Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 20 Sep 2006 (Wednesday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best portable media viewer

WiT8litZ
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2006 08:51 |  #1

hey,
i was wondering if you guys could gimme your opinion on the best portable medai device. i want to save photos onto it from cf card as well. i have looked at the digital foci piture porter elite, as well as epson p-4000. are there any others,and what do you think?
tx, W

I'm a student and my cashflow < camera price :(:(

sponsored links
madferrit
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 20, 2006 08:59 |  #2

I bought a P2000 from a fellow POTN member a few weeks ago. I have to admit i absolutely love it. The screen is amazing, and its faster than i thought it would be. Uploading to the pc was a doddle too, and it transferred some 500 pic in about 4 mins :)

My Canon can.. I just need to find out how :rolleyes:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=298914

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 20, 2006 10:04 |  #3

I also have a P-2000, it will show RAW files and the EXIF info. It will also show a histogram on a jpeg. Very nice unit.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

Loki1117
145 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 20, 2006 15:35 |  #4

I too have a P-2000 and concur with the comments above. Rather than printing out lilltle albums of pictures I put the albums on the P-2000 and only make big prints of the images I really love.

Jeff :cool:

20D
Elan IIe

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and
nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 20, 2006 15:48 |  #5

There is now an exceptional piece of kit from JOBO. The Jobo Giga Vu Pro Evolution is aimed at the pro photographer and carrying a pro price but well worth checking out. (the dowload speed for cards is way faster than any other I have seen.) I have the 120 Gig on order.

Available in 40GB / 80GB & 120GB Sizes
• Extreme Bright Screen
(Jobo = 280 candela, Epson P4000 = 90 candela)
• VGA resolution 640x480
(Outgoing GVP was QVGA 320x240)
• Extreme download speed (2.5 minutes for a 1GB card)
• Highlight Detection
• No Pixel Display Limit (Displays any file size – Epson P4000 limits at 17.8 MP)
• Displays All RAW formats
• Decodes & Opens RAW files for Zooming to Pixel Level
• Dust Detection Facility
• Pictbridge Compatible
• USB OTG facility to Back up data to a Giga One for 2 level backup
• Cushioned Hard Drive
• Exif Data Editing (inc Keywords)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2006 19:23 |  #6

I use the HECK out of my P20000, and it's the greatest.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 20, 2006 19:28 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

another extremely happy p-2000 owner. If I had to do it over, I'd look into the jobo, but the Epson is no slouch

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Eagle
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2006 19:43 as a reply to  @ coreypolis's post |  #8

Laptop

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

WiT8litZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 21, 2006 07:59 as a reply to  @ Eagle's post |  #9

Looks like the Epson is the clear winner. Anyone ever seen or use the Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite? I just wanna make sur that I checked out all options.
As for the Jobo, if its a bit more expensive chances are I won't be able to afford it. Student budget.

All the Epson people: should I get a P-2000 for cheaper or try to save up for the P-4000?

Some other Epson questions: I read somewhere that the filenames are restricted to 8 characters? Isnt that annoying? Also, can it record video in? The Digital Foci has this feature, seems quite handy!

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,089 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 21, 2006 08:04 |  #10

I have and love the Epson, buthave to say if buying from scratch now would seriously look at the Jobo evolution neil_r mentioned. Don't forget the P4000 too!

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2006 08:32 |  #11

WiT8litZ wrote in post #2016722 (external link)
All the Epson people: should I get a P-2000 for cheaper or try to save up for the P-4000?

I think that's something you need to decide on your own based on your budget and shooting habits. To me the P-2000 was more than enough and right now there is a $50 mail in rebate on it.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

WiT8litZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 21, 2006 08:36 |  #12

Sledhed wrote in post #2016822 (external link)
I think that's something you need to decide on your own based on your budget and shooting habits. To me the P-2000 was more than enough and right now there is a $50 mail in rebate on it.

Okay, makes sense... I live in South Africa, and buying the thing here would be a total ripoff. So I plan on asking a friend to get it in the States for me. What would be a decent price to pay for either unit?

Loki1117
145 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 21, 2006 10:18 |  #13

WiT8litZ wrote in post #2016722 (external link)
Also, can it record video in? The Digital Foci has this feature, seems quite handy!

What do you mean by "record in?" The P-2000 is a storage and play back device. It does not "record" anything except files. It will play many types of files including MP3 and MPEG-4 video. To get a complete list check the Epson site. It also has speakers on it, but you can plug headphones into it as well. There is a commercial that was played on local stations last Christmas which my hands are in and I recorded and digitized it and put it on my Epson and now show it to family and friends when I see them. :D

Yes, it does truncate file names down to 8 characters. The complete file name is there, it just doesn't show the entire name.

Hope that helps.

Jeff :cool:

20D
Elan IIe

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and
nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

WiT8litZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 21, 2006 12:11 |  #14

Loki1117 wrote in post #2017183 (external link)
What do you mean by "record in?" The P-2000 is a storage and play back device. It does not "record" anything except files. It will play many types of files including MP3 and MPEG-4 video. To get a complete list check the Epson site. It also has speakers on it, but you can plug headphones into it as well. There is a commercial that was played on local stations last Christmas which my hands are in and I recorded and digitized it and put it on my Epson and now show it to family and friends when I see them. :D

Yes, it does truncate file names down to 8 characters. The complete file name is there, it just doesn't show the entire name.

Hope that helps.

Okay, the file size question is solved.

Here's a quote from the Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite website:

www.digitalfoci.com/pi​cture_porter_elite.htm​l (external link) wrote:
=http://www.digitalfoci​.com/picture_porter_el​ite.html] (external link)
Voice/Video Recorder
With built-in microphone and recording capability, you can use Picture Porter Elite as a voice recorder to record lectures, interviews, or conferences. Picture Porter Elite also records videos straight from TV or any other video source with a scheduled recording function. Using high-compression MPEG-4 encoding, Picture Porter Elite keeps the file sizes small for easy sharing while maintaining a high level of picture and sound quality.

Was just wondering if the Epson has the same function? I havent checked the website thoroughly though, but will get chance soon to do so.

Michaelmjc
not cool enough
4,832 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 21, 2006 19:55 |  #15

Epson rocks my socks!

Yyz Design (external link)

sponsored links

4,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
best portable media viewer
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.