Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2022 (Tuesday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Gallery: 685 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Archibald.

Nov 13, 2022 07:39 |  #3346

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19446072 (external link)
Reading last night MS was recommended for flash, EFC was not.

Are you using EFC with flash Archibald?

Yes. It syncs at 1/320 s, which helps to suppress ambient light and reduces ghosting when shooting bugs in sunlight.

Canon R5 and R7, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX100, Pentax Spotmatic F
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to Davide of MIMIC (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 13, 2022 08:05 |  #3347

John Sheehy wrote in post #19446117 (external link)
Better bokeh only in the corner cases of very fast lenses combined with very fast shutter speeds, like shooting in sunlight at f/1.4. Then, you can get bokeh balls that are clipped at a horizontal line, like a rising moon that has 3/4 of its height above the horizon, and 1/4 still below it.

Right, thanks. I remember now.

I read about shutters when I first got the camera and compared the different methods. There are pros and cons to all of them. MS wears out the shutter - but how likely is this to happen to me? Very unlikely. But it's noisy and there is shutter shock. ES is speedy but gives rolling shutter, an unfortunate combination. I don't need silence and I don't need the extreme frames per sec. EFC eliminates shutter shock. But wait - it can shock the next pic. But I never shoot at conditions where this would be an issue. Similar with the bokeh balls.

Summary - for me, shoot EFC. Review if things change or I start noticing issues in my photos.

Now forget all those details, and make room in my mind for new things to remember.

Mike-P
369 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 13, 2022 08:08 |  #3348

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52495273938_c2c4202fb0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …2495273938/in/p​hotostream  (external link)
Swan in black (external link)] by Mike.Pursey on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52495003554_1ed5d041a8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …495003554/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)
Egret (external link)] by Mike.Pursey on Flickr

Lester ­ Wareham
31,522 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 13, 2022 09:57 |  #3349

OK some feedback on the "action list" from Levina and Archibald :-). I would appreciate your feedback on the below:

1. Double check EVF is on smooth: Yes it was.
2. Try EFCS: Did a panning test in the back garden, NB this was very different to trying to track a bird with MS/HSCS so the conclusions validity is only tentative.

a) MS/LSCS was better than MS/HSCS.
b) MS/LSCS seemed similar to EFCS/HSCS.
c) I was surprised how much worse the EVF user experience was with EFCS/HSCS compared to ES/HSCS.
d) Foolishly did not try EFCS/LSCS to see if this was better. (Justification- better half wanted lunch! :lol:).
Levina and Archibald:

i) Are you using the EFCS with HSCS+, HSCS or LSCS?
ii) How do you find the difference between EFCS with HSCS or LSCS?

3. Review of hawk center shots from yesterday. Still ongoing, no images processed yet. ES shots with panning:

a) RS did not cause obvious distortions of bird wings, but these were large birds with relatively slowly moving wings.
b) RS was obvious when a rectangular man-made objects were in the background, as expected. However I would probably discard these for aesthetic reasons anyway.
c) RS was detectable with some natural things like tree truncks but less disturbing. Could possibly recover with some PP tilt but obviously not ideal

Thanks Lester.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 13, 2022 10:49 |  #3350

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19446184 (external link)
OK some feedback on the "action list" from Levina and Archibald :-). I would appreciate your feedback on the below:

2. Try EFCS: Did a panning test in the back garden, NB this was very different to trying to track a bird with MS/HSCS so the conclusions validity is only tentative.

c) I was surprised how much worse the EVF user experience was with EFCS/HSCS compared to ES/HSCS.
d) Foolishly did not try EFCS/LSCS to see if this was better. (Justification- better half wanted lunch! :lol:).
Levina and Archibald:

3. Review of hawk center shots from yesterday. Still ongoing, no images processed yet. ES shots with panning:

a) RS did not cause obvious distortions of bird wings, but these were large birds with relatively slowly moving wings.
b) RS was obvious when a rectangular man-made objects were in the background, as expected. However I would probably discard these for aesthetic reasons anyway.
c) RS was detectable with some natural things like tree truncks but less disturbing. Could possibly recover with some PP tilt but obviously not ideal

Thanks Lester.

Lol, it's not simple, is it?

I'm currently in first curtain and high speed continuous but not high speed+. Not sure if I used HS+ in the past. I don't have much to say about BIF shooting because I have difficulty with it. The user is the weak link in the chain. I have only recently got the 100-500mm. It is obviously a much better tool for BIF (than the 800/11) but I need more experience with it. Still, I'm getting keepers with the rig and am pleased with it.

Most of my experience with the R7 has been shooting bugs. For macro I was generally single shooting with flash at 1/320. The R7 was a replacement for my 90D and together with the impressive RF100mm has worked very well for that. I haven't settled on optimal settings yet for birds.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Bug Magnet
21,691 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2022 11:40 |  #3351

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19446184 (external link)

Levina and Archibald:

Thanks Lester.

Lester, I have never shot with EFCS so I’m afraid I can’t compare. I will test it out with my R6 tomorrow and report back.

I’m surprised that you found MS with H better than MS with H+. I would think the faster the fps, the shorter the blackout, the smoother the EVF. I am always in H+ when in MS. I will test out MS with just H tomorrow too.

