Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

sparksdjs
697 posts
Gallery: 229 photos
Joined May 2001

Jul 20, 2022 08:30 |  #2776

markesc wrote in post #19406661 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=194​06661&i=i161094512
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=194​06661&i=i226702655

Great set of shots!

Canon 90D | 17-55 IS | 15-85 IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | | 1.4X TC | 35mm f/2 IS | 18-135 IS STM | 10-22mm | 10-18 IS STM | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | Canon G7X Mk II | Sigma AF 105 f/2.8 DG EX OS HSM Macro

sponsored links
markesc
Goldmember
4,665 posts
Gallery: 2019 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 20, 2022 11:13 |  #2777

It really is. I'm continually lost/amazed, almost "conspiracy theorist" about all those bad reviews - were they simply paid Canon insiders that wanted to push people to more expensive models? Like they owned the 70d-80d, were "experts / I know everything about everything" and then... dun dun d uuuuuuu n: Got the 90d and went from expert to Amoeba status? Maybe they got amnesia upon opening the box?!

Even Brian - on 'The Digital Picture' has clearly out of focus shots on his noise testing with the 90d. It took me a grand total of 15 seconds to dial in +2 for micro adjustment on my 100-400II. Done. Never looked back, never spent decades second guessing, I didn't need charts, I didn't have to get online and ask 552,000 questions, etc.... BOOM DONE movin on!

80d vs 90d:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com …4&TestComp=0&IS​OComp=1600 (external link)

90d vs R:

90d vs R5:

My personal fave as of late: The "R" ( $1599 on Amazon right now or somewhere else if you dislike Amazon for obvious reasons ) VS. the R5:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com …8&TestComp=0&IS​OComp=6400 (external link)

I picked ISO 6400 as - for Astro, that's about where you'd want to be - ISO 6400 F2.8 10-13 seconds at 15mm ( the "500 rule" in my opinion is far too deficient, so once you go longer than 15 seconds you have streaks instead of stars). Yes, the R5 is quantitatively "better" BUT - Is it $2300 "better" if you're doing boring/old fashion/slow moving landscape shots that will most likely NEVER be published by National Geographic, even though, everyone has this fantasy of getting that phone call: "We saw you're work, it's SO groundbreaking, we want to send you BILLIONS of dollars... NO, actually, we want to send you TRILLIONS of dollars!!..."  :p :p :p

Back to the 90d:

I have been noticing this going on for a while now: Every "new" thing that comes out = "better" I really take the youtubers with a grain of salt, and really, they're just now after views/subscribers rather than accurate dissemination of information. My fave youtubers are the ones that will actually take a more skeptical approach.

It's like this: Do you need a 750hp Porsche to sit in stop/go traffic to go to Costco?

For me: The only reason I got the R5 was solely for the Astro work, and trips back to AZ for birds/horses. Otherwise, if one is not doing any of those activities/subject matters - the 90d is fine, or heck, you can pickup the "R" for $1599 right now, and gain some efficiency that way.. :-D I like the idea of a cheaper camera that "annoys" the more expensive cameras.

Pippan wrote in post #19406724 (external link)
It's a truly great camera. So underestimated.

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,980 posts
Gallery: 678 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2022 12:51 |  #2778

I'm another happy 90D user. I use it mostly for macro and it is fantastic for that.

Canon R5 and R7, Canon 90D (being sold), assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,980 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2022 13:29 |  #2779

The croppability of the 90D is just amazing.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Archibald's gallery.

Here is the frame I cropped it from.

HOSTED PHOTO

gewb
895 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 20, 2022 14:12 |  #2780

Humming bird at Lear 'O the Bear park, July 19, 2022 (early morning). Out of camera and post processed pics.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

90D / 60D / Pro1 / A85

markesc
Goldmember
4,665 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 20, 2022 15:41 |  #2781

Yeah it's pretty wild huh!? Nice work!

