Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Sep 2006 (Thursday) 01:11
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Honestly, how many times have you dropped your camera?"
NONE.
74.8%
ouch. only once. swore i'd never do that again.
17%
damn, it happened a second time
5.2%
and a third
0.7%
then this other time
0.5%
ok so then again
0.5%
**** i lost track, maybe in the teens?
0.9%
i lost count daaaays ago
0.2%
alright already i get the point
0.2%

424 voters, 424 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poll: Honestly, how many times have you dropped your camera?

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,880 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 28, 2006 11:32 as a reply to  @ post 2048898 |  #31

Not my story , but worth sharing.

18 months ago was taking some kiteboarding pics with my Pentax istDS.
One of the kiteboarders remarks "nice camera". He mentioned he had his camera in the car. Turns out he had a 1DSMK2!. He had just had the camera replaced by insurance company due to the plastic clip on the camera strap breaking , resulting in the camera taking a drop.

Now I realise a 1 series should be able to handle a drop , however in this case the strap failed while he was standing above a saltwater rockpool at the beach....

Now that's what I call a "drop"

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 28, 2006 12:06 |  #32

In my entire life, I've never dropped a piece of my electronic gear, camera or not.

Earlier this year was my first time, and go figure - it was my D30 w/grip and EF 35mm f/2.0 attached. It was on a shoulder strap, hanging around my shoulder... Went to take my coat off (and didn't feel the camera, forgot it was there) and... CRASH. Slid right off my shoulder and onto the ground. So the fall was somewhat gentle and only about two feet though it did land on asphalt. Some minor marks on the camera but the lens took all the damage (which wasn't much either) - basically the AF/MF switch blew out. $120 and it's as good as new. Ooops.

Could have been MUCH worse...

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

kwsanders
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 28, 2006 15:10 |  #33

The first day that I had my 100 mm f/2.8 macro, I had it on my XT with a couple of extension tubes. It was on my tripod and I had set the entire combo down in front of a flower. I turned around for a second to get something and as I turned back, I saw it going over into the dirt.

The edge of the lens hit the dirt, but it was recently cultivated, so it was soft. I cleaned the lens and checked the connection. All has been well since then.

Kerry Sanders | flickr (external link)
60D w/BG-E9 grip, 20D w/BG-E2 grip, 400mm f/5.6L, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40 f/4L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, Canon 1.4x II Extender, 580EX Flash
Manfrotto MK190XPRO3-BH with 496RC2 Ball Head
Full Gear List

stratos
259 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2006 15:17 |  #34

20d - none .... thanks god :P

fujifilm s5000 - 2 times

Canon 7D | Canon 20D | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Tammy 90 2.8 Di | Canon 10-22 EF-S | Canon 430EX
"Best Off" Gallery (external link)

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2006 15:21 |  #35

I have read too many butter-finger posts to bet I'll never drop my camera - but I am totally careful with it.

Most accidents happen either because they are knocked off a table, or a tripod falls over.

But I do have insurance, so if the worst happens I'm covered - upgrade time....? ;) No, I'm too darn honest, those strict upbringings are the worst :rolleyes:

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 28, 2006 16:45 |  #36

Waaayyyy back in 1968 I was shooting the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Monaco (with credentials from the Stars & Stripes - the American military newspaper for folks stationed in Europe). I was carrying two Nikon F cameras and a Mamiya C-33 around my neck with two shoulder-type camera bags at my sides. In my hustle to get somewhere, I dropped one of the Nikons (with a 28mm Nikkor lens mounted) from about four feet onto concrete. It hit nose first and crumpled the aluminum Nikon lens hood. I picked up the camera expecting it to be in pieces, but found it fully functional - though a little scarred.

The lens hood, by caving in, slowed the impact and reduced the peak force affecting the lens and body. I replace the bent-up hood (primarily for aesthetic reasons), but have never needed to repair the lens or body. They both work well to this very day.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2006 18:12 |  #37

Luckily I never have...... thou family member almost ditched a lens

Cambridge, ON.

TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2006 18:16 |  #38

No drops here, and it's a miracle as I have two boys under three. I have bumped it on a doorframe while slung around my back, but that''s it.

I REALLY wish this was a public poll so I could know who NOT to buy gear from :p

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Website (external link)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 28, 2006 18:20 |  #39

calicokat wrote in post #2047581 (external link)
I cannot jinx myself

Ditto! ;)

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

MTalley
820 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 28, 2006 21:14 |  #40

Guess I'm in the "ouch, only once..." category. Almost new 300D with kit lens, shooting an outdoor dance at night. Dance was on a raised patio with no railings around it. Patio was bricked, grass yard around the outside. I backed up for a shot and my left foot slipped off the side. Strap was not around my neck and, out of instinct, I threw the camera away from me.

As I hit the ground on my back, I heard the camera clatter and bang off the metal patio chair next to me, then bounced off the brick pavers once before stopping. I figured I had just ruined something. Total fall distance was probably 4 feet or so to the chair and another couple feet to the brick pavers.

After dusting myself off and retrieving my camera, I was more than happy to find everything still working great. When I got home and inspected, didn't find a mark on the lens at all and only one slight scratch to the camera. Camera still works great to this day - getting ready to roll over the odometer on it (at 9,800 clicks now).

(external link)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 28, 2006 22:11 |  #41

I watched my old P&S (5mp Coolpix) slide right off a (very shiny and slippery) trash can at Disney/Epcot... I could have gotten 50 speed frames with my 30D as it seemed to fall in s l o w m o t i o n... oh my... never again... the 30D is strapped to me for dear life. :D

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 28, 2006 22:21 |  #42

I'm the only one in 'lost count' but my camera has not so much been dropped, but knocked over, tipped, and lost balnce on a tripod. I think I need a tougher camera than the 20D, but then again, this was my main reason for getting rid of the Rebel.

Camera's do get a beating, and mine gets it's share.

In the film days my Nikon F4 was a heavily built camera, now in the digital age the camera's get more attention to sensors and computer chips so to get the same build quality is sort of unaffordable for anyone but the most professional.

Then you pay for build quality and the technologu gets out of date.

Better to just buy a new body every couple years and go semi-pro.

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 28, 2006 22:35 |  #43

havent dropped any of my bodies yet (knock knock) but i have dropped my EF 50 f1.4 onto a hardwood floor when it was brand spankin' new!!! i was too excited and when i took it out of the box it slipped out of its plastic cover and then BAM! it hit the floor. i immediately did some focus tests and it was still perfect. THANK GOODNESS!!

aliflack
401 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 29, 2006 07:07 as a reply to  @ post 2048188 |  #44

Never dropped the camera - but did send my 18-55 kit lens flying down a set of massive rocks (the kind you climb and get pretty high up) and bouncing every step of the way...

I didn't like it a huge amount so maybe it was a...freudian slip ;)

Yeah yeah, I know, awful pun.

40D, 16-35L F2.8, 24-70L F2.8, 70-300mm IS, 100mm F2.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Elinchrom D-Lites, Mid Octa, 580 EX
My Portfolio: Alistair Flack Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2006 07:10 |  #45

Actually, I was thinking of doing the same thing with mine. :) ;)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

6,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poll: Honestly, how many times have you dropped your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.