Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Bill ­ in ­ Texas
Cream of the Crop
7,881 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 14, 2021 04:42 |  #50641

So I start reviewing all the info you guys furnished on shooting the Milky Way and think, I need to look at the moon phase after watching the first video. We are leaving Sunday for the dark skies of west Texas. Full moon is Monday. -? I didn't plan the trip around the moon but could have. Maybe there will be enough less toward the end of the trip, nine days, to try.

Bill being Smug (external link)
Bill's flickr (external link)
Sony a7, a7RIII, a9, Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens, Tamron 70-180mm, F2.8 Di III VXD, Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6,3 GM OSS, Sony FE 1.4X teleconverter

sponsored links
TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Gallery: 702 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 14, 2021 05:45 |  #50642

vipergts831 wrote in post #19283294 (external link)
It’s going to be. Looking forward to the results. Will you get a chance to capture them when they compete as well?

They are competing tonight, so there will be some shots as they compete, and then we are going to do some team pictures and some with their sponsors gear. I want to do some creative stuff with a strobe but we will stage those, I don't want it to be distracting while they are officially playing.

Eddie wrote in post #19283344 (external link)
Yep defo a big deal. Most of the betting websites/apps in the uk allow you to gamble on it, for example -

I had no idea...but they are the team for their school, college level.

Bill in Texas wrote in post #19283345 (external link)
So I start reviewing all the info you guys furnished on shooting the Milky Way and think, I need to look at the moon phase after watching the first video. We are leaving Sunday for the dark skies of west Texas. Full moon is Monday. -? I didn't plan the trip around the moon but could have. Maybe there will be enough less toward the end of the trip, nine days, to try.

Yes, Moon phase is really key...it needs to not be visible.

Website (external link) | YouTube (external link) | Instagram (external link) | The Gear List

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 14, 2021 07:08 |  #50643

Bill in Texas wrote in post #19283345 (external link)

I always plan my holiday around the new moon. Don't tell the other half though!  :p

You can shoot with a bit of moon depending on the strength and direction. Of course, you could always shoot with the moon lighting the foreground and catching constellations and star trails.....

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 14, 2021 10:09 |  #50644

eriet30 wrote in post #19283237 (external link)
One of the reasons I got rid of my 6x00 bods (well converted one to IR) was because the bigger battery is way better it was also a decision going from the A7r2 to A7r4 night and day. If i turn it off while hiking I can make it last a full day and thats about 1k shots.

Getting 1K shots out of a Sony e-mount body is a major coup, looking back on the days with my old A7r and hoping to get 400 shots out of it.

Sony A7c, Sony FE28-60 f4-5.6, Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 14, 2021 10:15 as a reply to  @ post 19283246 |  #50645

I do print, but have done so with stills from my old a6000--so no real qualms there. I sure won't miss the a99ii files--they are huge!

Carrying the utlra-small footprint of the a7c with either the kit lens or 55 1.8 is something I am very much looking forward to. I used the 55 1.8 a lot on my old a6000 and a7r, and it was a winning kit for me back then. I'm deal-hunting for a spare battery and maybe even a charger... just one battery, and that's great.

Sony A7c, Sony FE28-60 f4-5.6, Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Bill ­ in ­ Texas
Cream of the Crop
7,881 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 14, 2021 13:11 |  #50646

LeeRatters wrote in post #19283377 (external link)
I always plan my holiday around the new moon. Don't tell the other half though!  :p

You can shoot with a bit of moon depending on the strength and direction. Of course, you could always shoot with the moon lighting the foreground and catching constellations and star trails.....

It is a 9 day trip so maybe toward the end. The FM is the second night.

Bill being Smug (external link)
Bill's flickr (external link)
Sony a7, a7RIII, a9, Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens, Tamron 70-180mm, F2.8 Di III VXD, Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6,3 GM OSS, Sony FE 1.4X teleconverter

Itsed65
Goldmember
4,969 posts
Gallery: 2149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2021 16:34 |  #50647

Was driving home yesterday and passed this pond and decided to pull a u turn and go back to take a few snaps.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51475029515_63e6291f15_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2mqE​YUT  (external link)
Late Summer Maine (external link) by lennycarl08 (external link), on Flickr

Fuji XT-2, XT-3, Sony A1, A7RIV, A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 15, 2021 16:16 |  #50648

So I had wanted to do some strobe work last night...but that wasn't going to happen. It would have been too distracting and too bright, these guys play this game in the dark essentially. ISO was up and I had to shoot wide open for most anything to get reasonable shutter speeds. The a1 handled the LED lights and monitors well. Better than I expected. It was also a very small room, tight quarters for sure.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One of the main needs was images showing these big custom mouse pads...the vendor is a sponsor of the team.

