Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 31 Dec 2019 (Tuesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 2020 landscapes!

Hannah'sDad
217 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2021 07:45 |  #2986

AS_Photo wrote in post #19273712 (external link)
This looks overly edited. I'd grade this image worse than the original you had posted. But both are lacking in contrast IMO. If you look at Peano's edit it has much better contrast.

I tend to agree, after looking at it more. I just don't have the Photoshop skills needed to make it really pop. I still have a few days before the entries are due, so I am going to reach out the the photographer in Allen in the previous post. Thanks for the honesty.

Scott
A couple of 5DIVs, some lenses, tripods, filters and bags. More than I need.
If someone says they remember the 60's, they didn't do it right.

sponsored links
markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Gallery: 1478 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 20, 2021 08:44 |  #2987

Well... this is great because you've identified where you should "focus" :-D in order to improve; I've kind of had the same discovery lately - a lot are now using "smart objects" and doing more photo composite work... So the whole editing process evolves quickly...

Overall though - sometimes I have learned to just not get so attached to one particular shot... sometimes you discover that going back and shooting the same place several times = better and improving results. Obviously this is a function of time/$/family/other priorities, but that's kind of how my learning process works. Luckily landscapes tend to be fairly static, but you may find a different time of year, different weather conditions, etc...

I'm curious what other shots you have that are say in your top 3-5 that are up for consideration... What is this contest? is there a link? Who's hosting it?

HannahsDad wrote in post #19273958 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;19273958]​I tend to agree, after looking at it more. I just don't have the Photoshop skills needed to make it really pop. I still have a few days before the entries are due, so I am going to reach out the the photographer in Allen in the previous post. Thanks for the honesty.

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

AS_Photo
262 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Aug 20, 2021 09:34 |  #2988

HannahsDad wrote in post #19273958 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;19273958]​I tend to agree, after looking at it more. I just don't have the Photoshop skills needed to make it really pop. I still have a few days before the entries are due, so I am going to reach out the the photographer in Allen in the previous post. Thanks for the honesty.

Of course! We can't improve without feedback :)

I will say though, entering into competitions can be frustrating. I have won best of show at a juried competition that I have entered many times and on other times that I entered the same show, I didn't get anything, where the best of show was to me pretty horrible. Once there was a picture of a dumpster (seriously) and the other was some concrete stairs under an overpass. It depends highly on the juror. Since this show was mixed with photography, woodworking, sculpture, painting, etc. there were a variety of jurors from a variety of disciplines. The year that I won best of show the juror was a photographer.

There have been some excellent works there as well that won best of show. One was a scratchboard piece that was simply amazing. You never feel bad when the one that wins is such a great piece.

I have also exhibited in shows where I didn't place, but I sold work and the work that placed didn't sell. So you never know what you are going to get in exhibitions.

josrood
186 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jan 2021

Aug 20, 2021 13:06 |  #2989

A view in the kurpark in Salzufflen Germany

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 20, 2021 13:59 |  #2990

Yeah... "post modern art" is an interesting topic....

AS_Photo wrote in post #19274002 (external link)
Of course! We can't improve without feedback :)

I will say though, entering into competitions can be frustrating. I have won best of show at a juried competition that I have entered many times and on other times that I entered the same show, I didn't get anything, where the best of show was to me pretty horrible. Once there was a picture of a dumpster (seriously) and the other was some concrete stairs under an overpass. It depends highly on the juror. Since this show was mixed with photography, woodworking, sculpture, painting, etc. there were a variety of jurors from a variety of disciplines. The year that I won best of show the juror was a photographer.

There have been some excellent works there as well that won best of show. One was a scratchboard piece that was simply amazing. You never feel bad when the one that wins is such a great piece.

I have also exhibited in shows where I didn't place, but I sold work and the work that placed didn't sell. So you never know what you are going to get in exhibitions.

Hannah'sDad
217 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Hannah'sDad.

Aug 20, 2021 15:59 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #2991

Chris -

The competition is the annual Professional Photographers of America (PPA) International Photographic Competition (IPC). Here is a link to it and you can see some of the winners from 2020. https://www.ppa.com/ev​ents/photo-competitions (external link) The judging is done by a group of judges who assign it a score from 0-100. It needs to score at least an 80 to merit (win). If it merits, then all of those that merited go back through judges and the ones that are selected for "loan" are chosen. "Loan" goes back to the days when the actual print was loaned out for exhibition during the year. You get one competition point for a merit and two for a loan image. You need 13 "points" to earn certain degrees from PPA, such as the Master of Photography degree. Here is a link to the PPA degree site: https://www.ppa.com/cr​edentials-mem/degrees (external link). It really is not about competing against anyone other than yourself and bettering your skills.

