Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 11 Jan 2020 (Saturday) 04:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hand made from wood, fibre, clay, porcelain, glass, wool, leather, metals.....

Jonzjob
in the land of Donald Duck
3,151 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Sep 10, 2021 04:06 |  #496

Thank you Mellisa, we think that too. I will be going to a shop today, I hope and I have no idea just how to price it?

It was certainly 'interesting' to turn :rolleyes:

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
12,439 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 10, 2021 09:37 |  #497

John,

I just went to your website https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)

This block you made amazes me how you turned a spherical ball inside this block of wood is magical!!

The sphere diameter is MUCH LARGER than the holes on the outside of the block by maybe 1/2 inch?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2021 11:24 |  #498

Jonzjob wrote in post #19266245 (external link)
You cracked it PH and Charles if you look at his photo you can see that the cage/cube is held steady by 3 clamps. 2 are clamped on the lathe bars either side of the cube and one across the top to squeeze the clamp arms on to the cube to hold it in place. Then the ball is held between 2 cups to spin it inside the cube

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jonzjob in
./showthread.php?p=192​66245&i=i127199145
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

It's a bit fiddly but not too much and a bit of care goes a long way. And it can and does go wrong at times:oops::oops::oops:

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​66245&i=i54849011

It doesn't pay to try to take liberties :rolleyes:

This shows the method of holding the cube whilst the ball is being perfected and I am sure that I did a work in progress somewhere on here?

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2021 11:24 |  #499

Thank you Charles. They are fun to do and they don't always work :eek: I have had a couple go BANG on me, at which point I usually say "golly-gosh", or something like that, a couple of times :oops:

I discovered afterwards that the block I was trying to work had a tiny crack in it. Well, that's my excuse anyway :rolleyes:

John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2021 11:28 |  #500

Jonzjob wrote in post #19265899 (external link)
Well I start with a cube Charles and turn the 'holes' in each face. I made a small pattern to get a rough idea of the shape needed

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​65899&i=i195143145

When all 6 faces are turned the ball starts to appear and you can see the gap through the 'legs' of the cube

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​65899&i=i157998750

Found it. This is where the sequence starts Charles if you remember?

John.

Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
12,439 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 10, 2021 17:00 |  #501

Jonzjob wrote in post #19281890 (external link)
Found it. This is where the sequence starts Charles if you remember?

Thank you for reminding me you had already posted these pictures!!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

greyswan
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 12, 2021 17:22 |  #502

Jonzjob wrote in post #19281626 (external link)
I have never had any interest in doing anything with resins, apart from bits and bobs on my model RC gliders, and I think that nature can never be bettered by mankind, she has been doing things for a bit of a long time and is good at it. So, unless it were to reinforce the lump it isn't an option for me.

I feel the same about colouring the wood except for the odd bit of staining occasionally on wooden toys. Even the idea of turning pens in resin hasn't ever interested me, although I have seen some very nice examples of resin pens. It's just not my style really and I leave that to others.

That's correct OH. It is a yarn bowl and the ball of yarn is held in the bowl so it doesn't decide to do a runner in use when the yarn is pulled out of the hole. :mrgreen: Thank you for your ideas though Infrared Guy. I always try to listen even if I don't adopt ideas put forward. I have learnt a hell of a lot from listening.

One of the things I have said before about the wonder of turning is that although you can see the form of a spinning bit

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​81626&i=i122807276

You can't see the detail until it's stopped and that's always a surprise

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​81626&i=i181504647

That's what makes it magical

I love turned burls and spalted wood: I agree that they don't need any fillers, they are beautiful, the magic in them is in the design of nature. I always admire the skill and strength it takes to turn a piece of wood like this without breaking your arms from kickback, or breaking the bowl itself.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2021 03:52 |  #503

Thank you Grey Swan. Your comment about kickback reminded me of the song 'Love Hurts'. If it hurts then you must be doing it wrong :rolleyes:

It's the same with turning something out of balance. You have to get the speed to a place where it's not pitching the lathe all over the place and causing a lot of vibration, the faster the better. Then the trick is to go very slowly and carefully to take off the unbalanced parts. I try to take off as much as I can on my bandsaw before mounting it on the lathe. And as it becomes more balanced the speed can be increased, little by little. The faster, to a certain degree, you can get it spinning the easier it becomes. There are catches at times and as yet I have never had a gouge ripped out of my hands. I could go on, but ???

It's an exact approximation as to how thick/thin to take the walls of a bowl and takes very scientific guessing to stop before it goes BANG! I always stop in time, sometimes :oops: But I try to get the walls fairly thin as I think it looks more elegant that a big heavy lump. The guess work with spalted wood? Err on the safe side and make it a bit thicker is what I have learned.

John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2021 12:07 |  #504

I have just finished doing 3 more pens and got to thinking about how many I have made? The conclusion was that I have no idea, but I bought our MacBook Pro 13 in 2010 almost completely with the proceeds!

These are the 3 just finished. They are made from Accoya and the Celtic knot is walnut

HOSTED PHOTO

And these I made some while ago

HOSTED PHOTO

I will do a bit of a work in progress for the Celtic Cross when I get a few minutes

John.

Jerry-R
800 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 13, 2021 13:57 |  #505

When my wife was into ceramics ...

HOSTED PHOTO

Retired, but still learning ...

avondale87
THREAD ­ STARTER
thanks for whoever started this
12,093 posts
Gallery: 1026 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 13, 2021 16:41 |  #506

Jonzjob wrote in post #19283068 (external link)
I have just finished doing 3 more pens and got to thinking about how many I have made? The conclusion was that I have no idea, but I bought our MacBook Pro 13 in 2010 almost completely with the proceeds!

These are the 3 just finished. They are made from Accoya and the Celtic knot is walnut

And these I made some while ago

I will do a bit of a work in progress for the Celtic Cross when I get a few minutes

Very nice work John. Always admire the work that goes into miniatures and very small turning

Jerry-R wrote in post #19283125 (external link)
When my wife was into ceramics ...

Beautifully made Jerry.
She is very accomplished.
I gather it's still in your possession?

Richard

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2021 16:57 |  #507

That is a very impressive piece Jerry.

When she was into ceramics? It's a real shame if she isn't doing it now. She is/was very good at it!

John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2021 17:08 |  #508

How I do the Celtic knot in my pens. I use a very simple jig to cut the pen blanks to the right length

HOSTED PHOTO

The hole in the center is done holding the blank upright in my bench drill with this

HOSTED PHOTO

John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Jonzjob.

Sep 13, 2021 17:14 |  #509

Then when I am sure the hole hasn't wandered in the blank I can strat to cut the 45ยบ slots for the contrasting wood

HOSTED PHOTO

The contrasting wood is glued in place and when the glue has dried the slot is repeated, wood glued in and so forth on all 4 faces. I cut the slot to stop about 1/16" from going right through. That gives me the flex to put the contrast wood in and still hold the blank complete.

And I finish up with an untidy lump like this

HOSTED PHOTO

Different bit of wood obviously :rolleyes:

John.

Jonzjob
3,151 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2021 17:18 |  #510

From there I drill out the contrasting wood that now blocks the hole and it goes onto the special lathe jig

HOSTED PHOTO

and the magic happens

HOSTED PHOTO

John.

sponsored links

57,927 views & 2,006 likes for this thread
Hand made from wood, fibre, clay, porcelain, glass, wool, leather, metals.....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.