Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Milkyway nightscapes

gaabnz
974 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 14 days ago by gaabnz.

Jun 10, 2021 05:44 |  #4816

DougZ wrote in post #19246193 (external link)
Thanks!
I'm in the Southern Hemisphere so cannot even see the North Star\Big Dipper - we have no actual star to point the camera at but have to draw imaginary lines in the night sky (in your minds eye) that bisect the Southern Cross & the Pointers. No big deal once you understand how to do it but it renders the polar alignment mechanism (usually an illuminated tube) on Star Trackers useless.
Cheers

Get the photopills app, its what I use :) Shows you the south

*Edit* Its the night AR part of the app to use

Sony A7mkiii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / Zeiss FE35 f2.8 / EF24-105F4L / EF70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

sponsored links
Shortaction
500 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 10, 2021 17:13 |  #4817

I live on an Island and there is a swing bridge that connects us to the mainland. It is reaching the end of it's life and will be replaced in the next couple years. I had the picture in my mind for the past few years and finally made it a reality last night. Was a really difficult shoot for me as the lights on the bridge where far brighter than I imagined and that combined with the light pollution from the town was a challenge.

The mainland is on the left, the town of Little Current, ON (first settlement on the Manitoulin Island) is on the right.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to handle these circumstances feel free to comment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,678 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2021 18:19 as a reply to  @ Shortaction's post |  #4818

Good grief, that's a fantastic shot.
I love how you've captured the Milky Way night sky along with the terra-bound
objects of our ground-based existence.

I wouldn't suggest a single change, but I'm not one of the many astro-experts
we have here.

If I had captured that image, I'd hang it on my walls somewhere.
I'd probably want to display it as a 2-by-4 foot print.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Shortaction
500 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 10, 2021 20:22 |  #4819

SkedAddled wrote in post #19246565 (external link)
Good grief, that's a fantastic shot.
I love how you've captured the Milky Way night sky along with the terra-bound
objects of our ground-based existence.

I wouldn't suggest a single change, but I'm not one of the many astro-experts
we have here.

If I had captured that image, I'd hang it on my walls somewhere.
I'd probably want to display it as a 2-by-4 foot print.

I'm humbled, thanks so much!

DougZ
161 posts
Joined Aug 2020

Jun 10, 2021 21:18 |  #4820

Shortaction wrote in post #19246536 (external link)
I live on an Island and there is a swing bridge that connects us to the mainland. It is reaching the end of it's life and will be replaced in the next couple years. I had the picture in my mind for the past few years and finally made it a reality last night. Was a really difficult shoot for me as the lights on the bridge where far brighter than I imagined and that combined with the light pollution from the town was a challenge.

The mainland is on the left, the town of Little Current, ON (first settlement on the Manitoulin Island) is on the right.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to handle these circumstances feel free to comment.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Shortaction in
./showthread.php?p=192​46536&i=i258335709
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

I also think it's a great shot.
But as for your concerns .... I certainly don't think the lights are too blown out to be bought back down.
The other thing you could do is take two shots - one that exposes the lights to your preference & another that exposes the Milky Way to your preference. Add them as layers in photoshop & blend them together.
I have taken the liberty of adjusting the photo as per my first suggestion & am happy to post it with your permission.
But yup, nice shot!

Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
11,156 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 11, 2021 00:21 |  #4821

Shortaction wrote in post #19246536 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​46536&i=i258335709

I am also no astro expert, but I agree that your capture is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT!!!!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Shortaction
500 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 11, 2021 05:17 |  #4822

Inspeqtor wrote in post #19246637 (external link)
I am also no astro expert, but I agree that your capture is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT!!!!

I appreciate that, thank you!

Shortaction
500 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 11, 2021 05:37 |  #4823

DougZ wrote in post #19246604 (external link)
I also think it's a great shot.
But as for your concerns .... I certainly don't think the lights are too blown out to be bought back down.
The other thing you could do is take two shots - one that exposes the lights to your preference & another that exposes the Milky Way to your preference. Add them as layers in photoshop & blend them together.
I have taken the liberty of adjusting the photo as per my first suggestion & am happy to post it with your permission.
But yup, nice shot!

Sure I would enjoy seeing your rendition of the shot I posted or of either of these as well.

This is the original photo I started with. To get this I had to hold my cell phone across in front of the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the lens and work it up and down so as to not leave a strong transition point.

HOSTED PHOTO

This is what an original photo looked like without using my phone in front of the lens. You will notice the composition has changed between these as the Milky Way kept climbing in the sky as I was trying different amounts of feathering with the phone across the lens so had to adjust for that.

HOSTED PHOTO

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,285 posts
Gallery: 663 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 11, 2021 07:51 |  #4824

Shortaction wrote in post #19246692 (external link)
Sure I would enjoy seeing your rendition of the shot I posted or of either of these as well.

This is the original photo I started with. To get this I had to hold my cell phone across in front of the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the lens and work it up and down so as to not leave a strong transition point.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​46692&i=i133949452

This is what an original photo looked like without using my phone in front of the lens. You will notice the composition has changed between these as the Milky Way kept climbing in the sky as I was trying different amounts of feathering with the phone across the lens so had to adjust for that.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​46692&i=i237407583

It’s a nice final image and your edit on the milky way is great. If you use photoshop you could save yourself a headache and just shoot an exposure(s) for the sky and an exposure(s) for the foreground and blend in post. Would save experimentation in the field with your phone feathering the bottom

α7R III | α9 II | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
16-35GM | 24GM | 35GM | 85GM | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Zeiss CY 35-70

Shortaction
500 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 11, 2021 11:57 |  #4825

Eddie wrote in post #19246732 (external link)
It’s a nice final image and your edit on the milky way is great. If you use photoshop you could save yourself a headache and just shoot an exposure(s) for the sky and an exposure(s) for the foreground and blend in post. Would save experimentation in the field with your phone feathering the bottom

Thank you for the reply. I use PS sparingly, but something I should do some research on!

