Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 20 Sep 2006 (Wednesday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best portable media viewer

Loki1117
145 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 22, 2006 09:11 |  #16

No, the p-2000 does not have that capability. When I purchased my Epson, the main competion were these devices that had flip up screens and they just didn't seem to have the clarity and resolution that the Epson had. looking at the website for the device you are considering would lead me to believe that another manufacturer has come up with a device to really compete with the epson and at a similar price. I would suggest that if the opportunity is there to hold both and see them side by side, but the Digital Foci looks like a great little unit.

Jeff :cool:

20D
Elan IIe

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and
nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

sponsored links
PostShawn
247 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 29, 2006 00:43 |  #17

WiT8litZ wrote in post #2016722 (external link)
Looks like the Epson is the clear winner. Anyone ever seen or use the Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite? I just wanna make sur that I checked out all options.

I have the Digital Foci Media Buddy unit. It's pretty good for being the cheap one from them. I would probably still go with the Epson unit over them because it's a much more recognizable company but if it was much cheaper to do the Digital Foci I would personally save to give it a shot.

Weapons Arsenal:
- Canon 20D
--- Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5
--- Canon 70-200 F4L
- Media Buddy 80GB portable storage

ungx0013
133 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 29, 2006 09:32 |  #18

If you like updated gadgets, you should wait a little longer because Epson just released the P-3000 (40 gigs) and P-5000 (80 gigs)at Photokina. Also you might want to look in to Canon's new portable media player, which similar but made with by Canon with their EOS looks, M30 (30 gigs) and M80 (80 gigs). One draw back is that the Canon is only on version 1 while Epson is on version 3.

Canon EOS 30D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 / Kit Lens 18-55mm
7MDH / Slingshot 200 (FS?) / BG-E2
Epson P-5000 / Sony Vaio SZ-460NC

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 29, 2006 09:43 |  #19

ungx0013 wrote in post #2053283 (external link)
If you like updated gadgets, you should wait a little longer because Epson just released the P-3000 (40 gigs) and P-5000 (80 gigs)at Photokina. Also you might want to look in to Canon's new portable media player, which similar but made with by Canon with their EOS looks, M30 (30 gigs) and M80 (80 gigs). One draw back is that the Canon is only on version 1 while Epson is on version 3.

Dont forget the Jobo offering

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

MazerRakhm
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 02, 2006 11:46 |  #20

neil_r wrote in post #2053309 (external link)
Dont forget the Jobo offering

Do you have one?

I just saw it for the first time, and it sounds pretty sweet.

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
30D, Kit lens, 70-200 f2.8L, Nifty 50, 16-35 f2.8L
***ksmith.smugmug.com (external link) *** LiveJournal Blog (external link)***SportsShooter Member (external link)***

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Oct 02, 2006 11:55 as a reply to  @ MazerRakhm's post |  #21

Also don't forget to look at Wolverine/Vosonic units they have a lot of features at a slightly lower price and sometimes slightly faster card to device speed then comparable Epson. Not to mention higher capacities available.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Oct 02, 2006 11:56 |  #22

MazerRakhm wrote in post #2066239 (external link)
Do you have one?

I just saw it for the first time, and it sounds pretty sweet.

I have a 129 gb on order, but have used both the Jobo and the epson. The Jobo transfer speeds make the choice a no brainier

http://www.jobo.com …giga_vu_pro_evo​lution/gb/ (external link)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 02, 2006 14:28 as a reply to  @ neil_r's post |  #23

Stick with a known maker and unit - I shoot for a living and 20 gig is a hell of a lot of photos for anyone.
Unless your trying to beat the next wave of bigger-better-faster, get a good functional device and use it for years. (P-2000) for me since it came out.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

txduggan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 03, 2006 18:29 |  #24

Chiming in with a slightly different viewpoint...

First, I own and use an Epson P-2000 because I *wanted* a storage device with a display to use on field shoots until I get my portable viewing/printing/sales rig together.

Second, if you don't need the viewing capability, save yourself some money and get yourself a standalone external hard drive.

As others have said, it depends on what you need it for.

I LOVE my P-2000 and would recommend it (and the subsequent newer models) if it's features are what you're looking for.

Best,

Tom D

Gear: Yes - Rides quads really slow - Likes shiny things...
Wings of Love Photography (external link)
Wings of Love FaceBook Page (external link)
Tom Duggan Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
best portable media viewer
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.