As for the other two that I am entering, I have already posted them in the 2021 landscape thread, so I won't post them here, just link to them.

Running Eagle Falls

https://photography-on-the.net …73&mg=284664&i=​i161956169

Swift Current Falls

https://photography-on-the.net …605&mg=284664&i​=i96894680

Both of these need a little bit of work before submission, but not like the one in this thread. I can enter up to four images and still need to select my fourth.

Scott

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 21, 2021 10:43 |  #2992

Interesting...

So in browsing some of the work on there....

I think a lot of peoples work on here runs circles around what's been posted there...

2 components I see:

1) The photo itself

2) The editing...

So really I think most people have #1 down pretty well being that we are nolonger limited to 24-26 photos on film... (I'm OLD okay!), so eventually most have figured out how to take decent photos/decent compositions. Where I see the biggest difference now is #2, the editing aspect. This is where a lot of people are standing out.

BTW: This is why I love birds/wildlife photography, because you either GET that shot, in that moment, or ya didn't... there's less emphases on spending hours editing your way to greatness. Now getting back into landscapes for a while, the biggest thing I see is just a wide variety in editing styles/expertise ( I have a lot to learn myself! ).

HannahsDad wrote in post #19274123 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;19274123]​Chris -

The competition is the annual Professional Photographers of America (PPA) International Photographic Competition (IPC). Here is a link to it and you can see some of the winners from 2020. https://www.ppa.com/ev​ents/photo-competitions (external link) The judging is done by a group of judges who assign it a score from 0-100. It needs to score at least an 80 to merit (win). If it merits, then all of those that merited go back through judges and the ones that are selected for "loan" are chosen. "Loan" goes back to the days when the actual print was loaned out for exhibition during the year. You get one competition point for a merit and two for a loan image. You need 13 "points" to earn certain degrees from PPA, such as the Master of Photography degree. Here is a link to the PPA degree site: https://www.ppa.com/cr​edentials-mem/degrees (external link). It really is not about competing against anyone other than yourself and bettering your skills.

As for the other two that I am entering, I have already posted them in the 2021 landscape thread, so I won't post them here, just link to them.

Running Eagle Falls

https://photography-on-the.net …73&mg=284664&i=​i161956169

Swift Current Falls

https://photography-on-the.net …605&mg=284664&i​=i96894680

Both of these need a little bit of work before submission, but not like the one in this thread. I can enter up to four images and still need to select my fourth.

cuda2k
567 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 24, 2021 19:34 |  #2993

TRhoads wrote in post #19273660 (external link)
I know a guy in Allen, Texas that does teaching and photoshop teaching, Jon Fischer, https://www.facebook.c​om/JonPFischerPhotogra​phy (external link)

Thanks for the shout out Travis!

While I'm here, I'll throw in one of my favorites from 2020.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Website/Portfolio (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Picasa (external link) - Facebook Page (external link)
Canon 6D | 24-105Lmm | 17-40L | 28mm f1.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300mm

junglialoh
Goldmember
2,768 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jun 2016

Aug 24, 2021 19:59 as a reply to  @ cuda2k's post |  #2994

Well done beautifully this foggy mood image

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,295 posts
Gallery: 702 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 24, 2021 20:53 |  #2995

cuda2k wrote in post #19275710 (external link)
Thanks for the shout out Travis!

While I'm here, I'll throw in one of my favorites from 2020.

no problem, welcome back!

Website (external link) | YouTube (external link) | Instagram (external link) | The Gear List

Hannah'sDad
217 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2021 05:13 |  #2996

TRhoads wrote in post #19273660 (external link)
I know a guy in Allen, Texas that does teaching and photoshop teaching, Jon Fischer, https://www.facebook.c​om/JonPFischerPhotogra​phy (external link)

Travis -

Thank you for the reference! He definitely knows Photoshop. We had our first session via Zoom yesterday (I'll be glad when this COVID crap is behind us). He had some very good pointers and it was well worth the time and money. I would recommend him to anyone that is struggling with a particular part of an image. He knows his stuff!

Scott

Scott

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,295 posts
Gallery: 702 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 25, 2021 17:35 |  #2997

HannahsDad wrote in post #19275821 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;19275821]

Travis -

Thank you for the reference! He definitely knows Photoshop. We had our first session via Zoom yesterday (I'll be glad when this COVID crap is behind us). He had some very good pointers and it was well worth the time and money. I would recommend him to anyone that is struggling with a particular part of an image. He knows his stuff!

Scott

Glad it worked out!

Website (external link) | YouTube (external link) | Instagram (external link) | The Gear List

sponsored links

428,560 views & 25,239 likes for this thread
Post your 2020 landscapes!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.