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,285 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 13 days ago by Eddie.

Jun 11, 2021 12:06 |  #4826

Shortaction wrote in post #19246825 (external link)
Thank you for the reply. I use PS sparingly, but something I should do some research on!

Might speed up your time when taking the images and allow you to possibly catch more images/compositions.

Very easy to do, just layer the images then add a layer mask on the sky image and brush in the foreground image (or vice versa). Easy to undo it or dial it back if you do it that way. Use the “align layers” option before doing that to make sure everything is in the right place.

Many ways of doing the same thing in PS so that’s just one of them. Another alternative is to do a single shot exposing for the sky, then in lightroom adding a horizontal grad and reducing exposure on the foreground section of the image.

Hope you don’t mind me offering this up, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just some friendly thoughts ;-)a

As I said in my first post, your image is great and you processed the Milky Way well

Shortaction
500 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jun 11, 2021 16:36 |  #4827

Eddie wrote in post #19246827 (external link)
Might speed up your time when taking the images and allow you to possibly catch more images/compositions.

Very easy to do, just layer the images then add a layer mask on the sky image and brush in the foreground image (or vice versa). Easy to undo it or dial it back if you do it that way. Use the “align layers” option before doing that to make sure everything is in the right place.

Many ways of doing the same thing in PS so that’s just one of them. Another alternative is to do a single shot exposing for the sky, then in lightroom adding a horizontal grad and reducing exposure on the foreground section of the image.

Hope you don’t mind me offering this up, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just some friendly thoughts ;-)a

As I said in my first post, your image is great and you processed the Milky Way well

Don't mind at all! Happy to hear any suggestions!! Thanks again!!

markesc
Goldmember
3,134 posts
Gallery: 1359 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 12, 2021 14:39 |  #4828

Let me be clear: I'm NOT happy with these mainly due to the S___ Show of the 18-55 EFS. Why in the world Canon thought it would be a great design idea to have the lens refocus if you accidently change the focal length while night hiking is a horrible design decision...

Anyways, thought I'd share these even though they are maybe about 5% of what I expect of myself from a results standpoint, and to remind everyone we should ALWAYS be in the mode of improving, so complacency is not an option!!!

Here's what I learned coming from a 5mkIV + 16-35 F4 then going to a 90d and 18-55 EFS (wanted to chase wildlife for a bit) - You will miss the focus scale to get you in the strike zone easily, and you'll miss the focus staying constant regardless of focal length. Albeit I'm talking apples vs. oranges here as one lens is $200 and the other, with all of the fiscal "stimulus" packages leading to dire levels of inflation now around $1200.

Now that I live close to this area, you'll all will see some improvement... these are in the "fun" photos / night hiking navigation category....

Any suggestions on a crop sensor PRIME lens that can get me in the zone for < $400 ? (must work on a crop canon for the short term) I want something that I can click on my headlamp, choose infinity, and then go back to laying in the dirt and enjoying the stars as the camera does it's thing...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,285 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 11 days ago by Eddie.

Jun 12, 2021 16:07 |  #4829

markesc wrote in post #19247244 (external link)
Let me be clear: I'm NOT happy with these mainly due to the S___ Show of the 18-55 EFS. Why in the world Canon thought it would be a great design idea to have the lens refocus if you accidently change the focal length while night hiking is a horrible design decision...

Anyways, thought I'd share these even though they are maybe about 5% of what I expect of myself from a results standpoint, and to remind everyone we should ALWAYS be in the mode of improving, so complacency is not an option!!!

Here's what I learned coming from a 5mkIV + 16-35 F4 then going to a 90d and 18-55 EFS (wanted to chase wildlife for a bit) - You will miss the focus scale to get you in the strike zone easily, and you'll miss the focus staying constant regardless of focal length. Albeit I'm talking apples vs. oranges here as one lens is $200 and the other, with all of the fiscal "stimulus" packages leading to dire levels of inflation now around $1200.

Now that I live close to this area, you'll all will see some improvement... these are in the "fun" photos / night hiking navigation category....

Any suggestions on a crop sensor PRIME lens that can get me in the zone for < $400 ? (must work on a crop canon for the short term) I want something that I can click on my headlamp, choose infinity, and then go back to laying in the dirt and enjoying the stars as the camera does it's thing...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=192​47244&i=i82886578

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=192​47244&i=i76988573

All said and done, still nice images!

With regards to a good crop lens, I’m a bit detached from canon now as been with Sony for the last while but what about some of the rokinon /Samyang lenses? They are always good with respect to coma control for Astro. Could you even get a wide full frame lens and use it on your crop and take the 1.5x penalty?

SailingAway
453 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 12, 2021 20:08 |  #4830

Lots of people like the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f2.8 all-manual lens for night/astro landscapes.

Most (all?) of the recent Canon EFS lenses *are* fly-by-wire focus. There are a few exceptions, like the Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8.

I have some super wide zooms; a Canon 10-18mm (slowish, fly-by-wire), and a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 1st gen that is a gem. When you click the lens into Manual focus it is all mechanical! You could use a little blue tape to lock focus on an MF lens.

Fly-by-wire means that only the focus motor can change focus. If you twist a ring in Manual AF mode you’re controlling the focus motor, not the mechanics of the lens.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

sponsored links

1,864,736 views & 8,083 likes for this thread
Milkyway nightscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.