Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2022 (Tuesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

JackCharlton
206 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2022 13:31 as a reply to  @ post 19411300 |  #1891

Hi Pippan. Thanks for the info. I know with my old XS, I could just choose “use Raw as Original” and it worked. I will try downloading the lastest DPP and see if that works.

sponsored links
edmidlifecrisis
Cream of the Crop
5,029 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 01, 2022 14:34 |  #1892

JackCharlton wrote in post #19411324 (external link)
Hi Pippan. Thanks for the info. I know with my old XS, I could just choose “use Raw as Original” and it worked. I will try downloading the lastest DPP and see if that works.

I can't remember which camera it was but when I bought it PS and LR wouldn't read the files until an update, so I used Canon DPP to convert them to DNG's which Adobe could read. Is that still an option, this was a few years back....

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

JackCharlton
206 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2022 15:16 as a reply to  @ edmidlifecrisis's post |  #1893

l have downloaded the latest DPP but it still doesn't do anything. I have only ever used only the Photos app on my iMac to edit pictures. I can just take JPEGs for now until I can figure out why Photos won't let me process RAW pictures. I was hoping someone else has had the same experience. I don't know if I should be updating Software or Firmware

Taxboy
81 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2022 15:27 as a reply to  @ post 19410892 |  #1894

I've placed an order with my local London Camera Exchange - no date but said they're getting very little info from Canon but cameras are trickling through. Park estimated 2-4 months for an order placed now and WRX refused to estimate or even state the size of their waitlist citing it was commercially sensitive information !

I guess even Canon might have been taken aback a little by the denand

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,642 posts
Gallery: 648 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 01, 2022 16:12 |  #1895

AntonLargiader wrote in post #19411278 (external link)
So it sounds like DLA is a mathematical thing based on pixel density, when the diffraction blur becomes significant for a given pixel spacing. Which really plays into the whole pixel-peeping thing.

Seems to me people can be in two general camps when it comes to crop sensors and higher MP. If you want the extra MP to give you more reach through cropping, then you're kind of chasing your tail on IQ but yes, you are getting more reach but you're magnifying the diffraction in doing so. If you appreciate the extra MP because it gives you better resolution at your existing reach, then you're probably not going to care about DLA at all because the actual diffraction is no greater than it was before and you have better resolution on everything else.

The first camp sort of reminds me of taking pics of tiny distant birds that don't resolve well, then getting a bigger lens and using TCs so you can take pics of tinier and more distant birds that still don't resolve well. :)

"you're magnifying the diffraction" - we are magnifying all the faults in the image.

We have lots of experience with this, for instance with the 90D. We are not breaking new ground here.

When I do extreme crops on my 90D, then I get an unsatisfactory image quality, and some of that is probably due to diffraction.

Canon R5 and R7, Canon 90D (being sold), assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Dave63401
415 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 01, 2022 16:22 |  #1896

A Blue-fronted Dancer damselfly. EF 100 2.8L IS on R7

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52257166899_368279c466_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2nBM​D7c  (external link) DR7C2695-Edit Blue-fronted dancer damselfly_ (external link) by David Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/dj63401/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,642 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 01, 2022 16:55 |  #1897

Pippan wrote in post #19411318 (external link)
This discussion about diffraction reminded me of a blog post written in 2013 by Roger Cicala of Lensrentals. Roger is one of the very few people in the world to have access to advanced image quality testing equipment for cameras and lenses (as well as access to a huge number and variety of them). He tested various lenses for sharpness at various apertures and found that diffraction had much less effect than he'd imagined. While sharpness did fall off at higher f-ratios (like 16 and 22), even at those apertures it was still way better than with the same lenses shot at wide open apertures. He also found that higher f-ratio images could be sharpened up in Photoshop more effectively than wide open images. The blog post is here: https://www.lensrental​s.com …rcoming-my-fentekaphobia/ (external link).

That is a great article from a knowledgeable and respected source. Worth reading for those who have diffractionphobia.

Pippan
Cream of the Crop
5,526 posts
Gallery: 770 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 01, 2022 16:56 |  #1898

JackCharlton wrote in post #19411348 (external link)
l have downloaded the latest DPP but it still doesn't do anything. I have only ever used only the Photos app on my iMac to edit pictures. I can just take JPEGs for now until I can figure out why Photos won't let me process RAW pictures. I was hoping someone else has had the same experience. I don't know if I should be updating Software or Firmware

Hi Jack, are you sure you've downloaded the latest version of DPP? I ask because it opens my R7 raws and craws very nicely.

