Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2021 (Wednesday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do some people shy away from high megapixel cameras/sensors

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,643 posts
Gallery: 361 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 01, 2021 02:01 |  #196

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19216755 (external link)
You don’t have to live near someone. Most of the remote meetings tools today allow a person to remotely work on your Mac for you while you watch and talk with the person.

Zoom is just one of these.

Yes! I had this done when I bought a new Mac Mini M1. It was awesome but it was a low end Mac and I decided I wanted to wait for a higher end version with more RAM. So after playing with it for a few days I wanted to do a clean installation of the OS and landed in a world of trouble. Now I’ve been on Macs since forever, late 80’s, and I can do a clean install in my dreams. But this one wouldn’t work, no matter all the tricks I pulled (turned out to be a bug which they fixed in a quick update). So I called them up and they were stumped too. The first guy couldn’t solve it, but the second said: I’ve been in computers for 20 years. This is a software bug and no software bug is going to beat me. He had to jump through a lot of hoops but he did solve the problem.

Anyway, as the Mac Mini was stuck at first and inaccessible, he first looked at the screen via my iPhone, that I had to hold up to the screen. Later, as we had control back over the Mac, we switched to direct remote control. He didn’t do anything himself, although he could have. Instead he pointed to where I needed to go. It was a weird sensation to suddenly not be alone on my computer! And all the while we were on the phone, talking. It worked miraculously well.

My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,802 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 01, 2021 05:30 |  #197

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19216762 (external link)
For the last year, our 29 employees and contractors have worked from home, and collaborated daily, sharing screenshots, files, and remote accessing when needed, while maintaining two week scrum sprints, and delivering software to production at the same time. No issues and more efficient than being in the office, IMO.

LOL. My wife is a scrum master for a major corporation, and for the last year she's been sitting at her desk beside mine in our home office talking about "two-week scrum sprints" and "delivering software to production."

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

SebCo
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2021

Apr 01, 2021 05:38 |  #198

Think one of the major issues with High Resolution Sensors is the extra motion blur you get, this often requires higher ISO to account for it. Reducing the quality.

Sharp is Sharp so most people won't need to print over the top sizes, I regularly print upto 36' x 24' with minimal sharpening from a 20.2mp sensor.. A Good lens is your friend if you want to print large

Devon based Landscape Photographer
Web: https://scoellphotogra​phy.co.uk (external link)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCJ0C6m_Dr7-er9z4132zb_A (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,251 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2021 05:54 |  #199

SebCo wrote in post #19216894 (external link)
Think one of the major issues with High Resolution Sensors is the extra motion blur you get, this often requires higher ISO to account for it. Reducing the quality.

Sharp is Sharp so most people won't need to print over the top sizes, I regularly print upto 36' x 24' with minimal sharpening from a 20.2mp sensor.. A Good lens is your friend if you want to print large

There is no more blur from the results of a 45Mpx sensor than there is from a 20Mpx sensor. The only effect you see is from your own desire to drill deeper into the digital content of the one file vs the other.

If you zoom deeper, the blur becomes more pronounced as would be expected, but this isn’t a disadvantage of a high resolution sensor.

Said another way, a wingtip moving across the frame has the same blur on two FF sensors with the same settings, regardless of resolution. You are the reason the higher resolution sensor looks to have more blur because you are zooming further into the image with the higher resolution.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

chuckmiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 01, 2021 09:06 |  #200

RayinAlaska wrote in post #19216806 (external link)
This is what I do with my photos in the iMac...

You have your camera images and your final images well protected. Are you backing-up/protecting your image editing strokes?

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

RayinAlaska
582 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by RayinAlaska. (2 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2021 22:46 |  #201

chuckmiller wrote in post #19216956 (external link)
You have your camera images and your final images well protected. Are you backing-up/protecting your image editing strokes?

Not the image image-editing strokes. The backups are just for everything on the computer (apps, files, and so on), just in case that the hard drive fails. On the Mac you can use Time Machine, but I also use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Should the hard drive crash and I have to replace it, I can restore the new one from the one of the backups. Also, with CCC I can create a "clone" of the internal hard drive, so when I restore the new hard drive and then start the computer, the desktop and everything else is exactly as it was before the crash.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,169 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 01, 2021 22:48 |  #202

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19216906 (external link)
There is no more blur from the results of a 45Mpx sensor than there is from a 20Mpx sensor. The only effect you see is from your own desire to drill deeper into the digital content of the one file vs the other.

If you zoom deeper, the blur becomes more pronounced as would be expected, but this isn’t a disadvantage of a high resolution sensor.

Said another way, a wingtip moving across the frame has the same blur on two FF sensors with the same settings, regardless of resolution. You are the reason the higher resolution sensor looks to have more blur because you are zooming further into the image with the higher resolution.

Exactly right.

Another way to explain this would be, "you are getting exactly the same motion blur, but your sensor is dividing that blur up into more pixels."

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,802 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 2 months ago by RDKirk.

Apr 01, 2021 22:57 |  #203

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19216906 (external link)

Totally true. The distance the object travelled across the frame within the space of the shutter speed is exactly the same absolute distance in either instance.

If you keep your "viewing geometry" the same, you won't see any difference.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links

6,307 views & 108 likes for this thread
Why do some people shy away from high megapixel cameras/sensors
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.