Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

jcothron
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 31, 2021 15:39 |  #3436

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19216615 (external link)
Worst drop I ever had was a friend of my daughters came into our house and proceeded to knock the literally just opened and removed from it's box EF 400mm f/5.6L from kitchen table to floor. It ended up just fine but wow! It had never been touched other than to remove it from the box.

Ewwwwww that hurt just hearing about it.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
jcothron
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 31, 2021 15:39 |  #3437

SYS wrote in post #19216618 (external link)
Just reading about it dropped my heart to the floor... I've never dropped a camera or a lens in 40 some years now into photography. When it did happen, of course it had to be R5, the most expensive camera that I've ever indulged on myself....

Exactly!!

John

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,845 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 31, 2021 16:34 |  #3438

I just read that Canon has pulled the recent R5/R6 firmware update.

You guys might want to check that out.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,325 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2021 16:40 |  #3439

RDKirk wrote in post #19216684 (external link)

Just R6, R5 firmware is still up on the sites I've checked.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,524 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 31, 2021 16:45 |  #3440

Worst drop I ever had was a friend of my daughters came into our house and proceeded to knock the literally just opened and removed from it's box EF 400mm f/5.6L from kitchen table to floor. It ended up just fine but wow! It had never been touched other than to remove it from the box.

Got my R5, tried it out around home for a couple hundred shots and decided to go out looking for something more interesting to shoot.

Stopped at a local waterfall, it was running really good from snow melt off, decided to shoot that.

Had an old arca plate lying around that I threw in my bag in case I wanted to put the R5 on the tripod (L bracket hasn't arrived yet.)

Get out the truck, put the R5 on the tripod and make sure I tighten well. Walk down an snowy / icy path, cross a covered bridge, got down to the creek and set up the tripod. Put the Lee filter holder on and a couple filters. Turn the camera on, tap the rear screen to focus and the camera falls off the tripod!

Fortunately there was still snow over the rocks, luckily no damage, and it landed just a foot from the creek.

Turns out the plate has those small nub screws on the bottom so it can't slide out of the clamp - but - the clamp on my tripod was wider than the spacing of those nubs so it was never clamped in right to begin with. I'd never used that plate before - it was smaller than the one than came with the ball head so I just grabbed that one. Well, never again!

Website (external link) flickr (external link) FaceBook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,325 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 31, 2021 16:49 |  #3441

GAH! That must have had you passing bricks!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
4,301 posts
Gallery: 243 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 31, 2021 16:57 |  #3442

Wow that totally sucks.

A few years ago I was in Costa Rica with my usual guide and companions. We were at a lodge that had a huge outdoor patio. At breakfast the area next to the patio was full of all kinds of birds at small trees and feeders, including a flock of scarlet macaws. We took pictures, ate breakfast. Then we finished eating, packed our gear and headed to our rooms to get on the road. I had failed to zip up my camera bag and picked it up to leave and my 100-400ii sailed out the side and hit a stone tile floor. Hard. It was screwed. The AF didn't work and it was completely malfunctioning. Fortunately I had my 300 2.8 with me which I used for the rest of the trip.....the CPS repair was $1000. My insurance paid. I had just gotten the insurance, too. I'm sure they were thrilled.

All was well for a couple of years although the lens is looking fairly worn by now, but it works fine. Then several months ago the lens mount came loose on one side and
I had to send it yet again to CPS. That was $500. Now I'm sorry I fixed it since I just ordered the 100-500 from Canon USA. They were in stock yesterday BTW when all the big retailers were showing it as backordered!!!!

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

jcothron
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 31, 2021 18:24 |  #3443

edmidlifecrisis wrote in post #19216702 (external link)
Wow that totally sucks.

A few years ago I was in Costa Rica with my usual guide and companions. We were at a lodge that had a huge outdoor patio. At breakfast the area next to the patio was full of all kinds of birds at small trees and feeders, including a flock of scarlet macaws. We took pictures, ate breakfast. Then we finished eating, packed our gear and headed to our rooms to get on the road. I had failed to zip up my camera bag and picked it up to leave and my 100-400ii sailed out the side and hit a stone tile floor. Hard. It was screwed. The AF didn't work and it was completely malfunctioning. Fortunately I had my 300 2.8 with me which I used for the rest of the trip.....the CPS repair was $1000. My insurance paid. I had just gotten the insurance, too. I'm sure they were thrilled.

All was well for a couple of years although the lens is looking fairly worn by now, but it works fine. Then several months ago the lens mount came loose on one side and
I had to send it yet again to CPS. That was $500. Now I'm sorry I fixed it since I just ordered the 100-500 from Canon USA. They were in stock yesterday BTW when all the big retailers were showing it as backordered!!!!

I have insurance and haven’t needed to use it BUT that would have had me in tears regardless. Grown man crying over a tube of glass.

John

Jared5
489 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Mar 31, 2021 20:41 |  #3444

venghous1 wrote in post #19216383 (external link)
I did the one for the R5 and the RF 70-200.... but didn’t see one for the grip? Is there one?

There is not an update for the R5/R6 grip but there was one for the EOS R grip and I installed that on those grips.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …e22?tab=drivers​_downloads (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS R5 | EOS R | 5D Mk4
RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | RF 28-70mm f/2L | RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS
RF 85mm f/2 macro IS | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 35mm f/1.8 macro IS
https://www.youtube.co​m/JaredRibic/videos (external link)

Jared5
489 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post edited 5 months ago by Jared5. (3 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2021 20:47 |  #3445

RDKirk wrote in post #19216684 (external link)

FIRMWARE UPDATE ISSUE???

