Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 05 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Churches from all over the world...

Pippan
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 17, 2021 00:12 |  #1381

Jonzjob wrote in post #19307856 (external link)
140 years and counting ! Gaudi would have been quite surprised me-thinks!

I wonder how they would have managed without the modern building kit?

Many of Europe's cathedrals took between 150 and 600 years to build.

Everything comes to those who wait.

sponsored links
Ray.Petri
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Gallery: 1972 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2021 01:59 |  #1382

This child wrote in post #19307544 (external link)
It has interesting ceiling construction and paneling.

It really is interesting, scroll to the top picture for the outside tiling of the roof.

josrood wrote in post #19307582 (external link)
Gaudi's church in Barcelona stil under construction.

Nice picture, what an interesting and intricate bit of architecture.

Piet ZA wrote in post #19308169 (external link)
Imagine you were a stone mason, working on this building, which your father was working on, and your grandfather and your grand-grandfather..
:cry:

A classic example of ‘Jobs for the boys’. With a touch of nepotism thrown in:-) But what skilled boys they were!

Pippan wrote in post #19308181 (external link)
Many of Europe's cathedrals took between 150 and 600 years to build.

Amazing time scale, but our Henry VIII could get great big castles and fortifications built in the time scale of a couple of years. But I think it was mainly because Napoleon was applying the pressure rather than God.:-)
And SWMBO complains about the time it takes me to do a job around the house.-?

Ray-P

Jonzjob
in the land of Donald Duck
3,214 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Nov 17, 2021 02:50 |  #1383

I know that situation. When we were in our last English house it was a Cotswold stone cottage that was build in 1735 for farm workers. We had to get some stone work repairs done to the outside wall

The bloke who dod it was a really charming person and we became friends. He learned his trade on Gloucester Cathedral. His brother was still a stone mason there. His father and grandfather had also been apprenticed and worked all their lives there. Sort of a family thing.

A wonderful trade!

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 17, 2021 02:58 |  #1384

Sherston Parish church, Wiltshire

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Spot Fat Albert's nose ;-)a

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
John.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2021 03:33 |  #1385

Jonzjob wrote in post #19308208 (external link)
Sherston Parish church, Wiltshire

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jonzjob in
./showthread.php?p=193​08208&i=i251546941
forum: Nature & Landscapes

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=193​08208&i=i91270018

Spot Fat Albert's nose ;-)a

Hi John, have you got any more pictures from the inside and outside? It seems that there is a connection with Italian POWs - unless I have googled the wrong church.

Who was Fat Albert?-?

Ray-P

chuckmiller
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 17, 2021 08:38 |  #1386

Amazing. I thought architecture this intricate ended centuries ago.

josrood wrote in post #19307582 (external link)
Gaudi's church in Barcelona stil under construction.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by josrood in
./showthread.php?p=193​07582&i=i258981637

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Jonzjob. (2 edits in all)

Nov 17, 2021 11:36 |  #1387

Ray.Petri wrote in post #19308213 (external link)
Hi John, have you got any more pictures from the inside and outside? It seems that there is a connection with Italian POWs - unless I have googled the wrong church.

Who was Fat Albert?-?

Not so much a who as a what Ray. A Fat Albert mate. This is hung in the church.

HOSTED PHOTO

Right hand side on the centre glazing bar is the Fat Albert nose.

I hadn't realised that about the Italians, but they donated a crucifix to the church in WW2. Next time we are in Sherston I'll see if I can find some gen in it?

John.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2021 12:36 |  #1388

Jonzjob wrote in post #19308331 (external link)
Not so much a who as a what Ray. A Fat Albert mate. This is hung in the church.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=193​08331&i=i255644114

Right hand side on the centre glazing bar is the Fat Albert nose.

I hadn't realised that about the Italians, but they donated a crucifix to the church in WW2. Next time we are in Sherston I'll see if I can find some gen in it?

OK, John. Now we are getting there.:-)
But you have now succeeded in raising more questions than answers for my ex-encyclopaedic mind to process.
What drew my attention was the squadron coats of arms on the front of the alter - I couldn't reference that in Google.
When was the picture painted? Was the plane some sort of Hercules type of thing - And, What are the wingless lumps in the sky behind the plane - are they UFOs? Had a practice bomb load just been dumped? Oh! and I just noticed - are those things under the plane floats or submarine detection devices?
As you are an aeronautical type, please excuse the ignorance of pongo.:-)

Ray-P

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Jonzjob.

Nov 18, 2021 03:00 |  #1389

Sherston Church

The other R.A.F. window

HOSTED PHOTO

Some of the R.A.F. flags

HOSTED PHOTO

Notice the bell pull ropes on the right. Hoicked up out of the way under the bell tower.

John.

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 18, 2021 04:11 |  #1390

Ray.Petri wrote in post #19308355 (external link)
OK, John. Now we are getting there.:-)
But you have now succeeded in raising more questions than answers for my ex-encyclopaedic mind to process.
What drew my attention was the squadron coats of arms on the front of the alter - I couldn't reference that in Google.
When was the picture painted? Was the plane some sort of Hercules type of thing - And, What are the wingless lumps in the sky behind the plane - are they UFOs? Had a practice bomb load just been dumped? Oh! and I just noticed - are those things under the plane floats or submarine detection devices?
As you are an aeronautical type, please excuse the ignorance of pongo.:-)

I will try to answer Ray

1st, no idea when it was painted?

