Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Jan 2021 (Wednesday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Two photos with the Nikon 18-55mm "kit lens" with a lens hood...

ButchA61
32 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2020

Jan 13, 2021 07:55 |  #1

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to grab my Nikon D3500 with the common "kit lens" that came with it -- the 18-55mm AF-P DX f/3.5-4.5 G VR small zoom. I stood on an elevated walkway over the spillway/dam, almost looking into the sun, and had the tulip style lens hood on.

One photo is 24mm (I didn't like it at 18mm, as I had weeds and other junk on the sides), and the other is at 55mm.
I had my Nikon D3500 on "P"rogrammed Auto, so it chose the shutter speed and aperture, but would at lease allow me to make subtle changes it if I wanted...

24mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

55mm

HOSTED PHOTO

The good thing about 24mm, is I didn't get any vignetting with the lens hood. I should have adjusted the aperture a little more tone it down a hair, as the glare from the water fountain is a bit too harsh.
What do you think?

sponsored links
Croasdail
making stuff up
7,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2021 14:09 |  #2

They are over exposed. Not enough contrast as a result. The black aren't really black. You could have come down some and kept more detail in the fountain while not loosing anything in the tree line. Probably more a function of the time of day. Camera seems to be fine. Look at the histogram. Its all shoved to the right. These types of subjects can be a pain....

ButchA61
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Jul 2020

Jan 13, 2021 20:11 |  #3

Thank you... My Nikon D3500 is practically brand new and has no problems at all. You are absolutely right in that I should have adjusted the aperture more to get rid of the glare and harshness.

It was midday right after lunch, and the sun was beating down too. Not exactly the best time for photography.

I learn as I go, always ask questions, and if I screw something up, I delete it and learn what NOT to do.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2021 20:34 as a reply to  @ ButchA61's post |  #4

See what you can recover before you delete it. It will help ya learn how off you can be, and still pull an image back. I am surprised what current tools do with my older stuff taking with a Canon 10D and 20D. Not sure what the dynamic range of your camera, but there my be more there than at fresh blush.

duckster
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined May 2017

Jan 13, 2021 21:07 |  #5

Did you shoot it in RAW?

ButchA61
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Jul 2020

Jan 14, 2021 05:22 |  #6

duckster wrote in post #19181026 (external link)
Did you shoot it in RAW?

No, just the regular Jpeg mode.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,949 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 14, 2021 08:32 |  #7

Before and After

HOSTED PHOTO

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!
You've got the face of an angel and the willy of the Loch Ness monster.

ButchA61
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Jul 2020

Jan 14, 2021 10:43 |  #8

Wow!!! I like it!! It's like a very subtle polarizing filter was added.

sponsored links

120 views & 6 likes for this thread
Two photos with the Nikon 18-55mm "kit lens" with a lens hood...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.