Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2021 (Monday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bourbon shot, tips on getting this look?

ra40
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Gallery: 629 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 30, 2021 23:49 |  #1

Saw this image on a review site and was trying to figure out how they did this one.

What throws me a bit is that on the cork is decently lit from the lower portion up yet 2-3 inches down the band on the neck is fairly dark. The contents of the bottle has that nice golden amber glow too. I attempt these shots though getting it in a one take is elusive.

Your insights on how this may have been done is appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,904 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 31, 2021 01:56 |  #2

the starting setup I would try first...

• Transmitted light thru the lower back of the bottle and bourbon, from immediately behind the bottle
  • Main light to camera right side of bottle, elevation at about 2:00 o'clock and aimed downward toward bottle
  • Fill via snooted illumination of cork from camera lert, elevation about 8 o'clock and aimed slightly upward

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by ra40.

Sep 02, 2021 19:13 |  #3

Thanks Wilt!

I've been attempting a one shot take without any similarities. Managed to get a close approximation with 4-5 shots.

The bottle glow for the first.
Table shadow second.
Background third.
Neck label forth.

Some variations to mix in. Fun and interesting to figure out these shoots. :-) This will allow me some practice doing a composite.

Wilt
44,904 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2021 19:18 as a reply to  @ ra40's post |  #4

I did this 3 decades ago, as my 1/2 day project during a product lighting workshop...three exposures on same piece of 4x5 transparency film
You may have seen it on POTN before. Most of the 1/2 day was set layout and figuring out the component pieces of the shot, like light source placement and control of light for each of the component elements shot on Polaroid to evaluate technique...and IIRC about 10-20 min to actually make the composite shot (rush before class resumed) with a few different pieces of film in the event of error.

IMAGE: https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Winebottle.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
IMAGE LINK: https://app.photobucke​t.com …3-edac5f8e2a1e?login=tru​e  (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 03, 2021 19:38 |  #5

Shot about 200 frames and gradually realized how to integrate some of the lighting to get the results. Wasn't able to get as defined a bottle shadow so that one I'll need to work on. This is a two frame composite since the grided reflector left a whole highlight down the neck. The label is one from a diffused shot.

HOSTED PHOTO

Wilt
44,904 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 04, 2021 11:51 |  #6

What are you trying to do, which makes you not happy with the bottle definition? I see only the lack of a highlighted edge...white panel reflection (or narrow long softbox) placed at correct location does that.
I can see your Main is what seems to be a somewhat smallish source.

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 04, 2021 14:50 |  #7

Thanks Wilt! Some of the ads on first look seem simple yet that may not be the case.

I'm trying to duplicate that bourbon shot as precisely as possible. Today I'll work on how they achieved such a crisp shadow to be like that.

The main has an 8" reflector with a 40 degree grid installed that is about 5' away from subject. A graduated reflector is on bottle left which can use a bit of refining as the placements reflects a bit to much back. The black flag turns the fade into a solid black so getting a bit more believable shadow graduation is desired there as well.

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 09, 2021 22:45 |  #8

Pleased with this version. A few subtle changes in light placement brought some nicer results. I ran out of stands to hold flags which I didn't originally consider necessary. LOL. One more session to dial in a few areas.

HOSTED PHOTO

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 11, 2021 18:09 |  #9

My final on this bottle. Wanted a bit of graduation to the contents and this is about what was in mind.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

625 views & 3 likes for this thread
Bourbon shot, tips on getting this look?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.