Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2022 (Tuesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Beware the title fairies!
1,109 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 02, 2022 20:24 |  #2416

Jeff USN Photog 72-76 wrote in post #19421716 (external link)
One thing I did that I am glad I did is to get the RF100-400 to compliment the EF 100-400Lii. I use the RF when I will be walking a bit or sitting there with the camera to my eye to get a shot the EF gets heavy fast but is slightly better on IQ

Jeff, have you done any birding with the RF 100-400? How is the focusing and tracking speed and accuracy compared to the EF 100-400L II? I realize they're very different classes of lens, but I'm curious since the RF is a USM so i'd expect it to be pretty fast.

Canon EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), and Sony α6400
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas and Sonys
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
13,990 posts
Gallery: 678 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 02, 2022 22:10 |  #2417

Woolcarder Bee, probably Anthidium oblongatum. Taken with the RF100L which is not in the system yet. It's been 10 days with the R7 and I'm embarrassed to say I'm still below 1000 shots. :oops:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Archibald's gallery.

Canon R5 and R7, Canon 90D (being sold), assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Ray.Petri
I’m full of useless facts
5,585 posts
Gallery: 2487 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 03, 2022 00:04 |  #2418

Mike-P wrote in post #19421662 (external link)
Here in the UK I have been waiting over 3 months to "pick up" an R7 ..... tbh I'm losing interest fast.

VSS2011 wrote in post #19421665 (external link)
Mike, I'm also in the UK and I ordered mine on 6th June. Still no signs, but patiently waiting...for how long though?

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19421687 (external link)
Since 30th of May for me, Canon have massively dropped the ball on this.

Other pre-orderes in the past arrived on time, I must say after this I will not bother with pre orders of Canon kit, they clearly can't manage their supply chain.

If they think they are creating interest with short suppling the market I suspect it is having the opposite effect.

Looking at Park Cameras web no date on the R7 but the R5 and R6 are out of stock with a next delivery date of 17/09. That is presumably the next Canon delivery....

mcoren wrote in post #19421840 (external link)
I can understand Canon tilting deliveries toward the higher margin lens kits for the first week or two, but it seems unconscionable to me that 2-1/2 months after first shipments, shops either have the lens kits in stock or are getting regular shipments (at least in the US), but early body-only orders are still waiting.

Join the ’Me Too’ club - I have been waiting since early June - latest excuse seems to be the strikes in the docks?

Ray-P

Lester ­ Wareham
31,046 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 03, 2022 02:17 |  #2419

mcoren wrote in post #19421840 (external link)
I can understand Canon tilting deliveries toward the higher margin lens kits for the first week or two, but it seems unconscionable to me that 2-1/2 months after first shipments, shops either have the lens kits in stock or are getting regular shipments (at least in the US), but early body-only orders are still waiting.

The kit seems to be out of stock also in the UK, can't tell if there are more of those flowing through.

The R10 body and kit is in stock - no surprise.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Jeff ­ USN ­ Photog ­ 72-76
I can't believe I miss-typed
2,536 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 03, 2022 05:47 |  #2420

mcoren wrote in post #19421843 (external link)
Jeff, have you done any birding with the RF 100-400? How is the focusing and tracking speed and accuracy compared to the EF 100-400L II? I realize they're very different classes of lens, but I'm curious since the RF is a USM so i'd expect it to be pretty fast.

I have used it for BIF several times, like the weight when I am hand holding (all the time) and holding on a heron waiting for it to move for 20 minutes or more.

I really haven't noticed any difference between the AF in the EF Lii and RF 100-400 it locks on very fast and tracks well. Also the IQ is virtually the same.

I haven't done any side by side testing just real world use.

here are 2 shots from the other day

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it is not logical but it is true" Commander Spock
"Free advice is seldom cheap" Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
I might not always be right, but I am never wrong! Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken!

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,109 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 03, 2022 06:42 |  #2421

Jeff USN Photog 72-76 wrote in post #19421967 (external link)
I have used it for BIF several times, like the weight when I am hand holding (all the time) and holding on a heron waiting for it to move for 20 minutes or more.

