Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wild Birds of Australia

Pippan
Goldmember
4,592 posts
Gallery: 613 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2021 17:24 |  #1696

Capn Jack wrote in post #19263373 (external link)
First bin chickens, now bin cockatoos
https://www.sciencemag​.org …ey-re-learning-each-other (external link)

Interesting. I haven't seen that behaviour in sulphur-crested cockies up here in Darwin, but they are not so common here. I've been watching the related little corellas though (which are very common), teaching each other different ways to breach my defences and get into our chicken house to eat their seed. I'm not sure why it surprises people though; these cockatoos are smart birds, at least as smart as crows.

Re bin chickens, the story of how they became established in Sydney (external link) (and more recently in other Australian cities, including Darwin) is fascinating. I grew up in Sydney in the '60s and we never saw ibises then.

Everything comes to those who wait.

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
4,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2021 17:49 |  #1697

avondale87 wrote in post #19263732 (external link)
Are these the only birds with wing spurs?

No, they also occur on some other plover species, some jacanas (but not our comb-crested jacana) and screamers (South American birds related to magpie geese). A 1954 paper about wing-spurs here (external link).

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
12,215 posts
Gallery: 1040 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 24, 2021 18:01 |  #1698

Pippan wrote in post #19263742 (external link)
No, they also occur on some other plover species, some jacanas (but not our comb-crested jacana) and screamers (South American birds related to magpie geese). A 1954 paper about wing-spurs here (external link).

Thanks for that.
Interesting reading.

Learnt more than just spurs. Swan, I gather use their wings in fights.
Probably explains a very dishevelled one here a while back that had one wing rather tatty and hanging oddly.
Must have recovered as I saw the pair ages after with no apparent problems

Richard

Lyn2011
769 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 25, 2021 04:28 |  #1699

Re bin chickens, the story of how they became established in Sydney (external link) (and more recently in other Australian cities, including Darwin) is fascinating. I grew up in Sydney in the '60s and we never saw ibises then.

We see the ibis here, specially after all the rain in January etc. First they flew away when they saw us, but it didn't take long before they stayed and got used to us. We don't feed them, but they find enough food in the grasses and water.

The Sulpher crested Cockatoo is here around too, and this winter for the first time they came to eat the flowers of the marigold plants. One day, one of them was angry that we chased him away and he destroyed another plant, the Jade plant. Now we keep an eye out as much as possible. We plan to buy a bird scarer and set it up in the garden, maybe that works.
We never had that problem in the past with Galah and Corella.

Pippan
Goldmember
4,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Pippan.

Jul 25, 2021 06:57 |  #1700

Lyn2011 wrote in post #19263891 (external link)
We see the ibis here, specially after all the rain in January etc. First they flew away when they saw us, but it didn't take long before they stayed and got used to us. We don't feed them, but they find enough food in the grasses and water.

The Sulpher crested Cockatoo is here around too, and this winter for the first time they came to eat the flowers of the marigold plants. One day, one of them was angry that we chased him away and he destroyed another plant, the Jade plant. Now we keep an eye out as much as possible. We plan to buy a bird scarer and set it up in the garden, maybe that works.
We never had that problem in the past with Galah and Corella.

My grandfather in Sydney loved to grow poppies. He used to plant them along the inside of the low brick fence along the street frontage of his yard. The sulphur-crested cockies would infuriate him as they'd walk along the fence biting off every flower just for fun. :-D

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
12,215 posts
Gallery: 1040 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2021 07:10 |  #1701

Pippan wrote in post #19263935 (external link)
My grandfather in Sydney loved to grow poppies. He used to plant them along the inside of the low brick fence along the street frontage of his yard. The sulphur-crested cockies would infuriate him as they'd walk along the fence biting off every flower just for fun. :-D

Last spring the SC's visited us and did same to our daffodils planted along our drive. 200 metres of them.
Made a right mess, chewed them off and left them on the ground!
I took some photos. Have to chase them up.

Richard

nardes
Goldmember
3,141 posts
Gallery: 785 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2021 17:32 |  #1702

A cute Australasian Grebe taking some time out at the Mt Coot-tha Botanic gardens in Brisbane.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Pippan
Goldmember
4,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 26, 2021 07:14 |  #1703

Capn Jack wrote in post #19263373 (external link)
First bin chickens, now bin cockatoos
https://www.sciencemag​.org …ey-re-learning-each-other (external link)

And speaking of bin chickens ... Straw-necked ibis and Australian white ibis cross paths at the lake at the University of Queensland.

HOSTED PHOTO

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
6,124 posts
Gallery: 2359 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 26, 2021 17:05 |  #1704

Pippan wrote in post #19264356 (external link)
And speaking of bin chickens ... Straw-necked ibis and Australian white ibis cross paths at the lake at the University of Queensland.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pippan in
./showthread.php?p=192​64356&i=i42705258
forum: Birds

Nice shot. Do both species feed from bins?

Pippan
Goldmember
4,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 26, 2021 17:56 |  #1705

Capn Jack wrote in post #19264556 (external link)
Nice shot. Do both species feed from bins?

In Darwin I see both species around the city but I haven't really seen either of them getting into bins here. I took that photo in Brisbane and a passer-by told me the straw-necked is quite rare there.

Lyn2011
769 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Lyn2011.

Jul 28, 2021 04:20 |  #1706

Today I was very lucky to be able to take a picture of the Strangeld Drongo, he was posing nicely against the background. Sorry, not Strangeld but Spangled Drongo.

HOSTED PHOTO

nardes
Goldmember
3,141 posts
Gallery: 785 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2021 05:11 |  #1707

Lyn2011 wrote in post #19265165 (external link)
Today I was very lucky to be able to take a picture of the Strangeld Drongo, he was posing nicely against the background.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Lyn2011 in
./showthread.php?p=192​65165&i=i70784581
forum: Birds

Whoops - who Strangled the Spangled Drongo..:-)

Lyn2011
769 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 28, 2021 05:30 as a reply to  @ nardes's post |  #1708

Oh, you are right, I should have written Spangled, lucky he was not strangeld. :-)

ColinM
153 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2021 05:12 |  #1709

A Sulphur Crested bloke threading through a Frangipanni tree in my front yard and a Corella in a neighbours tree provided an interesting interlude to what was otherwise a boring afternoon here in Darwin

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

ColinM
153 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2021 05:18 as a reply to  @ Lyn2011's post |  #1710

They are the thugs of the bird world. We have them here in Darwin also, and prey on the nests of others, and not only that they are one ugly piece of work.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

sponsored links

573,016 views & 8,222 likes for this thread
Wild Birds of Australia
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.