Still waiting for the wisdom they promised would be worth getting old for.

JackCharlton
206 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2022 17:22 as a reply to  @ Pippan's post |  #1899

Pretty sure it is the latest version. DPP 4- 4.16.10.0. I will have to keep trying with DPP. Now I am having trouble getting pictures into DPP so I can play around with them. I am no that tech savvy so I need a lot of trial and error to figure stuff like this out. I also think if I take a RAW-JPEG photo not a RAW or C-RAW only picture then Photos may let me process it. Trying this now. Thank You all for your attempt to help me with this.

Pippan
Cream of the Crop
5,526 posts
Gallery: 770 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 2 months ago by Pippan.

Aug 01, 2022 17:34 |  #1900

JackCharlton wrote in post #19411384 (external link)
Pretty sure it is the latest version. DPP 4- 4.16.10.0. I will have to keep trying with DPP. Now I am having trouble getting pictures into DPP so I can play around with them. I am no that tech savvy so I need a lot of trial and error to figure stuff like this out. I also think if I take a RAW-JPEG photo not a RAW or C-RAW only picture then Photos may let me process it. Trying this now. Thank You all for your attempt to help me with this.

Yes that's the version I'm using. I don't normally use it so I'm far from expert (though I have to say it produces a very nice image, I may keep using it). If you have a blank grey screen, try View>Return to Main Window. That should bring up a screen with a navigation pane on the left, double-clicking on a folder should bring up a grid of thumbnails of images from that folder, and double-clicking on an image should open up a big version of the image. If the editing pane is not open, try View>Open Edit Window and editing controls should appear on the right hand side. I don't know how you'd then get it into Photos but you can edit it in DPP and/or hit Tools>Transfer to Photoshop, which will open it as a tiff in Photoshop. I haven't yet worked out how to check whether the tiff is 8-bit or 16-bit. Maybe someone can advise me about that.

Still waiting for the wisdom they promised would be worth getting old for.

JackCharlton
206 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2022 17:38 as a reply to  @ Pippan's post |  #1901

Thanks. I’ll figure it out, just might take awhile. I’m retired so time is not money. LOL

duckster
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined May 2017

Aug 01, 2022 18:55 |  #1902

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #19411369 (external link)
As far as I know Photos hasn’t been updated to include R7 raw files yet. What you can do is convert the RAW files to DNG with Adobe’s DNG converter. I’m not sure if Photos can work with them, but the converter is free so worth a try. Here’s a link: https://helpx.adobe.co​m …/adobe-dng-converter.html (external link)

I’m not sure why DPP won’t open the files though.

That is what I had to do initially until they added the R6

edmidlifecrisis
Cream of the Crop
5,029 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 01, 2022 20:29 |  #1903

Canon direct USA is showing the R7 with kit lens in stock yesterday and today. The body only is on backorder.

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,394 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 01, 2022 20:46 |  #1904

Archibald wrote in post #19411364 (external link)
"you're magnifying the diffraction" - we are magnifying all the faults in the image.

We have lots of experience with this, for instance with the 90D. We are not breaking new ground here.

When I do extreme crops on my 90D, then I get an unsatisfactory image quality, and some of that is probably due to diffraction.

What is the metric of cropping, though?

A sensor area X by Y millimeters? 2 final MP of original pixels after cropping?

I would say that the 32.5MP APS-C sensors are the best for the former, and the worst for the latter, out of all recent Canon APS-C and FF sensors (assuming the same optics are used).

Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,642 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Archibald.

Aug 01, 2022 21:45 |  #1905

John Sheehy wrote in post #19411436 (external link)
What is the metric of cropping, though?

A sensor area X by Y millimeters? 2 final MP of original pixels after cropping?

I would say that the 32.5MP APS-C sensors are the best for the former, and the worst for the latter, out of all recent Canon APS-C and FF sensors (assuming the same optics are used).

I do some crazy crops with the 90D. I don't claim they are all successful. Below is an ant, cropped to 798x568 px, which is a bit less than half a megapixel out of the 32.5. That's about one and a half percent of the sensor. There is probably diffraction present, but with the flare from the flower, noise, and probable focus inaccuracy, it is hard to know what is what. Processed in LR with the usual controls.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

162,019 views & 6,852 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.