Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2015 (Friday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my red ring broke

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by vengence.

Jul 26, 2015 15:38 |  #16

You should make sure to get that fixed quickly. That red ring might not look important, but it's vital for the lens to function correctly. Without it, the lens will be very soft, lots of vignetting, and horrible chromatic aberration. Better fix it quick!

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 26, 2015 16:02 |  #17

I'm a fan of addressing problems with tape as often as possible, but in this case I might be a little concerned about moisture and debris getting lodged in between if it's left in place for too long. Anyone care to guess what ridiculous rate Canon charges to install a new vanity ring?

Look on the bright side. You'll be stealthier now.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2015 16:32 |  #18

Whoa is me my red ring broke , I am know longer a elite photographer .
LOL and then super glue to fix it and screw up your manual focus.

You guys got me rolling on the floor .

Buy a bag of red rubber bands , then if a filter gets stuck at least the rubber band can be used for something besides looks.....

Does that red ring mean that much to every one , I wonder how much of the value of the lens drops just because the ring broke off.

I think I want to change my user name to The red rubber band man.... because I am going to put a red rubber band on all my lenses now LOL.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kKbADFJOCkU (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 26, 2015 21:32 |  #19

PineBomb wrote in post #17645216 (external link)
I'm a fan of addressing problems with tape as often as possible, but in this case I might be a little concerned about moisture and debris getting lodged in between if it's left in place for too long. Anyone care to guess what ridiculous rate Canon charges to install a new vanity ring?

Look on the bright side. You'll be stealthier now.

Easily USD$125.00? :cry:

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,934 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jul 27, 2015 04:10 |  #20

vengence wrote in post #17645194 (external link)
You should make sure to get that fixed quickly. That red ring might not look important, but it's vital for the lens to function correctly. Without it, the lens will be very soft, lots of vignetting, and horrible chromatic aberration. Better fix it quick!

yea it's the 24-105, some might say it's already got that :)

farmer1957 wrote in post #17645253 (external link)
Does that red ring mean that much to every one , I wonder how much of the value of the lens drops just because the ring broke off.

I did wonder that myself. since I don't know when I would replace the lens I don't know if it's important or not.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

primate
21 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Post edited over 6 years ago by primate.

Jul 27, 2015 10:26 |  #21

Another approach:

For sale: Special edition "stealth" 24-105L f4. This lens has been re-engineered without an obvious red ring for those times when a professional photographer needs to be discrete. Stay below the radar during street photography. Avoid issues with security when entering a sports stadium. And more!

This one of a kind lens is a steal at $3000. No telling how long it will last before it is snapped up so act now!

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 18, 2016 14:10 |  #22

Hi my name is Jeff and I have a 24-105L that has decided to neuter itself too. Worst part is it shot off and I lost it..

wow I didnt realize this was a normal thing!
hmm I like the red electrical tape idea as I was just going to use a red rubber band

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

oingyboingybob
181 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 19, 2016 10:27 |  #23

There are those that don't rate the 24-105 highly to say the least. Red band or no red band I have this lens attached more or less permanently to my 5DS with excellent results. If and when Canon extract the digit and release a newer more sooperdooper version of it I may have a close look, but it had better be good.

Sony A7iii, Sony A6300
Tamron 28-75mm, Sony 200-600mm, Sony 90mm f2.8G, Sony 85mm f1.8
Samyang 18mm
Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 mkii, Sigma MC-11

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 26, 2021 15:52 |  #24

itsallart wrote in post #17644541 (external link)
Red electrical tape on mine when it broke. Cut the tape with exacto knife, wrapped it around 3 times to build up the correct thickness and voila...looks like a bought one :)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by itsallart in
./showthread.php?p=176​44541&i=i73556104
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Same thing happened with my 24-105. Is this peculiar to this particular lens? Seems that all the reports in this thread on this problem involve this particular lens.

Anyway. how did you get the ring back on the lens after you taped it with the red electrical tape?

I wrote to Canon - cost of repair: $349!!!