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link) | YouTube (external link) | Instagram (external link) | The Gear List

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
10,370 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 15, 2021 19:26 |  #50649

The End of the Line...

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
44,050 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Sep 15, 2021 20:35 |  #50650

TRhoads wrote in post #19283878 (external link)
So I had wanted to do some strobe work last night...but that wasn't going to happen. It would have been too distracting and too bright, these guys play this game in the dark essentially. ISO was up and I had to shoot wide open for most anything to get reasonable shutter speeds. The a1 handled the LED lights and monitors well. Better than I expected. It was also a very small room, tight quarters for sure.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=192​83878&i=i180489136
forum: Sony Cameras

One of the main needs was images showing these big custom mouse pads...the vendor is a sponsor of the team.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=192​83878&i=i163662207
forum: Sony Cameras

Great work! Damn forgot to warm you that they game in very dim lighting! But you did a very good job adjusting! Dealing with LED lights is one of the reason I want to move from a Sony A7RIV to say a Sony A9II. The LEDs in my home are wrecking havoc and causing me to drop shutter speeds too low.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5∞px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2021 05:36 |  #50651

vipergts831 wrote in post #19283985 (external link)
Great work! Damn forgot to warm you that they game in very dim lighting! But you did a very good job adjusting! Dealing with LED lights is one of the reason I want to move from a Sony A7RIV to say a Sony A9II. The LEDs in my home are wrecking havoc and causing me to drop shutter speeds too low.

I thought they might, but nothing I could do about it. Strobes would have been blinding.

I have that same issue in my house, the a7iii in mechanical shutter was what I used the most to deal with it.

vipergts831
44,050 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 16, 2021 09:06 |  #50652

TRhoads wrote in post #19284069 (external link)
I thought they might, but nothing I could do about it. Strobes would have been blinding.

I have that same issue in my house, the a7iii in mechanical shutter was what I used the most to deal with it.

Anymore future gigs to shoot the team?

Yup with a new born in the home and snapping images I try not to be in mechanical shutter. Oh well lol

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vipergts831
44,050 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 16, 2021 09:06 |  #50653

Very interesting:

From SonyRumors

I have been told the A7IV has basically the same A7SIII body. It means it also has the same heatsink and a HDMI type A port and can take both UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress A cards

Sony A7IV rumored specs:

launch in October (if chip supply permits this)
Newly developed 33MP sensor
4k30 video is oversampled from 7K
5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)
Same A7sIII body design
Full size HDMi
UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress cards

https://www.sonyalphar​umors.com …and-same-a7siii-heatsink/ (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2021 10:28 |  #50654

vipergts831 wrote in post #19284118 (external link)
Anymore future gigs to shoot the team?

Yup with a new born in the home and snapping images I try not to be in mechanical shutter. Oh well lol

I doubt it. But who knows.

The mechanical shutter on the a7iii is my favorite, it has a satisfying sound. Sadly the a1 does not, not as bad as the a9, but not my favorite.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,605 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 16, 2021 18:23 |  #50655

vipergts831 wrote in post #19284119 (external link)
Very interesting:

From SonyRumors

I have been told the A7IV has basically the same A7SIII body. It means it also has the same heatsink and a HDMI type A port and can take both UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress A cards

Sony A7IV rumored specs:

launch in October (if chip supply permits this)
Newly developed 33MP sensor
4k30 video is oversampled from 7K
5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)
Same A7sIII body design
Full size HDMi
UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress cards

https://www.sonyalphar​umors.com …and-same-a7siii-heatsink/ (external link)

I'm not a fan of sony using cfexpress A. it's so expensive and its not super fast like type B. Other than that, everything else looks good for you :P now the price... ehehe

sponsored links

9,763,861 views & 122,093 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.