Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 09 Sep 2006 (Saturday) 06:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MX

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
3,554 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 09, 2006 06:52 |  #1

It's been awhile since i've done any motorsport photography but today i happened to visit some friends when they were playing on their ramp jumps.
I took a bunch of shots with a VERY cheap telezoom which was the only lens i had with me.Most were out of focus of course but the odd shot turned out:)
D*mn i have to work on my timing:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .Most shots could have been better
simply by shooting half a second earlier.....

The best shot but not the most interesting-

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Took awhile to get even the basics right! LOL
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Kept missing his head touching the seat -:(
IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
YFZ_52
475 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2006 11:58 |  #2

I like the second one because its looking underneath him. Its a different style shot then the usual that you see. Freestyle motocross is hard to get the perfect timing because each guy does a trick at different times in the air. everyone has their own style. These shots look great though. Keep up the FMX shooting.

Josh

| flickr (external link) |

Mattyj
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 09, 2006 21:40 as a reply to  @ YFZ_52's post |  #3

Great captures!

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

HrcRacing
Goldmember
2,019 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2006 01:22 as a reply to  @ Mattyj's post |  #4

Looks like you had some pretty harsh light, especially on the second one. Being an older MX'er, I like the first one. Has a classic style to it.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you "Kept missing his head touching the seat" on the third one. Couldn't you just shoot a burst of shots?
Regardless, other than the highlights on the second, they're a great series of shots.

Robert

Canon 40D | Canon EOS Elan 7

ron ­ chappel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
3,554 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 10, 2006 07:26 |  #5

Yes a series of shots would be ideal ,but the 300D just isn't quite quick enough to get more than one usefull image per jump :(. At 3 frames per sec it should be in theory - maybe the slow focussing lens made it worse (a sigma 70-300 DL macro -non APO)

The harsh light in the second shot is mostly wrongly done post proccessing.It's good to have others critique like this -the mistakes i'd take ages to spot are easily noticable to others ;)

How long since you've raced HRC?
I was most serious in the mid eighties myself.

HrcRacing
Goldmember
2,019 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2006 21:29 as a reply to  @ ron chappel's post |  #6

As far as the slow focussing goes, when we used to have a motocross national fairly nearby, I used to pre-focus manually. I pretty much leave the MX photography up to Racer-X now ;), but read somewhere that photographers are still doing this to avoid those kind of problems.
Even with landscapes, I focus on, for example, a foreground interest, then switch to MF. Works great.
Ah, let's see, my last race must have been in 2003. I started racing in 1982 and raced pretty steady until 1997. I still have a bike ('03 CRF450R) but, now a days, it's just riding for fun.

What do you know about dual-sport rides in Australia Ron? A buddy of mine's dream is to spend a couple of weeks over there, one of them on a bike.

Robert

Canon 40D | Canon EOS Elan 7

barP
515 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 10, 2006 21:50 as a reply to  @ HrcRacing's post |  #7

cool stuff, man. i feel your pain with the sigma 70-300. i have the newer one, but as i told some moto buddies, it's slower than a '93 kx125 with a rag in the airbox!

wp.

www.dapixa.com (external link)

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 11, 2006 00:25 as a reply to  @ barP's post |  #8

barP wrote:
cool stuff, man. i feel your pain with the sigma 70-300. i have the newer one, but as i told some moto buddies, it's slower than a '93 kx125 with a rag in the airbox!

wp.

Now that's slow......LOL

I shoot this stuff pretty regular and I have pretty good luck with actually tracking the bike in servo, and normally use partial or center weighted metering.

Oh and speaking of riding / racing.......here's the old man (me).......yesturday..​....shot by a buddy of mine.

IMAGE: http://i.pbase.com/g3/49/377449/2/66584950.qMfeVnUs.jpg

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

sponsored links

1,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
MX
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.