I really haven't noticed any difference between the AF in the EF Lii and RF 100-400 it locks on very fast and tracks well. Also the IQ is virtually the same.

I haven't done any side by side testing just real world use.

here are 2 shots from the other day

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jeff USN Photog 72-76 in
./showthread.php?p=194​21967&i=i100311443
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=194​21967&i=i221637200

Thanks Jeff, I enjoy seeing all of the incredible pics you post, and I appreciate your impressions of this lens.

I have an EF Sigma 100-400 that I use at air shows, so the "birds" I'm following are larger and their flight paths are more predictable. The lighter weight and native RF mount of the Canon 100-400 appeal to me, and the max f/8 doesn't bother me. I'd love to get the RF 100-500L eventually, but I have two kids in college so it will be a while before I can seriously consider that. Plus the RF 100-400 is on sale right now.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,459 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 03, 2022 07:10 |  #2422

downhillonwater wrote in post #19421691 (external link)
That is true, but isn't it fair to say that's true for every camera... fast, high quality glass is better?

Because it's a 1.6x crop sensor this camera receives 39% of the light that a full frame sensor does. Assuming equal sensitivity that's about one and one third stops difference. In my experience, this plays out in the field. The R7 requires about one and one third stops higher ISO than the R5 for the same aperture and shutter speed.

Is that a typo? The same f-number and shutter speed should result in the same ISO and does result in the same exposure. The same ISO is what gives 39% as much light as an entire FF sensor. 2.56x the ISO on top of that would mean 15.26% the total light.

As always and particularly in challenging shooting conditions we balance camera settings to achieve a great image. The R7 brings us great reach and that is balanced by reduced light collection.

Well, if you did a well-controlled comparison of the R7 to a the R5 in crop mode, and processed not to emphasize the extra pixel-level detail on the R7, I think you'd find that the R7 not only has almost 2x as many pixels on-subject, but has less noise, too. The R5 has a fine horizontal banding noise that isn't too ugly like the broad banding of some older cameras which survived downsampling, but which is visible in deep shadows and tends to make the chromatic noise a little blotchier. The size of chromatic blotches in near-blacks, red noise in shade, and blue noise in incandescent light, is larger on the R5 and litters those near-blacks more.

So, which sensor gives you less noise is going to depend on lens usage and subject matter. To really get less noise with the R5, you need to use a larger sensor area than crop mode and use a lens that delivers more total light in the sensor area used in the final product. For some people, that is possible with most of what they shoot; for the focal-length-limited photographer, the R5 gives is a wider angle of view if crop mode isn't used, which may help in tracking active subjects whose changes in direction is large compared to their body size, like dragonflies, butterflies, swallows, etc.. In any situation where you could use crop mode on the R5, however, the R7 will actually have slightly less noise with the same exposure (an exception could occur with extremely fast lenses, where the R5 might become more efficient with the extra light from the outer pupil), but for focal-length-limited photography, lenses are generally at least f/2.8 or slower.

The AF sensitivity for large changes in focus distance in low light, however, is clearly better on the R5 with the same glass, so you do get something in return for the lower number of pixels-on-subject. Put a 1.4x on the R5 to catch up on pixels-on-subject, though, and that 1-stop AF benefit is gone. I do notice more hunting with the R7 in very poor light than the R5, with the same optics. With a 400/4 and a 2xTC, when I want 800mm, the problem is easily solved by not using the TC or using a 1.4x on the R7, but when I choose the much lighter RF800/11, AF is already a little slower than 800/8 in low light, and there's no TC to remove, to help the AF. The RF800/11 will also force me to back up away from a subject more, too, which causes extra subject noise just because of the distance, and even more noise if you need to raise the shutter speed because of the increased distance.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,459 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 03, 2022 07:22 |  #2423

mcoren wrote in post #19421989 (external link)
Thanks Jeff, I enjoy seeing all of the incredible pics you post, and I appreciate your impressions of this lens.

I have an EF Sigma 100-400 that I use at air shows, so the "birds" I'm following are larger and their flight paths are more predictable. The lighter weight and native RF mount of the Canon 100-400 appeal to me, and the max f/8 doesn't bother me. I'd love to get the RF 100-500L eventually, but I have two kids in college so it will be a while before I can seriously consider that. Plus the RF 100-400 is on sale right now.

