Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 29 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your best "Road Photos"

josrood
537 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Jan 2021
Post edited 15 days ago by josrood.

Oct 08, 2021 11:59 |  #3241

road to a house. Not my house

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 2288 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 08, 2021 18:28 |  #3242

OhLook wrote in post #19292134 (external link)
-? I see just one upright (vertical) pole that's taller than the others, and it's in the front row, right side.

I'm wondering about the purpose of the two tanks of water on the boardwalk, if that's what they are. To give dogs a drink, perhaps–but the water doesn't look at all clean.

There are some nets near the tanks (aquaria?) I suppose they catch things from the pond and keep them alive and visible in the tanks.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,599 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 08, 2021 22:42 |  #3243

Capn Jack wrote in post #19292437 (external link)
There are some nets near the tanks (aquaria?) I suppose they catch things from the pond and keep them alive and visible in the tanks.

That sounds right, thanks. It would explain why the water is pond-color.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

JoC2016
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2016

Oct 09, 2021 00:11 |  #3244

a 'dirt' road and a long disused 'rail' road. cheers

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50618987436_1ad1e4c94c_h.jpg
Canon 6d Mk2 / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 @28mm / f5.6 / 1/160sec / ISO100

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40765359603_afa4c06570_h.jpg
Canon 6d Mk2 / Canon 17-40mm f4L @17mm / f4 / 20sec / ISO1000
(light painted with a small LED torch)

I don't take myself seriously. Maybe I should be more seriouser.
one time Rugby League photographer (external link) | one time Rugby Union photographer (external link) | ongoing Motorsport (external link), Triathlon and Event (external link) photographer

markesc
Goldmember
3,580 posts
Gallery: 1538 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 09, 2021 09:50 |  #3245

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
3,580 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 09, 2021 09:51 |  #3246

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

unclejohn
Goldmember
1,322 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2019

Oct 09, 2021 10:49 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #3247

The third one.

I don't know anything. But I know other things.

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
11,348 posts
Gallery: 957 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2021 05:36 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #3248

Chris these really are impressive. Scenery and photography alike.
I'm curious how long the colours take to fill out across the countryside and then how long it lasts.
I imagine latter has a lot to do with the weather as rain and wind would knock the foliage about.

Certainly is a beautiful natural phenomenon

Richard

markesc
Goldmember
3,580 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 10, 2021 19:41 |  #3249

I really have no idea... I was hiking Corona arch here in Moab one day and ran into some people that live in Durango... I kept in touch and then they gave me the word that it's time to make a trip over (about 2.5 hours) to checkout the color. Honestly in the lower elevations the color was just getting started, but as I drove up higher and higher (towards Silverton and Ouray via the Million Dollar Highway) the color just goes to insanity level. I've never seen anything like it. It's just absolutely insane.

So that was Weds the 29th of September, so I think you get roughly 10-14 days before the leaves drop, but it's not like it happens all at once; You'll see it depends upon elevation. Other factors I've been told are how cold it gets at night, and the preceding weather from the Summer in terms of rain... Trees that are stressed out will drop leaves faster.

Everyone I spoke with in the area said this year was one of the best in many years, so if you can get out there really soon, I doubt you'll be disappointed. If anything, the drive alone is worth it, just make sure you don't have any loose items in the car because there's some insane switchbacks

avondale87 wrote in post #19293054 (external link)
I'm curious how long the colours take to fill out across the countryside and then how long it lasts.
I imagine latter has a lot to do with the weather as rain and wind would knock the foliage about.

avondale87
11,348 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2021 20:03 |  #3250

markesc wrote in post #19293305 (external link)
I really have no idea... I was hiking Corona arch here in Moab one day and ran into some people that live in Durango... I kept in touch and then they gave me the word that it's time to make a trip over (about 2.5 hours) to checkout the color. Honestly in the lower elevations the color was just getting started, but as I drove up higher and higher (towards Silverton and Ouray via the Million Dollar Highway) the color just goes to insanity level. I've never seen anything like it. It's just absolutely insane.

So that was Weds the 29th of September, so I think you get roughly 10-14 days before the leaves drop, but it's not like it happens all at once; You'll see it depends upon elevation. Other factors I've been told are how cold it gets at night, and the preceding weather from the Summer in terms of rain... Trees that are stressed out will drop leaves faster.

Everyone I spoke with in the area said this year was one of the best in many years, so if you can get out there really soon, I doubt you'll be disappointed. If anything, the drive alone is worth it, just make sure you don't have any loose items in the car because there's some insane switchbacks

thanks Chris for the extra details, much appreciated.
Like much in nature, nature knows what's going on around it and prepares itself
Keep them coming, they are certainly stunning viewing

Richard

Eidelweiss
Goldmember
2,419 posts
Gallery: 415 photos
Joined Nov 2018

Oct 11, 2021 05:04 |  #3251

avondale87 wrote in post #19293054 (external link)

Here in the northeast United States, the leaf change starts north, and extends down to the south and out to the west and east.
Temperature and humidity of climate play a big roll. In my neck of the woods, we notice that the maples around wetlands start to go crimson before all others.
I was in Crawford Notch yesterday, and that area, north of where I reside, was at about 80% peak colors.

CrawfordNotch (external link)

Chris~ Nikon D 3400
Chimper. There, I said it.
flickr (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
3,580 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 11, 2021 15:03 |  #3252

Appreciate it! That's probably it for me though... gonna be busy with work moving forward! So you'll prob just see weekend photos from around Moab on here.

There's some insane fall color photos on instagram of the colorado area, if you can stand the gram...

Personally I like the authenticity on here much better!

avondale87 wrote in post #19293310 (external link)
thanks Chris for the extra details, much appreciated.
Like much in nature, nature knows what's going on around it and prepares itself
Keep them coming, they are certainly stunning viewing

avondale87
11,348 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 11, 2021 16:01 |  #3253

Eidelweiss wrote in post #19293401 (external link)
Here in the northeast United States, the leaf change starts north, and extends down to the south and out to the west and east.
Temperature and humidity of climate play a big roll. In my neck of the woods, we notice that the maples around wetlands start to go crimson before all others.
I was in Crawford Notch yesterday, and that area, north of where I reside, was at about 80% peak colors.

CrawfordNotch (external link)

Thanks Chris. What a beautiful area. Tragic history!

markesc wrote in post #19293632 (external link)
Appreciate it! That's probably it for me though... gonna be busy with work moving forward! So you'll prob just see weekend photos from around Moab on here.

There's some insane fall color photos on instagram of the colorado area, if you can stand the gram...

Personally I like the authenticity on here much better!

Thanks Chris. Happy to see any of your photos. Moab! Look forward to them. Enjoy your weekends :-)

Richard

josrood
537 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Jan 2021

Oct 13, 2021 16:04 |  #3254

Very slippery

HOSTED PHOTO

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
21,838 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 19, 2021 20:14 |  #3255

IR 720nm

HOSTED PHOTO

Some simple photos

sponsored links

1,065,541 views & 9,737 likes for this thread
Post your best "Road Photos"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.