Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 21 Sep 2006 (Thursday) 00:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soccer Pictures

DaDeuce
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 21, 2006 00:26 |  #1

Finally got the camera dialed in and had a great night with a good quantity of keepers:

IMAGE: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6407/taylorpopsf0.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8975/groupshotpopbc3.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6708/bobbystandmw6.jpg

IMAGE: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5442/bigkick2iq7.jpg

Comments? Critiques?

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
symes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 21, 2006 01:03 |  #2

that was a big post again...

same thing I said in the last post...your horizons are all crooked and the focuse seems off as well...

Cheers,

Symes
Symplicity Photography (external link) Symplicity Glamour (external link)
5D Mark II; 1D Mark II; 17-40L; 24-70 2.8L; 70-200 IS 2.8L

Little ­ Fish
217 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2006 07:48 |  #3

Deuce--I saw the volleyball post and the reply by symes which is right on target. With this thread it is easier to see the problem with the horizon.

Look at the fence that appears behind the action in most of the photos and notice how it is almost always sloping down to the left. The good thing about this is that they are fairly consistent and it looks like you've just gotten in the habit of holding your camera with a little tilt. Take some photos before the game and be aware of how you are holding the camera and then review the photos and see if the horizons are correct. It's just a learning process which I am still going through and I still find myself rotating images by 1-3 degrees in Photoshop to straighten out some shots.

On the question about focus, let me suggest that you shoot at a higher f-stop. These shots were taken at f2.8 and 1/2000 and ISO 800 so it wasn't the brightest of days. I think it would have been better if you had used f4 and 1/1000 which would give you a wider margin of error on the focusing. I know that a lot of people here write about shooting wide open to blur the background, etc., but a lot of people here are really talented photographers. I find that it helps me to be at a little higher f-stop so I can be sure that I have the primary subject in focus first and as I get better I will worry about getting the background out of focus.

Hope that helps some. Don't get discouraged--keep shooting and you will improve and keep asking questions and you will learn (advice that I need to follow and I try to follow).

Body: 1D Mark IV, 50D 20D Lenses: Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 1.4 and 2x extenders, Canon f1.8 85mm, Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO DG

Photos: http://gomajors.smugmu​g.com/ (external link) and http://fle-pics.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 21, 2006 08:11 as a reply to  @ Little Fish's post |  #4

to straighten photos in cs2 use can use these techniques:

when opening a raw image in ACR use the straighten tool and use it to draw a line along something that should be straight in the photo, ACR will do the rest.

if you working on an image already opened

- use the measure tool (found in the eyedropper tool flyout submenu) to draw a line using something in the image as a guide that should be straight (eg. wall of building, horizon, fence posts etc.) verticle or horizontial it dosn't matter.

- when your done making your line using the measure tool you'll next have to rotate the image to straighten it. To rotate the image from the pull down menu use:

rotate canvas
arbitrary

when the arbitrary dialog box opens it will contain the change in degrees that the measure tool calculated is need to correct (straighten) the image, click OK and check the results. ;)

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 21, 2006 08:49 |  #5

Little Fish wrote in post #2016698 (external link)
Deuce--I saw the volleyball post and the reply by symes which is right on target. With this thread it is easier to see the problem with the horizon.

Look at the fence that appears behind the action in most of the photos and notice how it is almost always sloping down to the left. The good thing about this is that they are fairly consistent and it looks like you've just gotten in the habit of holding your camera with a little tilt. Take some photos before the game and be aware of how you are holding the camera and then review the photos and see if the horizons are correct. It's just a learning process which I am still going through and I still find myself rotating images by 1-3 degrees in Photoshop to straighten out some shots.

On the question about focus, let me suggest that you shoot at a higher f-stop. These shots were taken at f2.8 and 1/2000 and ISO 800 so it wasn't the brightest of days. I think it would have been better if you had used f4 and 1/1000 which would give you a wider margin of error on the focusing. I know that a lot of people here write about shooting wide open to blur the background, etc., but a lot of people here are really talented photographers. I find that it helps me to be at a little higher f-stop so I can be sure that I have the primary subject in focus first and as I get better I will worry about getting the background out of focus.

Hope that helps some. Don't get discouraged--keep shooting and you will improve and keep asking questions and you will learn (advice that I need to follow and I try to follow).

Fish~ Thanks for the comments.

As for the background issue, I realize that it is something I need to get better at, however that can be fixed in PP with PS, so the focus is my main concern.

About the focus- The soccer team is playing today and I'll give the wider F stop a try, but opening the F stop might be a little harder with the volleyball pictures. I find myself at f2.8 with ISO between 1600 & 3200 and I still find that I am getting blur on some of the shots. I was actually contemplating buying a 50 or 85mm f/1.8 for volleyball, but it sounds like it might complicate things even more.

On my other question about the focus point, is there anyway to make it focus solely on the center point? I've noticed that often, especially with a higher zoom, the camera wants to focus on things off center.