Archibald wrote in post #19406862 (external link)
The croppability of the 90D is just amazing.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Here is the frame I cropped it from.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=194​06862&i=i16391239

markesc
Goldmember
4,665 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 20, 2022 15:43 |  #2782

2 more from last night...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mustache
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2022

Jul 20, 2022 16:09 |  #2783

Hello everyone, first time posting here. I just bought a 90d camera to replace my very old t2i and so far i love it but there's one thing I would appreciate if one of you could help me out with. It's probably a dumb question but when I shoot in live mode with mechanical shutter selected in the menu, the shutter doesn't engage in the same way as it did with the old t2i and or with the OVF, instead it makes like a quick rattling/rumbling noise, almost like a quick burst (it's in single shot mode). Is this normal behavior? Just feels wrong.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,980 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2022 17:32 |  #2784

mustache wrote in post #19406928 (external link)
Hello everyone, first time posting here. I just bought a 90d camera to replace my very old t2i and so far i love it but there's one thing I would appreciate if one of you could help me out with. It's probably a dumb question but when I shoot in live mode with mechanical shutter selected in the menu, the shutter doesn't engage in the same way as it did with the old t2i and or with the OVF, instead it makes like a quick rattling/rumbling noise, almost like a quick burst (it's in single shot mode). Is this normal behavior? Just feels wrong.

My 90D makes a slightly more complex click in live view mode. It sounds a bit like a double click but the difference is not very obvious. What shutter speed are you using?

mustache
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2022

Jul 20, 2022 19:21 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #2785

I tried it again using slower and faster shutter speeds and yes its sort of like a double click as you said and it varies according to the shutter speed. I suppose with certain shutter speeds it feels a bit more pronounced than others but it could just be that I'm getting used to it since it's new territory for me. Only thing I had to compare it to is some videos and obviously the sound is not the same plus the lack of haptic feedback. I'll get a better feeling for it once i've taken it for a ride and tried different lenses and settings. Thank you for the feedback!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,980 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2022 19:30 |  #2786

mustache wrote in post #19406987 (external link)
I tried it again using slower and faster shutter speeds and yes its sort of like a double click as you said and it varies according to the shutter speed. I suppose with certain shutter speeds it feels a bit more pronounced than others but it could just be that I'm getting used to it since it's new territory for me. Only thing I had to compare it to is some videos and obviously the sound is not the same plus the lack of haptic feedback. I'll get a better feeling for it once i've taken it for a ride and tried different lenses and settings. Thank you for the feedback!

Very good! I hope it is OK. The 90D is an amazing camera. Hope to see some of your shots here.

mustache
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2022

Jul 20, 2022 20:22 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #2787

I will try! Also, I want to get another battery but it looks like it's mostly third party batteries available atm. What's is the general recommendation here? Should I just wait and buy an original Canon one or is there a preferred brand of third-party batteries with a proven track record? Thanks again!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,980 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2022 20:48 |  #2788

mustache wrote in post #19407005 (external link)
I will try! Also, I want to get another battery but it looks like it's mostly third party batteries available atm. What's is the general recommendation here? Should I just wait and buy an original Canon one or is there a preferred brand of third-party batteries with a proven track record? Thanks again!

Up to you really. In my experience, the third party batteries don't work as well as the Canon ones, but they are WAY cheaper, so you get more charge for the dollar.

sparksdjs
697 posts
Gallery: 229 photos
Joined May 2001

Jul 21, 2022 04:43 |  #2789

mustache wrote in post #19407005 (external link)

I've used Wasabi brand batteries in my 90D and other Canon cameras for years now, no problems. I'd even say they've been as reliable as the OEM battery - and a heck of a lot cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com …t-Batteries/dp/B01M1LTEZ​U (external link)

Canon 90D | 17-55 IS | 15-85 IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | | 1.4X TC | 35mm f/2 IS | 18-135 IS STM | 10-22mm | 10-18 IS STM | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | Canon G7X Mk II | Sigma AF 105 f/2.8 DG EX OS HSM Macro

hobs1466
115 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Apr 2022

Jul 21, 2022 08:43 as a reply to  @ mustache's post |  #2790

I have two OEM batteries at the moment. I was going to try a third party, but a rep at B&H said you need to be very careful with them because they don't all work with newer cameras even if they say they do. The recommendation was that if I really wanted to go with a third party, Watson was a reliable choice. Search here and elsewhere on the web, opinions of third party batteries really seemed to be a mixed bag, so I just decided to bite the bullet and stick with OEM.

sponsored links

707,075 views & 8,166 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.