Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 04 Sep 2006 (Monday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bokeh? your thoughts please....

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 04, 2006 11:13 |  #1

Hi,

I'm not sure what forum this should be posted in, its not a motorsport post however the picture is of a car.

I took this picture of my car while it was parked in our carpark, the lens is a Canon 24-105 the zoom was set to 105mm and the F stop was F4 and shutter 1/50th. What struck me was the dreamy background, this is usually refered to as Bokeh, BUT the thing is I've never seen anything like it on this or any other of my lenses before, I promise you this is not photoshopped in any way.

Your thoughts please.

PS - The transportation forum would have been better, cant work out how to or if its even possible to move it?!?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 04, 2006 11:25 |  #2

First Welcome to POTN Ross.
That is a very interesting shot. I would not have expected this either. Thanks for sharing.

*One of the mods will have to move it to Transportation for you which they probably will.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

cbock
918 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 04, 2006 13:58 |  #3

neat concept. i think it's a bit busy with the reflections of the paint.

Body: 1DIIn
Canon Glass: 16 - 35 II F2.8L | 24 - 70 F2.8L | 50 II F1.8 | 70 - 200 F2.8L IS | 300 F4L IS
Sigma Glass: 24-60 F2.8 EX DG | 70-200 F2.8 EX DG HSM APO | 30 F1.4 EX DC HSM
Other Stuff: Canon 580 EX II | Vivitar 285HV | Manfrotto 679B & 488RC0 | StarFlash 650 & 300

asylumxl
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 04, 2006 16:17 |  #4

yeh i agree, to busy, but keep at it :D!

I M A G E I N A T I O N
..........WEBSITE (external link)
Pixel peeping is like count the sides of a circle, pointless.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,362 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 04, 2006 19:28 as a reply to  @ asylumxl's post |  #5

I'm guessing the reflections are from the sunlight shining through some tree leaves.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 05, 2006 02:01 as a reply to  @ Eagle's post |  #6

It was a nice thought, But I recon your right! there was a tree half covering the car. Nice work chaps:)

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

MitsuJDM
567 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 05, 2006 10:47 |  #7

CPL and a small apature and it would be perfect :) I'd like to see most of the emblem in focus and then have it fade out into blur. Instead of F/4 you could try F/8.0? You'll still get some blur, but you'll get more than just the "R" in foucs.

350D+grip+lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 05, 2006 15:18 as a reply to  @ MitsuJDM's post |  #8

I guess it comes down to personnel taste, I quite like the out of focus badge. My intention with this post was more an explaination as to the almost dreamy like area which I feel has been explained.

Critique is always welcome though.

Thanks

MitsuJDM
567 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 05, 2006 15:24 |  #9

The bokeh is nice, I was just saying, more of the emblem in focu would be nice, not EVERYthing in focus :)

350D+grip+lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 06, 2006 08:39 |  #10

That's an interesting shot. See if you can duplicate it sometime?

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/PhotosGuy/Forum%20Junk/Welcome-ChargerRT_020.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bokeh? your thoughts please....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.