The aircraft is a Herc, not sure what mark?

3rd, the UFOs are pallets and he/she is doing an ultra low level drop where the driver flies over the drop zone at almost zero feet the Load Master chucks, not literally, a drouge chute out of the back which pulls a big parachute out and the pallet load. That drops to the deck and skids to a halt, probably a resupply in a not very friendly place where it wouldn't be healthy to stop!

4th, no. At one stage at A&AEE Boscombe Down they were contemplating dropping a Land Rover, complete with crew :eek: but they found that about one in five flipped over on landing and thought the Pongos in it might get upset, so the idea was dropped, as it were.

5th, the things under the wings are fuel tanks. They were first used in the Falklands war. The Boscombe folks were asked by the R.A.F. folks if they could be fitted, along with in flight refuelling. After checking with our trans Atlantic cousins who make them if it was possible. They were told no it wasn't, so they did and it works. That made it possible for them to fly down to the Falklands or they would probably have had to refuel in Argentina and the Argentinians may well have complained?

Pongos ignorant? Well, the only flying machines they have are the ones with the wizzy-wizzy-weeeeeer things on the top, so :rolleyes:

John.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 19, 2021 02:07 |  #1391

Jonzjob wrote in post #19308595 (external link)
I will try to answer Ray

1st, no idea when it was painted?

The aircraft is a Herc, not sure what mark?

3rd, the UFOs are pallets and he/she is doing an ultra low level drop where the driver flies over the drop zone at almost zero feet the Load Master chucks, not literally, a drouge chute out of the back which pulls a big parachute out and the pallet load. That drops to the deck and skids to a halt, probably a resupply in a not very friendly place where it wouldn't be healthy to stop!

4th, no. At one stage at A&AEE Boscombe Down they were contemplating dropping a Land Rover, complete with crew :eek: but they found that about one in five flipped over on landing and thought the Pongos in it might get upset, so the idea was dropped, as it were.

5th, the things under the wings are fuel tanks. They were first used in the Falklands war. The Boscombe folks were asked by the R.A.F. folks if they could be fitted, along with in flight refuelling. After checking with our trans Atlantic cousins who make them if it was possible. They were told no it wasn't, so they did and it works. That made it possible for them to fly down to the Falklands or they would probably have had to refuel in Argentina and the Argentinians may well have complained?

Pongos ignorant? Well, the only flying machines they have are the ones with the wizzy-wizzy-weeeeeer things on the top, so :rolleyes:

Thanks for your research,John. Very interesting. Re the long range fuel tanks - if you want a job done, do it yourself :-). Bugger the idea of being dropped out of a Herc in a Land Rover. Count me out!
The story behind the picture falls into place with your explanation. You mention army pilots - did the army not use Austers during and after WWII?

Ray-P

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 19, 2021 05:20 |  #1392

Yes if I remember correctly, but they aren't trusted with fixed wing aircraft now :eek:

I nearly joined the Army Air Corps not long after I came out of the R.A.F., but decided to get a proper job and joined a small American firm you may have heard of, IBM.

John.

josrood
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Gallery: 1444 photos
Joined Jan 2021

Nov 21, 2021 11:35 |  #1393

Bernkastel Kues in Germany along the river Mosel

HOSTED PHOTO

Jonzjob
3,214 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 27, 2021 17:12 |  #1394

HOSTED PHOTO

This was the same type of 500kG bomb that dropped through the roof of Mosta Dome, Malta in WW2 when the church was full during a bomb attack. It was defined as a miracle. The coincidence was that there were hundreds of 'miracles' during the siege of Malta, but this one was the only one declaired by the church officials. The actual bomb that went through the roof was defused and dumped off of a cliff in the SW of the island along with the hundreds of others defused by the British bomb disposal teams. What a strange coincidence :rolleyes:

HOSTED PHOTO

If you look at 8 'o' clock and 4 squares out the repair to the roof can be seen.

Just as a matter of interest there were only a few bomb disposal teams in the siege of Malta and in those 3 years mlore bomb tonnage was dropped on the island than on london in the complete war. Only one man in the teams was killed and that was in a Bristol Beaufort torpedo attack on a German convoy.

John.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Ray.Petri. (3 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2021 00:54 |  #1395

Jonzjob wrote in post #19312017 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=193​12017&i=i68450548

Just as a matter of interest there were only a few bomb disposal teams in the siege of Malta and in those 3 years mlore bomb tonnage was dropped on the island than on london in the complete war. Only one man in the teams was killed and that was in a Bristol Beaufort torpedo attack on a German convoy.

John, I would dispute the tonnage of bombs dropped on Malta vs the London raids but it is quite possible - I suppose. Have you added the V1 and V2 flying bombs that landed on London and the South East?
As a result of the battering the island took at that time King George awarded the GC to the island. It then became 'Malta GC'.
https://en.m.wikipedia​.org …the_George_Cros​s_to_Malta (external link).

Here is my picture of the roof taken summer 1956.

True camera data - 35mm Zeiss Ikonta. FP3.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ray-P

sponsored links

398,644 views & 4,247 likes for this thread
Churches from all over the world...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.