be for wildlife and bird folks, but I have never shot wildlife or birds and have no interest at all outside my own pets on rare occasion and I can live without it for that.

Based on the thread, I'm 100% convinced that if you don't shoot birds, you don't need an R5. That's the main reason I've decided to get an R6, maybe. Based on the thread over there, that's all it's good for. :lol:

The R6 and R5 both share the same IBIS, Auto-focus and Eye tracking systems, so your comment doesn't really make sense to me. The big differences between the R5 and R6 are:

1 Sensor Size. The R6 has the smaller 20MP unit based on that in the EOS 1DIII, while the R5 has a new 45MP sensor. This distinction has two implications: the smaller pixel count means larger pixels in the R6, so according to the reports I have read it has about 0.5-1 EV improvement of DR over the R5. On the other hand, the 50% greater pixel count of the R5 makes is suitable for situations where significant cropping might be desirable, or for resolution of very fine detail such as landscapes or situations where very extremely large, very high quality prints are going to be generated - perhaps studio or fashion photography.

2. Video.
The video capabilities of the R6 are impressive but they don't include 8k, which the R5 does. While perhaps a niche market currently, the trend is towards more and more video resolution, so this is maturing market.

3. File Size. Logically leads on from sensor size and video output. The smaller sensor of the R6 is more agile in saving and transmitting images, which is why it is in the EOS 1DIII, a camera favoured by sport and journalistic photographers. The fact that the R5 takes 8k video has demanded that its throughput of the significantly bigger files be higher. This results in the inclusion of the Express CF as well as the SD card in the R5, while the R6 has (for still photographers) the much more convenient and cheaper dual SD cards.

4. Weather Sealing. The R5 has enhanced weather sealing over the R6, so it is intended more for the rigors of professional shooters over enthusiasts who have a choice not to shoot in less than optimal conditions, less so a pro.

5. Cost. Of course, one of the biggest differences is price... The R6 is a great enthusiasts camera, or a backup unit for professionals who want the extra features of the R5.

In conclusion, both the R5 and R6 have similar capabilities in focusing and tracking, but the R6 is more of a photographer's camera and less a videographers, compared to the R5's 8k video capabilities.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

sponsored links
WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by WilsonFlyer.

Jan 09, 2021 11:43 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #1292

Apparently the joke went right over your head. :)

I am extremely familiar with the features of both cameras. Thank for the 411 though.

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tronhard.

Jan 09, 2021 12:15 |  #1293

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #19179043 (external link)
Apparently the joke went right over your head. :)

I am extremely familiar with the features of both cameras. Thank for the 411 though.

Apparently it did, and may have done for others too who may not be familiar with the cameras or your sense of humour. I'm not sure what a 411 is. -?

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,854 posts
Gallery: 2022 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 09, 2021 12:28 |  #1294

Tronhard wrote in post #19179053 (external link)
Apparently it did, and may have done for others too who may not be familiar with the cameras or your sense of humour. I'm not sure what a 411 is. -?

I think it is 018 for you. You dial 411 for directory assistance in the USA.

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 09, 2021 12:46 |  #1295

Capn Jack wrote in post #19179057 (external link)
I think it is 018 for you. You dial 411 for directory assistance in the USA.

OK... Some cultural disorientation going on here. Not to worry.

Trevor

gossamer88
"something else"
1,866 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 09, 2021 12:49 |  #1296

Haha forgot about 411 for "Info"...:-P

I chose the R6 because I did not want to deal with HUGE files on my 2016 touch bar and of course the cost of the CFexpress cards. Not to mention the $1400 savings here in the US.

R6 | 7D II | iPhone 12 Pro | 60D | M10
800mm F11 | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C | 70-200mm IS II
24-105L | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM

flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by WilsonFlyer. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2021 13:04 |  #1297

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #19178961 (external link)
I guess it would be for wildlife and bird folks, but I have never shot wildlife or birds and have no interest at all outside my own pets on rare occasion and I can live without it for that.

Explained: Animal eye auto focus is great. If you don't shoot wildlife, it's great to have, but not a selling point. Human eye focus matters way more to the mass market of camera users.

Based on the thread, I'm 100% convinced that if you don't shoot birds, you don't need an R5. That's the main reason I've decided to get an R6, maybe. Based on the thread over there, that's all it's good for. :lol:

Explained: This was the joke. $4000 worth of camera in the US and virtually every shot in the R5 thread is of a bird. Hence the joke that if you're not shooting birds, you don't need an R5. I guess you had to follow those threads to get that.

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 09, 2021 13:47 as a reply to  @ WilsonFlyer's post |  #1298

Ah.. Now that I have that context, it makes sense! :lol:

As you surmised, I never went to the R5 thread and just took you at your (serious) word! Oops...

Well, I mean the R5 is an awesome camera at bird photography, but I am a bit surprised that there are not some landscape shots showing heavy cropping, just to show off those extra MP.

