Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2006 (Wednesday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slow Water

staciecd
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 27, 2006 12:25 |  #1

I've tried taking pictures of water where I slow the shutter speed to get a softer look of the water. However, I can't do this technique during the day because when the shutter speed is open too long, too much light gets in. Is there a way around this? I'm guessing now, but thought that I would ask anyway.

Stacie

---------------
Digital Rebel XT 350 | Kit Lens, 50mm f/1.8 II, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f4 L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 15mm Fisheye
Speedlight 580EX II, 2 PocketWizard Plus II
Stacie's Portfolio (external link) Updated Feb 2008 | Stacie on Flickr (external link)

---------------

sponsored links
Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 27, 2006 12:27 |  #2

Could try a higher F/stop or neutral density filters.

Sevas Tra

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 27, 2006 14:16 |  #3

I assume you are on the lowest ISO setting?
If you are then as Jaymz says, you will need an ND filter to effectively 'block out' some light

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

staciecd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 27, 2006 16:08 |  #4

Thanks! I think that the ISO was low, but I didn't think about the fstop.

---------------
Digital Rebel XT 350 | Kit Lens, 50mm f/1.8 II, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f4 L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 15mm Fisheye
Speedlight 580EX II, 2 PocketWizard Plus II
Stacie's Portfolio (external link) Updated Feb 2008 | Stacie on Flickr (external link)

---------------

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 27, 2006 16:12 |  #5

Put the camera in Tv mode with a slow shutter speed (1/15th or 1/2 sec for instance) and see what aperture it selects, as long as it is not 'flashing' 22 or 16 (depends on the smallest aperture your lens goes down to) you will be OK to blur the water and expose correctly.

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 27, 2006 16:48 |  #6

Use a CP filter, too, if you need to cut down the light some more. And, as an added bonus, the CP filter can eliminate a lot of the glare on the water's surface so that you can see whatever is in the water better.

...Leo

Cameo
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 27, 2006 20:28 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #7

What if you stepped down on the exposure?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 27, 2006 20:45 |  #8

Cameo wrote in post #2046481 (external link)
What if you stepped down on the exposure?

Errr, I think that's what the OP is trying to do. But he's wants to use a very slow shutter speed and he can't set the ISO any lower and he can't make the aperture any smaller. And hence the dilemma and the reason for this thread. :)

...Leo

MTalley
820 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 27, 2006 20:45 |  #9

Av mode, roll the selector until the smallest aperature (largest number) that your lens supports is selected. Make sure you are on the lowest ISO (generally 100). Half-press the shutter and see what shutter speed the camera selects. 1/2 second will give decent blur to the water - even slower is better.

A Circular Polarizer will help (generally will slow the shutter down a stop or two), as will neutral density filters.

Most of this has already been mentioned - just thought I'd summarize. :D

Oh, yeah. Don't forget your tripod.

Edited to add: If you're steady, a pair of sunglasses held in front of the lens sometimes makes a good substitute for neutral density filters.

(external link)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Sep 28, 2006 02:08 as a reply to  @ MTalley's post |  #10

Too small an aperture may create some distortion, too. The best bet for what you're trying to accomplish is going to be with a filter -- either polarizer or neutral density. Using either will allow you to get the shutter speed you want, and the DOF you want, without having to compromise one for the other.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

sponsored links

1,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slow Water
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.