Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 14 Jun 2021 (Monday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pubs

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,837 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 15, 2021 17:36 |  #16

Back in 2003/4 I did a website about our village (pop 5120) not being into photography at the time the images where really just snaps taken with a little compact. Of the 10 pubs at the time 4 have since closed.

Now a Nursery

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Converted to Flats

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

sponsored links
whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,837 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 15, 2021 17:38 |  #17

Converted to an office

HOSTED PHOTO

Now a Tesco Local

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,488 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 15, 2021 17:46 |  #18

The sight of all the ordinary modern cars parked next to those impressive old buildings in historical styles seems so incongruous.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
10,912 posts
Gallery: 929 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 15, 2021 19:49 |  #19

Enjoying this thread.
Really interesting tour we're being taken on.
Brilliant thanks to all.

Richard

Jonzjob
in the land of Donald Duck
2,607 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Jun 16, 2021 02:52 |  #20

OhLook wrote in post #19248365 (external link)
The sight of all the ordinary modern cars parked next to those impressive old buildings in historical styles seems so incongruous.

There are so many 'old' building here in England that I don't think that we really notice it OH ;-)a

The Cotswold stone cottage we used to live in just outside Stroud was built around 1735. The 2 cottages that you see today were built as 4 farm workers homes and just normal now.

I have a very interesting book 'The English Pub. A History' by Peter Haydon Richard and it gives a fascinating history of them.

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

Ray.Petri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Gallery: 1799 photos
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Ray.Petri.

Jun 16, 2021 02:54 |  #21

Trafalgar Tavern. On the South bank of the River Thames at Greenwich UK. Viewed from the river.
Maybe Lord Nelson used to take his crew there for a few pints when they they on shore leave. (If you believe that you'll believe anything):lol:
Top Picture. 2003.
Bottom Picture 2016. The Royal Greenwich Observatory can be seen on the horizon on the left of the picture and all telescopes would have been trained on the Time Ball.
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Trafalgar_Tave​rn (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Ray-P

Jonzjob
2,607 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 16, 2021 03:03 |  #22

I haven't been to that part Ray, but I do know what the 'Time Ball' is there for and I do believe that you will have to explain (much more peaceful than a gun) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm also willing to bet the Nelson didn't take his crew in there. If he had then most of them would have vanished me-thinks. Pressed crews weren't allowed ashore at home ports were they :eek: and the majority of them would probably have have been pressed? :rolleyes:

Nice looking pub,

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
John.

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Gallery: 780 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 16, 2021 03:30 |  #23

Inside The Swan / Dawlish in 2010

The resident dog couldn't be bothered as people had to step over and around him :-)

Used to be a nice pub, almost only locals. When I went back a few years later it was all blaring TV and conversation impossible vmad

Not sure if it is still inbusiness.

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Ray.Petri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Ray.Petri. (2 edits in all)

Jun 16, 2021 03:54 |  #24

Jonzjob wrote in post #19248472 (external link)
I haven't been to that part Ray, but I do know what the 'Time Ball' is there for and I do believe that you will have to explain (much more peaceful than a gun) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm also willing to bet the Nelson didn't take his crew in there. If he had then most of them would have vanished me-thinks. Pressed crews weren't allowed ashore at home ports were they :eek: and the majority of them would probably have have been pressed? :rolleyes:

Nice looking pub,

Hi John. There are a few restored Time Balls around the country and I have posted a few. Edinburgh is interesting because they fire a gun from the castle as well as drop the Time Ball on Calton Hill.
Simple explanation of the Time Ball. A time Ball was the early version of a standardised time signal - 1700 - 1800s style. It depended on line-of-sight and therefore it had to be on a tower in a prominent position. The accuracy would be rather doubtful by today's standards but it was the absolute 'Bee's Knees' of timekeeping in its day. Didn't work too well at night on on a foggy day though. In the 1800s the Time Balls became synchronised electrically by land line to Greenwich. Now superseded by the atomic clock and the GPS system.
I was only joking about Nelson's crew in the Trafalgar Tavern - hope nobody thinks I was trying to re-write history.:-)

Ray-P

Jonzjob
2,607 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 16, 2021 05:00 |  #25

No way Ray or next you would be trying to chuck Colston statues in to Bristol Docks :rolleyes: Poor Edward!

John.

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2253 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 16, 2021 14:45 |  #26

Ray.Petri wrote in post #19248481 (external link)
Hi John. There are a few restored Time Balls around the country and I have posted a few. Edinburgh is interesting because they fire a gun from the castle as well as drop the Time Ball on Calton Hill.
Simple explanation of the Time Ball. A time Ball was the early version of a standardised time signal - 1700 - 1800s style. It depended on line-of-sight and therefore it had to be on a tower in a prominent position. The accuracy would be rather doubtful by today's standards but it was the absolute 'Bee's Knees' of timekeeping in its day. Didn't work too well at night on on a foggy day though. In the 1800s the Time Balls became synchronised electrically by land line to Greenwich. Now superseded by the atomic clock and the GPS system.
I was only joking about Nelson's crew in the Trafalgar Tavern - hope nobody thinks I was trying to re-write history.:-)

Especially since Nelson passed on at the battle of Trafalgar. Crews may have hoisted a pint in his honor at a bar named after the battle.

Ray.Petri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 16, 2021 16:50 |  #27

Jonzjob wrote in post #19248491 (external link)
No way Ray or next you would be trying to chuck Colston statues in to Bristol Docks :rolleyes: Poor Edward!

John, just between you and me, I’d rather be deported to Oz or Taz before I would destroy our history :-)

Capn Jack wrote in post #19248650 (external link)
Especially since Nelson passed on at the battle of Trafalgar. Crews may have hoisted a pint in his honor at a bar named after the battle.

I think he came back preserved/pickled in a barrel of brandy.:-)

Ray-P

Jonzjob
2,607 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 17, 2021 02:25 |  #28

"John, just between you and me, I’d rather be deported to Oz or Taz before I would destroy our history "

Good grief Ray, there's no need to get THAT drastic mate! :eek:

Besides, they have cut down on doing such horrible things as deporting people down there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

After all, they are missing 2 X's off their beer and don't have 6X :mrgreen: That's about my favourite beer by the way 8-)

HOSTED PHOTO

John.

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
10,912 posts
Gallery: 929 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 17, 2021 05:40 |  #29

Ray.Petri wrote in post #19248680 (external link)
John, just between you and me, I’d rather be deported to Oz or Taz before I would destroy our history :-)

Jonzjob wrote in post #19248796 (external link)
"John, just between you and me, I’d rather be deported to Oz or Taz before I would destroy our history "

Righto you two, we stopped that nonsense ages ago. Just don't accept any more these days, even send them back :rolleyes:
Anyway, when they did deport they didn't appreciate the landscape,or the grub (tucker) yet alone the living quarters. We won't get started on the clothing :-)
Beer! It's only use I've known is in cooking. Some swear by beer pancakes, cakes etc
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour · ¼ cup white sugar · ¾ teaspoon baking powder · ½ teaspoon salt · 1 egg, beaten · 1 cup beer · 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Pubs, now that's another matter. Those thatched rooves and old pubs look so enticing.
You've got some beauties.

Richard

Jonzjob
2,607 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 17, 2021 16:56 |  #30

If you ain't careful Richard I'll post a photo of me in one of my Aussie bits.

Sweathog hoodie, Akubra titfa, Adelaide 1985 F1 GP sweatshirt or the like mate.

But I will agree that your beer is probably better in cooking :twisted::twisted::rolleyes:

John.

sponsored links

17,893 views & 933 likes for this thread
Pubs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.