Trevor

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,389 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 09, 2021 14:15 |  #1299

Went out yesterday for a walk in the park. Shot some birds with the 300/4L and a Kenko 1.4xTC, wanting to know what the results would be. So I come home and realise I had been shooting in crop mode. A left over from the night before and I had forgotten to turn it back to full mode. :rolleyes: Not that it matters, there wasn't much to shoot anyway. Except a couple of Egyptian geese. As I was kneeling down one of them became very curious and came way too close to fit into the frame. Which was lucky, shooting in crop mode and all...  :p

Results with the Kenko 1.4xTC weren't too bad, but not as good as I had expected. I probably need to get me the EF 1.4 III but to be buying that now, after switching to the RF mount, I don't know, seems like a waste of money. I'm thinking of trying the hack where you file off the innards of a cheap EF-EOS R mount adapter so the RF extenders fit. Seems to work well.

Anyway, the nosy, backlit bird. In crop mode but uncropped by me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,878 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 09, 2021 15:15 |  #1300

Tronhard wrote in post #19179087 (external link)
Ah.. Now that I have that context, it makes sense! :lol:

As you surmised, I never went to the R5 thread and just took you at your (serious) word! Oops...

Well, I mean the R5 is an awesome camera at bird photography, but I am a bit surprised that there are not some landscape shots showing heavy cropping, just to show off those extra MP.

All the best Landscapes shots remain in the 5D4 thread near as I can tell :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 09, 2021 15:33 |  #1301

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19179124 (external link)
All the best Landscapes shots remain in the 5D4 thread near as I can tell :)

I should confuse things even more by offering shots with my 53MB 5DsR! :-D

Trevor

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,494 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 09, 2021 16:58 |  #1302

A couple of inflight shots today in bright sunshine. Finally!
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50818806167_b741381bef_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …50818806167/in/​datetaken/  (external link)
Common Goldeneye (external link)] by Don Cassel on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50818707916_78d266004c_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …50818707916/in/​datetaken/  (external link)
Common Goldeneye (external link)] by Don Cassel on Flickr

Don
Canon EOS R6, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-105mm, EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,494 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 09, 2021 17:02 |  #1303

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #19179099 (external link)
Went out yesterday for a walk in the park. Shot some birds with the 300/4L and a Kenko 1.4xTC, wanting to know what the results would be. So I come home and realise I had been shooting in crop mode. A left over from the night before and I had forgotten to turn it back to full mode. :rolleyes: Not that it matters, there wasn't much to shoot anyway. Except a couple of Egyptian geese. As I was kneeling down one of them became very curious and came way too close to fit into the frame. Which was lucky, shooting in crop mode and all...  :p

Results with the Kenko 1.4xTC weren't too bad, but not as good as I had expected. I probably need to get me the EF 1.4 III but to be buying that now, after switching to the RF mount, I don't know, seems like a waste of money. I'm thinking of trying the hack where you file off the innards of a cheap EF-EOS R mount adapter so the RF extenders fit. Seems to work well.

Anyway, the nosy, backlit bird. In crop mode but uncropped by me.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Levina de Ruijter in
./showthread.php?p=191​79099&i=i137602662
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I use the EF 1.4 III regularly Levina. It is my go to addition to the EF 100-400 II. I also like the 2.0 III but find that my success rate is much lower. Not a problem with the equipment but my ability to find and track the subject.

Don
Canon EOS R6, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-105mm, EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
Cream of the Crop
5,000 posts
Gallery: 687 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 09, 2021 17:16 |  #1304

So as someone who swapped over from an A7III, I can confidently say the R6 can easily match the Sony in terms of DR and I don't feel any difference when editing the files in terms of DR/Shadow recovery. For example the image below is at ISO 100 and only adjusted in LR and not much usual full edit in PS.

Before

IMAGE: https://www.photosbydlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/05A0582-2.jpg

After

IMAGE: https://www.photosbydlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/05A0582.jpg

The adjustments
IMAGE: https://www.photosbydlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Screenshot-2021-01-10-100932.jpg

I was really impressed with the tiny amount of noise from such a large push which I usually wouldn't do, but wanted to as a test.

Canon EOS R6 - Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 - Canon RF 85mm f/2
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

prime80
Goldmember
2,389 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 09, 2021 20:29 |  #1305

Dlee13 wrote in post #19179175 (external link)
So as someone who swapped over from an A7III, I can confidently say the R6 can easily match the Sony in terms of DR and I don't feel any difference when editing the files in terms of DR/Shadow recovery. For example the image below is at ISO 100 and only adjusted in LR and not much usual full edit in PS.

Before
QUOTED IMAGE

After
QUOTED IMAGE

The adjustments
QUOTED IMAGE

I was really impressed with the tiny amount of noise from such a large push which I usually wouldn't do, but wanted to as a test.

It's amazing how much exposure latitude we have now...

John
R6, 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8
Full Gear List

sponsored links

128,484 views & 4,133 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R6 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.