I thought of another setting you might try and that is High-Speed Display, in shooting menu #8. It’s only available when shooting in H, in other drive modes it is greyed out. It’s also not available in ES. IIRC it doubles the frequency of the EVF, making it look smoother when tracking fast moving objects. I shoot either in ES or in MS with H+, both settings where it’s not available and I don’t think it does much anyway. But you never know, can’t hurt to try.

Wild Birds of Europe: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=19371752
Please QUOTE the comment to which you are responding!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 13, 2022 12:03 |  #3352

Hooded Merganser.

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/11/2/LQ_1185400.jpg
Photo from Archibald's gallery.
Image hosted by forum (1185400)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 13, 2022 12:27 |  #3353

Red Squirrel munching on something - pine cone I guess.

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/hostedphotos_lq/2022/11/2/LQ_1185416.jpg
Image hosted by forum (1185416)
© Archibald
THIS IS A LOW QUALITY PREVIEW. Please log in to see the good quality stuff.

Lester ­ Wareham
31,522 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 13, 2022 12:52 |  #3354

Archibald wrote in post #19446198 (external link)
Lol, it's not simple, is it?

I'm currently in first curtain and high speed continuous but not high speed+. Not sure if I used HS+ in the past. I don't have much to say about BIF shooting because I have difficulty with it. The user is the weak link in the chain. I have only recently got the 100-500mm. It is obviously a much better tool for BIF (than the 800/11) but I need more experience with it. Still, I'm getting keepers with the rig and am pleased with it.

Most of my experience with the R7 has been shooting bugs. For macro I was generally single shooting with flash at 1/320. The R7 was a replacement for my 90D and together with the impressive RF100mm has worked very well for that. I haven't settled on optimal settings yet for birds.

You might want to give ES a go for BIF, I think unless it is a small bird flapping it wings fast or quick panning with upright linear features it will be a lot easier.

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
31,522 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Lester Wareham. (2 edits in all)

Nov 13, 2022 13:06 |  #3355

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #19446216 (external link)
I’m surprised that you found MS with H better than MS with H+. I would think the faster the fps, the shorter the blackout, the smoother the EVF. I am always in H+ when in MS. I will test out MS with just H tomorrow too. ...

I think all the abreviations cause confussion. It seemed that EFCS HSCS gave the same sort of EVF experience as MS LSCS, I have never used HSCS+, except trying burst mode.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #19446216 (external link)
I thought of another setting you might try and that is High-Speed Display, in shooting menu #8. It’s only available when shooting in H, in other drive modes it is greyed out. It’s also not available in ES. IIRC it doubles the frequency of the EVF, making it look smoother when tracking fast moving objects. I shoot either in ES or in MS with H+, both settings where it’s not available and I don’t think it does much anyway. But you never know, can’t hurt to try.

Thanks I will check that out.

Edit: do you mean suppress lower frame rate? That seems to be to do with low light.

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
31,522 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 13, 2022 13:07 |  #3356

Archibald wrote in post #19446223 (external link)
Hooded Merganser.

Excellent reflection.

Gear List

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
4,510 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2022 13:08 |  #3357

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19446236 (external link)
You might want to give ES a go for BIF, I think unless it is a small bird flapping it wings fast or quick panning with upright linear features it will be a lot easier.

You also have to consider how large the wing strokes are in the frame, too, as rolling shutter distortion only comes from speed of motion on the sensor, not the actual speed of the object.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
14,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 13, 2022 13:14 |  #3358

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. The rolling shutter effect might be small in many situations of interest. Another option is to try it with the R5.

It's mid November now and cold, so BIF opportunities are limited.

John Sheehy wrote in post #19446241 (external link)
You also have to consider how large the wing strokes are in the frame, too, as rolling shutter distortion only comes from speed of motion on the sensor, not the actual speed of the object.

True, but most of my BIF opportunities are surprises, no chance to estimate anything, so one goes with whatever the camera is set for. One sets the camera for what seemed to have worked before or for what somebody online said.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Bug Magnet
21,691 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2022 13:46 |  #3359

Lester Wareham wrote in post #19446239 (external link)
I think all the abreviations cause confussion. It seemed that EFCS HSCS gave the same sort of EVF experience as MS LSCS, I have never used HSCS+, except trying burst mode.

Thanks I will check that out.

Edit: do you mean suppress lower frame rate? That seems to be to do with low light.

No, as far as I know High-Speed Display increases the refresh rate of the EVF itself so it only has an affect on how what you shoot is displayed in the EVF but it doesn't affect your images at all, or exposure etc.

I also seemed to remember that it's on by default when shooting in ES and I looked that up and yes, it's on automatically in ES mode. That's maybe also the reason why the EVF is smoother in ES mode. Whether it does something in H mode, I have no idea.

As to the abbreviations. I had to think real hard what HSCS and LSCS stood for. I just use letters that sort of resemble the icons: H+, H, L, S (with L for Low-speed continuous shooting and S for Single shooting). :-P

Wild Birds of Europe: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=19371752

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Bug Magnet
21,691 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2022 13:50 |  #3360

Agreed. With slow flyers I hardly ever see a rolling shutter effect on the bird itself with the R6 and I don't think I saw any with the R7 in the ten days I shot with it. But this summer I was shooting swifts at high shutter speeds (!) with the R6 and when the bird was in a certain position its edges were zig-zagged. Just little tiny spikes all along the edge of the bird. Pretty weird.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

319,998 views & 10,188 likes for this thread, 111 members have posted to it and it is followed by 87 members.
-= Canon EOS R7 owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.