Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
21,096 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 01, 2021 00:46 |  #10636

I shoot only for myself these days. Ive gone back to why I picked a camera up in first place and was simply to discover my environment. Excuse to visit a place that would normally never go.

I have a paper map of north island that's in need to repair but shows all the spots I've been, many off the beaten track, down dusty dead end roads away from all the popular spots

Gone are the days of likes and popularity ...... guess I'm just getting old and want things simple and real.

So todays trip cause ive never been :)

TA to Awakino ....... foggy most of way couldnt see much. Awakino is a river mouth town much like Marokopa, no real access but it does have a view from Awakino Head Road worth a look (if you need fuel/food/drinks get it at the service station it will be the last one you see till you get to Waitomo Caves area and there is no cell coverage after you leave)

Left Awakino and turned down Manganui rd ...... and headed for the main attraction Waikawau tunnel beach. What a beach, photos dont do it justice but a couple of things to note ...... dont go at high tide as it comes right up to cliffs so you want get far, there are no sand dunes its cliffs and if you love geology it will be heaven for you. There is a waterfall but tide to high to access. From cliffs to sea. It is ruggard country and isolated.

Left Waikawau and headed to Kiritehere beach ..... gravel road all the way. Nice beach but family didnt want to stick around. Over the hill and your at Marokopa. From there to Waitomo which is basically a dead area now. Did have a quick look at cave prices $210 for family of 4 .......... not cheap. Left at 7:30 am got home 3pm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

https://tonysearle.co.​nz (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPete
I am immune
4,254 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 01, 2021 03:07 |  #10637

joeseph wrote in post #19260782 (external link)
very nice! looks like a steamengine bottom left...

It is, there are at least two there, been rotting away for ages, used to see them when I took the train to town.

Peter Lowden.
EOS R6 and assorted glass

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,254 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 01, 2021 03:14 |  #10638

kiwichris wrote in post #19266029 (external link)
Not exactly photography but I have a private message, titled "Grow Up' then the bulk of the message reads "why dont you spend more time taking photos than shooting your mouth off about me
arrogant prick''.

Wait what? On this POTN? Too many people losing their chill it seems, I have noticed this on some Facebook groups to. Just don't mention drones on local Photography Facebook groups, oh and I saw a plant identification group blow up because an elderly lady made an innocent comment that was misunderstood.

Peter Lowden.
EOS R6 and assorted glass

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,983 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 01, 2021 06:28 |  #10639

weka2000 wrote in post #19266804 (external link)
I shoot only for myself these days. Ive gone back to why I picked a camera up in first place and was simply to discover my environment. Excuse to visit a place that would normally never go.

I have a paper map of north island that's in need to repair but shows all the spots I've been, many off the beaten track, down dusty dead end roads away from all the popular spots

Gone are the days of likes and popularity ...... guess I'm just getting old and want things simple and real.

So todays trip cause ive never been :)

TA to Awakino ....... foggy most of way couldnt see much. Awakino is a river mouth town much like Marokopa, no real access but it does have a view from Awakino Head Road worth a look (if you need fuel/food/drinks get it at the service station it will be the last one you see till you get to Waitomo Caves area and there is no cell coverage after you leave)

Left Awakino and turned down Manganui rd ...... and headed for the main attraction Waikawau tunnel beach. What a beach, photos dont do it justice but a couple of things to note ...... dont go at high tide as it comes right up to cliffs so you want get far, there are no sand dunes its cliffs and if you love geology it will be heaven for you. There is a waterfall but tide to high to access. From cliffs to sea. It is ruggard country and isolated.

Left Waikawau and headed to Kiritehere beach ..... gravel road all the way. Nice beach but family didnt want to stick around. Over the hill and your at Marokopa. From there to Waitomo which is basically a dead area now. Did have a quick look at cave prices $210 for family of 4 .......... not cheap. Left at 7:30 am got home 3pm
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by weka2000 in
./showthread.php?p=192​66804&i=i137588084
forum: The Lounge

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​66804&i=i209675438

nice story, I like the pics.

Panasonic Lumix G9 and some lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,145 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 01, 2021 19:21 |  #10640

I missed it.... will give it a whirl when I have time - looks line the free beta expires in Oct so will need to do before then

Thanks!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

kiwichris
3,983 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 01, 2021 21:59 |  #10641

[QUOTE=FlyingPete;1926​6823]It is, there are at least two there, been rotting away for ages, used to see them when I took the train to town.[/QUOTE

I can't swear to it, but I think one has gone.

weka2000
21,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 09, 2021 01:40 |  #10642

up at 5 and headed down to play in snow ...... alas no snow so came home at 3 ...... and they had a massive dumping over night .....buggar got that wrong

Any way from desert road

HOSTED PHOTO

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,145 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 10, 2021 15:19 |  #10643

weka2000 wrote in post #19269646 (external link)
up at 5 and headed down to play in snow ...... alas no snow so came home at 3 ...... and they had a massive dumping over night .....buggar got that wrong

Any way from desert road
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​69646&i=i149975034

judging weather is entirely a crapshoot! at least you got something :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

weka2000
21,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 11, 2021 00:33 |  #10644

joeseph wrote in post #19270191 (external link)
judging weather is entirely a crapshoot! at least you got something :-)

May go back down this weekend, its great only been 2 hrs away :)
Duncan we do have a spare bed ...........

kiwichris
3,983 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by kiwichris.

Aug 11, 2021 03:32 |  #10645

Any one else locked out of Westpac on line? I admit, I'm getting a bit panicky here -?

... and... we're back! I have been trying for about 1/2 an hour. Thanks for pushing the right button for me, and NO, it was not me.

weka2000
21,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 13, 2021 15:33 |  #10646

Spring ....dug out 1Dsmk3 only to find battery died after 13 yrs. Found replacement in Chch @$260 need to realize that nothing lasts forever

HOSTED PHOTO

Potisdad
670 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 13, 2021 23:08 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #10647

Still a great camera!

David

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,211 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2021 23:15 |  #10648

Afternoon all. Testing an older MacBook Pro my daughter has lent me while she is overseas, can't say I like it.....

Anyway, here's an old photo, not sure you've seen it.....

HOSTED PHOTO

weka2000
21,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 14, 2021 02:39 |  #10649

Potisdad wrote in post #19271347 (external link)
Still a great camera!

yes for 13yrs old it still can focus dam quick

weka2000
21,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 14, 2021 02:41 |  #10650

first drive out to Raglan and sunset

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,982,404 views & 1,765 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.