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?

Little ­ Fish
217 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2006 09:28 |  #6

Volleyball is tough on the focus because of the lighting and because I find myself chasing the action around and maybe not giving the camera the split second it needs to focus.

Your question has been answered before here's my reply. I have a Canon 20D and the info you want on the focus point is in my manual under "AF Point" in the index. I shoot just about everything using just the center point as my focus point--it works pretty good when I keep the center point on my subject.

An additional unsolicited bit of advice that has helped me considerably--continue to go back and read your manual multiple times. Every time I go back and look through the sections I find something that is helpful, usually something that I didn't need initially but something that is now useful information. I think a lot of people get a camera and learn the basics but they fail to work at utilizing the full potential of the top-notch models.

By the way, I just received a 85mm 1.8 for volleyball since the best setting I can get with a 2.8 lens is ISO 3200 and 1/200 shutter speed. The added speed will be great but I am anxious to see how my focusing will be at f1.8.

Body: 1D Mark IV, 50D 20D Lenses: Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 1.4 and 2x extenders, Canon f1.8 85mm, Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO DG

Photos: http://gomajors.smugmu​g.com/ (external link) and http://fle-pics.smugmug.com/ (external link)

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 21, 2006 09:46 |  #7

Little Fish wrote in post #2016986 (external link)
Volleyball is tough on the focus because of the lighting and because I find myself chasing the action around and maybe not giving the camera the split second it needs to focus.

Your question has been answered before here's my reply. I have a Canon 20D and the info you want on the focus point is in my manual under "AF Point" in the index. I shoot just about everything using just the center point as my focus point--it works pretty good when I keep the center point on my subject.

An additional unsolicited bit of advice that has helped me considerably--continue to go back and read your manual multiple times. Every time I go back and look through the sections I find something that is helpful, usually something that I didn't need initially but something that is now useful information. I think a lot of people get a camera and learn the basics but they fail to work at utilizing the full potential of the top-notch models.

By the way, I just received a 85mm 1.8 for volleyball since the best setting I can get with a 2.8 lens is ISO 3200 and 1/200 shutter speed. The added speed will be great but I am anxious to see how my focusing will be at f1.8.

I've read the manual once, and skimmed it a few more times, and each time I've picked up something new, just like you said. I've tried setting the focus point to the center and either I didn't do it right, or just didn't save it correctly. I'll give it a try for tonights games. If I can get that figured out, I should be able to get some boost in quality in my volleyball pictures. My girlfriend plays for a local college and I get to see them play 2-3 times a week so I really have a feel for what they are going to do, so I don't really find myself "chasing" so much as my younger brother's soccer games.

Volleyball is pretty basic to understand how to shoot: There's usually 1-2 setters on the floor who will get the ball on every play. The people on the back line will be digging/passing to the setter, and the taller plays will be reciving the set for the kill. So if I can master setting up the camera to the center focal point, anticipating where to focus is very easy.

Let me know how that 85mm f/1.8 works out for you, I'm thinking about renting one to try it before I buy, but I need to get my focusing sorted out first or else I will still be getting pictures that are out of focus, or focused just off of the center causing the action to be slightly blured.

Little ­ Fish
217 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2006 09:49 |  #8

I should have put this in my last post: It really helps to have a larger manual when trying to study up on your camera. Canon has a download library where you can print out an 8.5" x 11" manual and it makes it a lot easier to look up things and make notes, etc. The link to the library is:
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ller?act=Downlo​adIndexAct (external link)

For that spot you should be able to go through and pick the product, model number, etc. I did have to allow a pop-up before the manual would display.

davidmigl
189 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 21, 2006 10:49 |  #9

Hey, don't know if you've got it figured out yet, but if you still want to know how to get the focus on center only:

1. Press the "AF Points" button - it's in the top right hand corner of the camera if you're looking at it from the back... it's icon is what looks like a box with a dashed plus sign in front of it... it's also labeled with a "zoom in" icon (magnifying glass with plus sign in it".

2. Press the "Left" button (the same one you would use to change the metering mode) three times.

3. Halfway depress the shutter button to save the settings.

You can play around with the directional arrows to select different focus points.

About the shots:

Sometimes tilt can be used to make a photo more interesting; I think this is the case with #1 and 6. The rest are distractingly tilted.

Some of them (most noticeable 2 and #8) are over-saturated compared to the rest of the batch. The settings seem to change for each photo. Aim for some consistency across the board.

Oh, and about the lens, the 85mm 1.8 will NOT complicate things more. It's a prime lens, and I've found that lack of zoom is one less thing to become distracted with (I guess that could be done with a zoom too). It will make life easier in the gym with the larger aperture: it will usually allow you to get shutter speeds of 1/500 at 1600 and f/2.2 or something like that. The autofocus is blazingly fast, as well.

Canon Digital Rebel XT (Silver) | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 85mm f/1.8 USM

sponsored links

1,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soccer Pictures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.