Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 03 Apr 2006 (Monday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Shooting 'the streets/candids' - all the tips!

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by kf095.

Mar 10, 2021 05:57 as a reply to  @ post 19206623 |  #361

Public space and private property are not the same.
Google paid some money for lady been little bit too exposed on the private porch by the Google camera vehicle.
It was in NA.

I have no idea where you are. I'm in civilized country mentioned under my avatar. Been taking people's pictures on the streets of Canada and USA since 2007.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pigpen101. (2 edits in all)

Mar 10, 2021 10:23 as a reply to  @ post 19206622 |  #362

Ridiculous! You aim your camera at people without their permission & I'm CREEPY!! "....be a photo model for free. I bet she thinks it not fair." WHAT!! Thank you Kardashian's!!!! When the image hits Vogue, I'll send her a check! I'd bet my life savings she has 1000+ photos of herself on social media. If any of you people think your images are only being seen by your friends, you clueless. Every photo you place on face book becomes their property!

I've been taken pictures since 1985. I'm been working for the newspaper longer than you've been taken street photos. I deal with people every day, including many young children & their parents, I know how to approach & talk to people. In complete modesty, the kids love me in my area!!! You call yourself a street photographer, check out some videos on YouTube of your counterparts. ALL of them are making money from people who NEVER gave permission. A new trend I see is street photos at night...with flash! Popping a flash in someone's face at night, then just walking away, then selling their photo in their zine. I see photos of homeless people sleeping in the street. I'm sure the $$ from that zine went straight to a foodbank! Every time I'm in the city I like to take photos of the street performers, whatever they are doing. Every time I do, I put a few dollars in their pot, I've yet to see 1 video (& I've been watching a lot because I just went back to film) were any $$ given to a street performer or a homeless person.

Give me a break...……..

I live in a civilized, but seldom visited place called REALITY, it's right down the road from Common Sense. Population: Dropping every day.

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 10, 2021 10:33 |  #363

Also, BTW, I mostly take photos of sports, all of my images are taken, sold to the newspaper, & printed for everyone to see, on paper & online. Not 1 of those people have ever been asked/or given permission. There is a website called MaxPreps, they cover high school sports all over the country (I think). Those images are taken without consent, & posted to the website without consent. Actually, even sold without consent. You'd think just the family would want the photos, but any CREEP can purchase photos of people (ALL UNDER 18), including young boys & girls in tight/scanty volleyball, swimming, or wrestling uniforms.

Check this out. If the judge sided with the university, I'd think he'd side with me....

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1520349

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 10, 2021 10:43 |  #364

I just read this.. Sounds predatory to me...

Set the hook not early, not to late. Watch and Wait.

Yea, this is definitely better than asking permission....

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,215 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by kf095.

Mar 10, 2021 22:08 |  #365

Pigpen101 wrote in post #19206818 (external link)
I just read this.. Sounds predatory to me...

Set the hook not early, not to late. Watch and Wait.

Yea, this is definitely better than asking permission....

You can't read indirect wording. ? Set the hook, means recognize the surrounding, figure out what is missing, pre-set and wait for it. It could be bird, car, light changing. It just like fishing, as I mentioned. Find unusual place, set camera and wait. By the time something will happened, you'll be well observed by public, cats, dogs and birds.

Par example:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/846/28715069907_15d368e708_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KKse​Sc  (external link)

I measured the light, decide on framing set focus (goggled Summaron 35 3.5 on M4-2) and just waited for this moment.

You wrote you ain't street photog, not me. I'm not what you used to be or doing now. I'm street photog. Nothing else, nothing more.
This is street photography thread, not **** at entire town thread.

With your attitude (sorry to see it here) this is the advice I should give to you first and foremost.
Best technique to test new film cameras I'm using which is perfectly suitable for you as well is to use focus target to check focus accuracy, preferably at different apertures, preferably with camera on the tripod and focus target well lit.
Use close distance, then one meter and then switch to object at infinity.
You also need to check how camera is exposing. I recommend to use not very fast film. Point camera on something bright. Even couldless sky will do. Check as much as possible shutter speeds. In manual and in shutter priority. If camera supports it. The idea is to see how lens is collimated with camera, how shutter works and how exposure meter works (if any).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Spirit ­ Vision ­ Photography
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2022

Jul 05, 2022 23:56 |  #366

condyk wrote in post #1360212 (external link)
Ok, here is the aspiration:

To get more people out shooting 'the streets/candids', doing it better than they have before and also enjoying shooting more than before.

Here's the process:

If you're a 'streets/candids' type shooter, all the time or just now and again, then drop in a tip or a load of tips here. I don't want pointless discussion about 'what is PJ, what is street, what is urban, what is candid, etc' - do that somewhere else. Lets just focus on delivering tips and let the punters, including all of us here, learn from them.

Remember the aspiration ;) KISS!! If you don't agree then start your own thread :p

Who's first - and examples are optional?

Get in close with a wide lens. It forces your viewers to get up close too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FrostMonolith
409 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 13, 2022 21:31 |  #367

Busy workers are the best candid subjects because they are too engrossed at work they won't bother too much of being looked at.

Maybe the world can still look beautiful tomorrow...
T3i/600D | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM | Full Weaponry | Old Blog (external link) | Gallery (Facebook) (external link)

sponsored links

193,503 views & 13 likes for this thread
Shooting 'the streets/candids' - all the tips!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.