Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Feb 2021 (Monday) 14:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Judge me

DamianG
22 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2020

Feb 15, 2021 14:28 |  #1

Something I personally don’t like is the too much space over her head, yet It’s not that bad.
Also maybe a reflector would help to bright up her face

I got more shots but I’d love to discuss this one

Tell me what you like but mostly what you don’t like and should be improved

Thanks in advance :-)

6D mk ii & 24-105 L ii

1/800
F/4
ISO 125

*Inspired by Jessica Kobeissi

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
5,785 posts
Gallery: 2278 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2021 15:36 |  #2

Since you asked....
The hand she is using to stabilize herself was clipped
Her right arm looks awkward held that way
Maybe just a tad brighter on her face as you already noted. A reflector, or maybe fill flash? Please take my thoughts with tons of salt as I'm absolutely no expert with lighting

Now the other part of critique- she is pretty and you captured that well.
You did a good job in what seems to be difficult lighting. The pose, other than her right arm, is otherwise intriguing and makes you look more at the picture wondering what she may be doing- crossing a stream?

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 15, 2021 16:25 |  #3

I don't shoot people, but will offer my opinion.
I like the fact that you backlit your subject.
The composition is all wrong. Her shoulder in the forground is awkward and like you said, too much space above her head.

flickr (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
8,036 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 15, 2021 17:44 |  #4

I like the lighting... and the clipped hand doesn't bother me much. I don't like that her right hand is totally missing, like she is struggling to keep her skirt sorted. I do like that you tried a non-traditional pose, and are shooting from a low angle without it looking creepy. Well done. Her right arm and had is a bit awkward, doesn't feel very comfortable. Maybe thats what you were trying t achieve... if that is the case... well done. If not... next shoot she if you can sort that bit out. Nicely envisioned.

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
5,814 posts
Gallery: 641 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2021 19:04 |  #5

Agree that the pose is a bit awkward. I like that she's looking straight at the camera - good eye contact !

I'm mainly here for the snacks

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,422 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 16, 2021 06:59 |  #6

I wonder how the shot would have been different if you had turned her 180 degrees so that the bright sky was behind you, not her. There's a bit of glare -- unless that was your intention.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 16, 2021 07:02 |  #7

Agree with the comments of everyone else. How about a tighter crop on just her face / shoulders?

DamianG
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2020
Post edited 8 months ago by DamianG.

Feb 16, 2021 11:09 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #8

That was the plan, but unfortunately there were many people behind me. So I guess in a way I tried to be creative and use what I had :-P

Also, the glare in the upper right corner was made in photoshop , it wasn’t there :-D

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,295 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 16, 2021 11:29 |  #9

DamianG wrote in post #19196329 (external link)
Also, the glare in the upper right corner was made in photoshop , it wasn’t there :-D

Hmmmm.

That looks more like haze than glare.

To my way of thinking, haze and glare are polar opposites. . Glare is directly reflected, hard light, while haze is softly diffused light. . It looks to me like the upper right corner of the frame is very soft and "diffusey", not hard at all like glare would be. . Yet you are calling it glare. . What am I missing?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,951 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 16, 2021 16:02 |  #10

Interesting photo. Her head and body are kind of at their own.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 18, 2021 17:13 |  #11

Her arm looks MASSIVE and the background is too busy. Did you take this at 24mm? Taking a few steps back and zooming in to 105mm would shrink her arm back to normal size.

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links

880 views & 10 likes for this thread
Judge me
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.