You're right about the EOS R6 firmware, it's not there: https://www.usa.canon.​com …subtab=download​s-firmware (external link)

The EOS R5 firmware update is still live though: https://www.usa.canon.​com …subtab=download​s-firmware (external link)

I'm about to do some testing tonight. I updated the firmware in both EOS R5 bodies and today I had a job and was shooting in face detect mode and couldn't figure out why it would only detect once face at a time and wouldn't give me the option to jump to another face.

Not cool!

I got the job done but wondered if it was my own mistake(s) or if it's related to the firmware update.

EOS R5 | EOS R | 5D Mk4
RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | RF 28-70mm f/2L | RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS
RF 85mm f/2 macro IS | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 35mm f/1.8 macro IS
https://www.youtube.co​m/JaredRibic/videos (external link)

venghous1
142 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2016

Apr 01, 2021 07:35 |  #3446

Finally got out to try the animal AF.... worked like a charm....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,325 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 01, 2021 08:46 |  #3447

Jared5 wrote in post #19216767 (external link)
FIRMWARE UPDATE ISSUE???

... I updated the firmware in both EOS R5 bodies and today I had a job and was shooting in face detect mode and couldn't figure out why it would only detect once face at a time and wouldn't give me the option to jump to another face.

Not cool!

I got the job done but wondered if it was my own mistake(s) or if it's related to the firmware update.

Zoiks, that doesn't sound right!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

squashed
Goldmember
4,278 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 01, 2021 09:54 |  #3448

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19211361 (external link)
I set up the DOF preview button to allow me to change crop modes fairly quickly,. and use it when I know I'm just shooting really long.
17.25mp images, double what my 1D mKII offered, so it's a damn nice option!

I personally do not see that it has any advantage of the AF, eye detect or otherwise, as the EVF displaying the resulting crop to me in no way alters the R5's actual AF system.
What it does do is provide a closer more detailed EVF view allowing ME to do my job better.

Great use for that button, thank you.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,041 posts
Gallery: 537 photos
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 5 months ago by SYS. (2 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2021 10:26 |  #3449

Jared5 wrote in post #19216767 (external link)
FIRMWARE UPDATE ISSUE???

You're right about the EOS R6 firmware, it's not there: https://www.usa.canon.​com …subtab=download​s-firmware (external link)

The EOS R5 firmware update is still live though: https://www.usa.canon.​com …subtab=download​s-firmware (external link)

I'm about to do some testing tonight. I updated the firmware in both EOS R5 bodies and today I had a job and was shooting in face detect mode and couldn't figure out why it would only detect once face at a time and wouldn't give me the option to jump to another face.

Not cool!

I believe we have a problem with the firmware update with the R5. I updated yesterday and haven't had a chance to use the R5. Upon reading this issue, I did some tests with mine this morning, and here's what I discovered:

The white pre-focus square no longer shows up in my C1 which is programmed for portraits with Human Eye AF. The Eye AF works but because the pre-focus white square box with arrows on each side doesn't show up, you can't change from one eye to the other or from one person to another using the joystick. This is a bummer.

My C2 mode, which is programmed for BIF with the Animal Eye AF, is the same way, i.e., no white pre-focus. It disappeared although the settings for it to appear hasn't been changed.

In both cases, a white focus box (not to be confused with the pre-focus square with arrows on either side) shows up in the center, which you can move with the joystick, but it's not the same with the pre-focus square with arrows which jump from one eye to the other.

One interesting thing I noticed, however, is that you can aim this center white box in the VF to a desired eye and when you press the button programmed for Eye AF (AF-ON, in my case), it will focus on that particular eye rather than any random eye. You can then recompose, as once it's locked it won't move to any other eye. This is actually faster than changing from eye to eye using the joystick.

Interestingly, with my "M" default shooting mode, the white pre-focus square does show up as before. Because of this discrepancy in these behavioral changes, I don't believe the sudden disappearance of the white pre-focus square with arrows on each side was an intended change. Canon screwed up with the latest firmware.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

i-G12
Wat?
2,290 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 01, 2021 10:31 |  #3450

SYS wrote in post #19217000 (external link)
I believe we have a problem with the firmware update with the R5. I updated yesterday and haven't had a chance to use the R5. Upon reading this issue, I did some tests with mine this morning, and here's what I discovered:

The white pre-focus square no longer shows up in my C1 which is programmed for portraits with Human Eye AF. The Eye AF works but because the pre-focus white square box with arrows on each side doesn't show up, you can't change from one eye to the other or from one person to another using the joystick. This is a bummer.

My C2 mode, which is programmed for BIF with the Animal Eye AF, is the same way, i.e., no white pre-focus. It disappeared although the settings for it to appear hasn't been changed.

In both cases, a white focus box (not to be confused with the pre-focus square with arrows on either side) shows up in the center, which you can move with the joystick, but it's not the same with the pre-focus square with arrows which jump from one eye to the other.

One interesting thing I noticed, however, is that you can aim this center white box in the VF to a desired eye and when you press the button programmed for Eye AF (AF-ON, in my case), it will focus on that particular eye rather than any random eye. You can then recompose, as once it's locked it won't move to any other eye. This is actually faster than changing from eye to eye using the joystick.

Interestingly, with my "M" default shooting mode, the white pre-focus square does show up as before. Because of this discrepancy in these behavioral changes, I don't believe the sudden disappearance of the white pre-focus square with arrows on each side was an intended change. Canon screwed up with the latest firmware.

You might want to communicate this to Canon and see what they say!!!

sponsored links

413,248 views & 3,231 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.