Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Sep 2022 (Thursday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Useage charge

duckster
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined May 2017

Sep 22, 2022 15:06 |  #1

Question here, I was contacted by my SmugMug service as a sports equipment company had reached out to ask them about using one of my photos for the cover of their 2023 catalog.

I have no idea how to price something like that as I am just a hobbyist photographer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
18,088 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 22, 2022 15:14 |  #2

duckster wrote in post #19427922 (external link)
Question here, I was contacted by my SmugMug service as a sports equipment company had reached out to ask them about using one of my photos for the cover of their 2023 catalog.

I have no idea how to price something like that as I am just a hobbyist photographer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are lots of threads about pricing, and most of them won't answer it directly :)

I suppose you could make any deal like exchange photos for their sports gear, access passes for some sport events they attend etc., instead of straight cash deal.

Inportant thing is to make a written contract (email and reply) how they can use the photos, where and how long.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Joined May 2017

Sep 22, 2022 15:16 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #3

Thank you.

Completely uncharted waters for me. I will try to do some more searching for threads.

I would guess the usage is for a year, given it is a product catalog

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,703 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2022 15:28 |  #4

I think the reason you will not get a straight answer is because there are many variables that will affect the price. How big is the company, a startup with very limited funds or someone like Nike who pay millions for a add campaign. Or how wide the distribution, global? National? Someone selling stuff out of their home? It might be beneficial to take a look at the company asking, do a bit of background checking and base your offer on that. Or maybe ask what they are offering. If it's good, take it, if it's low, counter with something your comfortable with.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Joined May 2017
Post edited 5 days ago by duckster.

Sep 22, 2022 16:10 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #5

Thanks. It is company based locally that sell outdoor sports equipment for T&F also some basketball and volleyball stuff. Looks like they do about $5 million in sales annually

Pekka
El General Moderator
18,088 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 23, 2022 13:47 |  #6

duckster wrote in post #19427932 (external link)
Thanks. It is company based locally that sell outdoor sports equipment for T&F also some basketball and volleyball stuff. Looks like they do about $5 million in sales annually

"I charge only 0.01% of your annual sales" :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

drsilver
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Gallery: 693 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 23, 2022 14:02 |  #7

Pekka wrote in post #19428168 (external link)
"I charge only 0.01% of your annual sales" :)

That's funny, but it's not a bad way to think. Maybe ask them straight out, what's your budget for this project and how would my picture fit in?

Flickr (external link) : Instagram (web)] (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,703 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2022 14:12 |  #8

I was kind of thinking about this and have re-thought my original suggestion. Asking any potential client about how much they are offering or what their budget is is a sign of an amateur in both business and photography. I'm thinking your way better off telling them straight out what your price is. Maybe offer three tiers:
1. limited use, you retain rights to sell to others. (cheapest)
2. exclusive use (for some period of time, say a year where you will not sell the image to anyone else and priced more expensive
3. full ownership, sell them the rights to the image outright. (most expensive)

Then come up with what your willing to sell it to them and go with it. If they counter, you can evaluate the offer and proceed appropriately.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,199 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 23, 2022 14:43 |  #9

Do your research around product photography and going rates. This image is very similar to the idea of supplying product photographs IMO with maybe a small upcharge.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 26, 2022 11:51 |  #10

Only once in my 28 year career have I asked what their budget was. Last month, I received an email from a large local Ad Agency about a project and was told about the concept, a few examples, licensing and deliverables. I wasn't going to jump in and quote a rate without the Client, usage and other details. They responded with an impressive budget but didn't tell me the name of the client or Industry. I offered to shoot the job and only deliver RAW files since the Agency has in house editors but the client decided to shoot video only and do photography at a later date. I ultimately figured out who the client was, a Regional Healthcare Corporation so I think that the job was lowballed value wise.

The lesson, get all the information necessary to confidently quote a rate or you'll leave money on the table. If you don't have the information, you will either quote too high or not feel like a valued part of a project.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

sponsored links

189 views & 5 likes for this thread
Useage charge
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.