Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Sep 2006 (Wednesday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Error 05 - Flash

Youngster
267 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 06, 2006 08:44 |  #1

Hey there!

I've got an EOS 350D. A stranger knocked my camera over, it falling to the ground on a rather soft carpet. Nothing seemed to have broken, untill I made some further inspections...

Well, my EF 50mm lens that was mounted on it had some damage - it works fine now, but for a while I was scared it had actually broken; It almost came in to two pieces. After simply giving it a twist it appears to work fine now, but some issues appear when using Auto Focus...Oh well.

But Error 05! Flash! It won't pup up automatically! I can manually open it, but I am not supposed to do that. Any tips?

5D MK II | 350D | 24-105mm L | 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20mm

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,689 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 06, 2006 09:33 |  #2

By manually open it, do you mean lift it up with your fingers, or use the button to make it pop up itself?

If the button doesn't work to make the flash pop up, and you have to lift it up with your fingers, there could be a couple of different problems. One, the step motor that cause the flash to lift could be broken, or two, there's a tiny limit switch just beneath the rails on the hotshoe that detects when you have an external flash connected - if this is stuck shut, the flash won't lift.

For the latter, you can look for the limitswitch pin and see if it's sticking up, and potentially dissassemble the hotshoe to unstick it (I used to have to do this to my A2E film camera), but of course, this will void your warranty and you need to find some instructions on how to do this.

Or, if it's the former problem (or the latter), you can take the camera to an authorized Canon Repair shop or center and have them fix it for you.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 06, 2006 13:16 |  #3

If you can get it up, then read this on what I experienced, might be helpful:

Flash will pop up, click two or three times and then set the error?

Under the flash, back and on the left side (lens side away), there's a little sensor pin that detects that the flash actually came up.

If that's still "down" and hasn't popped up..... work it up with something like a toothpick.

Clean it with something like alcohol or lens cleaner would be better. My 350D did this, and I thought it was broken.

If not, then there's the fitment issue described above.

moew!!!!!

Youngster
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 06, 2006 13:44 |  #4

Thanks, both of you.

Now it will pop every once in awhile as it is supposed to, either by just clicking on the button or shooting in Auto mode. But sometimes when it is supposed to jump up it makes the 'click' sound three times in a row, after which it gives me the error message. (Error 05). The good thing is that the flash itself works, but I'd ofcourse prefer having it work properly. I will try some of the tips you've presented now...

On a sidenote; the lens seems to be quite broken after all. I will need to get it repaired...It's brand new! What a crappy day.

hudsonch
155 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 06, 2006 13:50 as a reply to  @ syntrix's post |  #5

syntrix wrote:
If you can get it up, then read this on what I experienced, might be helpful:

Flash will pop up, click two or three times and then set the error?

My Rebel XT has this problem exactly. Usually it takes 2-3 clicks to pop-op. If the flash doesn't pop-up after 3 clicks, I get the Error 05.

If it pop up once, the subsequent pop-ups will be much easier even after I press it down. Once the flash is up, it fires without any problem.

Let me try the cleaning method you have recommended.

:lol: Life is a box of cameras and lenses! - H.C. :lol:

Canon 350D & a bag of inexpensive used lenses

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 06, 2006 13:54 as a reply to  @ hudsonch's post |  #6

What weird is that i googled the heck out of the error message and only got the "file down your flash" posts.

Took a bit to figure out that little pin not popping up!

moew!!!!!

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 06, 2006 13:57 |  #7

Here is my two cents. Sometimes, by accident, I have pushed the flash pop-up button with my hand resting on the flash, and the camera will go through the three clicks (actual attempts to open the flash, but it skips if it encounters resistance of any sort, to avoid damaging the mechanism) and then gives me Error05. Which is "take your hand off the flash you dummy, and restart me". Once I do that, everything works ok.

There might be something broken within the Flash assembly that keeps its motor from opening it, as it encounters some sort of resistance. After three tries, it gives you the Error05, assuming there is something actually blocking the flash. Hopefully it can just be fixed as described above.

Fixes? I would call Canon Service -email them, better- and then wait for what they have to say. Other than that, you can always tinker with the flash open, and see if you can find anything amiss.

Good luck, and start looking at the 430EX before spending your money on repairs !! :)

Cheers,

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

Youngster
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 06, 2006 14:56 |  #8

A new flash is the first thing on my list of things to buy, but it'll have to wait as I'm in great need of this lens that is now "broken". It actually works still, but it is still broken and I don't want to risk having it falling in pieces...

Thanks everyone.. :)

sponsored links

19,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Error 05 - Flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.