Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 18 Sep 2006 (Monday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Shot From Tonight and a Question (Volleyball)

DaDeuce
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 18, 2006 23:42 |  #1

First time posting on this forum, but been lurking here for a few weeks.

Got this pic tonight:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

I do have a question though, does she look a little "untextured"?

Any other comments or thoughts? Any advice? This only my 3rd real chance to take pictures of a volleyball game (I have some others fromt tonight and might post those tomorrow) and I think that I am improving some what.

Also do you guys usually shot in large jpeg or straight to raw?

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Little ­ Fish
217 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 19, 2006 07:36 |  #2

I think it's a great photo. It's hard to freeze the action that well in volleyball when shooting at 1/250. At first I thought the photo needed to be rotated to the right because of the net and the player's lean to the left, but rotating the photo would then get the background all out of whack.

I know what you mean about the untextured look and I get those in my volleyball shots (I have to shoot at ISO 3200 and 2.8 just to get 1/200 speed). I don't have an answer for you on that but I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say. Welcome to the forum and continue to post.

(Edited addition: I shoot everything as large JPEG because I'm shooting so many sport and so many photos that I just don't have time to do much processing work. If I did shoot anything RAW, it guess it would be the indoor shots where I need the most help because of the poor lighting.)

Body: 1D Mark IV, 50D 20D Lenses: Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 1.4 and 2x extenders, Canon f1.8 85mm, Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO DG

Photos: http://gomajors.smugmu​g.com/ (external link) and http://fle-pics.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2006 07:37 |  #3

DaDeuce wrote in post #2005983 (external link)
...I do have a question though, does she look a little "untextured"?...

IMPO - yes

rabidcow
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 19, 2006 09:59 |  #4

DaDeuce wrote in post #2005983 (external link)
First time posting on this forum, but been lurking here for a few weeks.

I do have a question though, does she look a little "untextured"?

Also do you guys usually shot in large jpeg or straight to raw?

Great timing on the shot! But to answer your question, yes, the image looks like there was a bit too much noise reduction applied. I shoot all of my sports with jpeg medium and I see much less noise in the images at ISO1600 than I do in RAW.

Steven A. Pryor (external link)
Photo Manager, Prestige Portraits (Central Indiana)
Pixel peep or shoot...Pixel peep or shoot... or shoot... (external link)
Stuff

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 19, 2006 12:07 |  #5

I'll try adjusting the noise reduction when I get home today. Also I've been shooting with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens, I've read a few places that peole are recommending atleast a f1.8 to consistantly get good volleyball/indoor gymnasium shots. Any truth to this? I know its always the faster the better, the more expensive, but will my quality jump that much?

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,487 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 19, 2006 13:06 |  #6

Yes... noise reduction was a little over done

and Yes... a f1.8 lens is always very helpful. The 85 f1.8 is one of those lenses that probably should be in all photographers bag.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

davidmigl
189 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2006 15:21 |  #7

Without even looking at your description, I noticed a slow shutter speed and the "plastic" skin.

Yes, f/2.8 is definitely way too small for HS gyms. The 1.8 lets in more light, which = more shutter speed = more sharpness. Or, if there's alot of light (some HS gyms have windows), you could take a step down to ISO 800 for less grain. I've never been able to get over f/2.5 in a gym, and even that was with better than average lighting. The 1.8 is also lightning fast in the autofocus. It's regarded as the ideal lens for volleyball and basketball.

I usually shoot RAW - it's so much more forgiving for mistakes and much easier to batch process. I usually do not shoot bursts in volleyball (except maybe for serves).

One tip that I have found useful is to use the "M" mode since the light usually does not change much. Aperture should be max (but the 1.8 loses some sharpness there, regaining it by 2/3 stop smaller), ISO 1600, and get the max shutter speed you can while keeping the exposure between 0 and 1. I usually accept 1/500 as a minimum shutter speed. And even though it's minimum, going higher won't really do much more. Once you have achieved 1/500, you can open up the aperture a couple of 1/3 stops, and maybe look at lowering the ISO.

At the home gym, I usually set my camera to 1/500, 2.2, ISO 1600 - the gym's just bright enough.

Canon Digital Rebel XT (Silver) | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 85mm f/1.8 USM

sponsored links

2,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Shot From Tonight and a Question (Volleyball)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.