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

drsilver
912 posts
Gallery: 430 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 27, 2021 13:17 |  #25

farmer1957 wrote in post #17645253 (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kKbADFJOCkU (external link)

I don't know if I'm allowed to add this link here, but here's a little experiment.

This is an Ebay auction for a 1st gen EF 24-105 f/4L. Comparable completed sales tell us that the lens should sell for between $400-600. From the details on the item for sale, this lens is a perfectly average used copy and should sell for somewhere close to the middle of that. Except, it has no red ring.

Auction ends Saturday.

https://www.ebay.com …ksid=p2060353.m​1438.l2649 (external link)

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this listing. I don't know the seller and I will not be bidding on this lens or one like it in the immediate future. (I already own one - red ring intact.)

My guess: $375.

Flickr (external link) : Instagram (web)] (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,984 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2021 15:11 |  #26

the flying moose wrote in post #17644545 (external link)
Good idea, but I would have used something other than red just for a change, perhaps a nice bright green or something.

It's not a DO lens, so you cannot use bright green. A gold band would turn it into a Tamron or a Tokina, and leaving off the red band it would be a Sigma.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drsilver
912 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by drsilver. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2021 15:58 |  #27

This is my double-red-ring 24-105. It is, obviously, twice as bitchin as any single-ring model.

Someone (maybe someone here) suggested that one of those silicon wrist bands work great to stop zoom creep. After a proof-of-concept run with one that was laying around the house, I went out on Amazon or Ebay or someplace and found a 'Thin Red Line', 'Support your local firefighter' one. Looks cool, works great. I also have one on my 400 f/5.6 to dampen up that big, fat, easy-to-turn manual focus ring that I'm always hitting accidentally.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

drsilver
912 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 03, 2021 12:26 |  #28

drsilver wrote in post #19288298 (external link)
I don't know if I'm allowed to add this link here, but here's a little experiment.

This is an Ebay auction for a 1st gen EF 24-105 f/4L. Comparable completed sales tell us that the lens should sell for between $400-600. From the details on the item for sale, this lens is a perfectly average used copy and should sell for somewhere close to the middle of that. Except, it has no red ring.

Auction ends Saturday.

https://www.ebay.com …ksid=p2060353.m​1438.l2649 (external link)

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this listing. I don't know the seller and I will not be bidding on this lens or one like it in the immediate future. (I already own one - red ring intact.)

My guess: $375.

This auction ended yesterday.

Final Price: $380.60

Here's a selection of 24-105mm (G1) lenses that sold in the last couple of days on Ebay. The only other one that sold for less than $400 (after shipping) was one listed by the seller as in 'Fair Condition' and mentioned that it 'squeaks when focusing.'

So, a missing red ring apparently takes a bigger chunk out of resale value than squeaky focusing.

Also notice there were 39 bids (from 16 unique bidders) on the ringless lens. That means at least 16 individuals are willing to go ringless to save $100.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2021 13:19 |  #29

drsilver wrote in post #19288345 (external link)
This is my double-red-ring 24-105. It is, obviously, twice as bitchin as any single-ring model.

Someone (maybe someone here) suggested that one of those silicon wrist bands work great to stop zoom creep. After a proof-of-concept run with one that was laying around the house, I went out on Amazon or Ebay or someplace and found a 'Thin Red Line', 'Support your local firefighter' one. Looks cool, works great. I also have one on my 400 f/5.6 to dampen up that big, fat, easy-to-turn manual focus ring that I'm always hitting accidentally.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by drsilver in
./showthread.php?p=192​88345&i=i17928209
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Great! So how did you get it onto the lens? Is it very elastic?

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

drsilver
912 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 03, 2021 20:27 |  #30

b.d.bop wrote in post #19290434 (external link)
Great! So how did you get it onto the lens? Is it very elastic?

It's snug, but stretchy enough to slide right on. It's snug enough that when I overlap the zoom ring, the ring still turns easily, but tight enough to stop zoom creep.

sponsored links

11,410 views & 10 likes for this thread
my red ring broke
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.