The Sigma is a little "faster" of course, and has some programmability that the Canon lenses don't have, but the RF100-400/5.6-8 clearly AFes faster in most light, and the IS is more solid.

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,109 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 03, 2022 07:58 |  #2424

John Sheehy wrote in post #19421997 (external link)
The Sigma is a little "faster" of course, and has some programmability that the Canon lenses don't have, but the RF100-400/5.6-8 clearly AFes faster in most light, and the IS is more solid.

Thanks John. The Sigma is only optically "faster" by 2/3 of a stop, which for my needs isn't a concern since I'm usually using it in daylight and I generally stop down to f/8-11 anyway (I grew up in the days of "f/8 and be there" so I'm averse to shooting with any lens wide open. Irrational, I know, but old habits die hard!).

I have the Sigma dock but I never used the programmability of the lens, just firmware updates. Maybe others can correct my perception, but I feel the fine focus/AFMA on a lens like this is more of a gimmick than a useful feature. When shooting at 400mm, f/5.6 or slower, and 200+ feet away, your DOF is measured in tens of feet rather than inches. OTOH, I can definitely see the utility for a fast 35 or 50mm lens at 5-10 feet.

As far as the AF being faster and the IS being more solid, do you say that because there's a side-by-side comparison somewhere that made that conclusion? Or is that assumed because it's a true native RF lens (AF) and the IS works with the IBIS on the R5/R6/R7?

2,536 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 03, 2022 08:23 |  #2425

mcoren wrote in post #19421989 (external link)

I put 3 through college and one through law school, the middle guy is still going to college, a pro student...

and now I am on social security, I would also love the 100-500 but too much money for the extra I would get over my 100-400Lii and I still have the 90D and 5DIV that I use it on

"sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it is not logical but it is true" Commander Spock
I might not always be right, but I am never wrong! Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken!

edmidlifecrisis
Cream of the Crop
5,121 posts
Gallery: 288 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 03, 2022 08:57 |  #2426

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19421942 (external link)
The kit seems to be out of stock also in the UK, can't tell if there are more of those flowing through.

The kits are showing as in stock at B&H and the Canon store here in the US. No luck on bodies only.....

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

VSS2011
Goldmember
2,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 03, 2022 13:21 |  #2427

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19421942 (external link)

I'll just hang in for the long game and make use of my 90D until the R7 arrives.

I have an amazing sense of patience!

Age is a state of mind, and I don't.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,459 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 03, 2022 14:31 |  #2428

mcoren wrote in post #19422008 (external link)
Thanks John. The Sigma is only optically "faster" by 2/3 of a stop, which for my needs isn't a concern since I'm usually using it in daylight and I generally stop down to f/8-11 anyway (I grew up in the days of "f/8 and be there" so I'm averse to shooting with any lens wide open. Irrational, I know, but old habits die hard!).

I have the Sigma dock but I never used the programmability of the lens, just firmware updates. Maybe others can correct my perception, but I feel the fine focus/AFMA on a lens like this is more of a gimmick than a useful feature. When shooting at 400mm, f/5.6 or slower, and 200+ feet away, your DOF is measured in tens of feet rather than inches. OTOH, I can definitely see the utility for a fast 35 or 50mm lens at 5-10 feet.

As far as the AF being faster and the IS being more solid, do you say that because there's a side-by-side comparison somewhere that made that conclusion? Or is that assumed because it's a true native RF lens (AF) and the IS works with the IBIS on the R5/R6/R7?

Mainly the sum of my experience, but that experience includes extremes, like 400 x2 (2x TC) which has very pronounced differences.

2,536 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 03, 2022 16:16 |  #2429

Canon R7

HOSTED PHOTO

Radha-krishna
30 posts
Joined Jun 2022

Sep 03, 2022 17:31 |  #2430

Jeff USN Photog 72-76 wrote in post #19422147 (external link)
Canon R7

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=194​22147&i=i53082052

great shot - which set of eyes did the autofocus focus on ? real or reflection !!!!!!

sponsored links

257,122 views & 8,489 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.