Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Sep 2006 (Thursday) 22:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about camera's, lenses, and noise with indoor sports

DaDeuce
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 28, 2006 22:35 |  #1

I have a 10d and currently use a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. This combo is fine for soccer. However when I take the camera indoors and have to crank the ISO to get good shutter speeds I get tons of noise. Currently I've been shooting volleyball and will move onto basketball here in the coming months so noise is a big issue for me. Now my first question is this- I've heard that the 30d is much better with noise control than the 10d, is this true? Is it noticable enough to warrent a body upgrade?

Now what if I instead bought a f/1.8 lens or two? This should allow me to turn down the iso setting, but how much?

If you had choice between upgrading the body and shooting with the 70-200, or buying a couple of prime f/1.8's and shooting with the 10d what would you do? What will yield the best resultes?

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Tandem
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 28, 2006 23:22 |  #2

Are you using noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image? If you are happy with the exposure at f/2.8 that may be all you need. I think both of them have demo versions.

I don't know enough about the two cameras to help you but if you decide on lenses don't get the Canon 50 f/1.8. It focuses too slow for sports and you won't be happy with the results. The 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 are the ones to consider for indoor sports.

Bill - A model needs careful lighting, professional makeup and expensive clothes to look as beautiful as any ordinary woman does to a man who has fallen in love with her.
G10, 5D, 1D2n, 1D3, 1Ds3, 1.4x, 2x / 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4, 300 f4 IS / 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 IS, 400 f2.8 IS / 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8M 135 f2
http://ColoradoSprings​.SmugMug.com/ (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2006 23:29 |  #3

Ideally you should have a clean camera like the 30D AND a fast prime lens for volleyball, basketball, etc. I'd get the fast lens first so you can get shutter speeds in the first place. Then later on I'd upgrade to a cleaner running camera. The 85mm f/1.8 is cheaper than a body. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Tandem
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 28, 2006 23:32 as a reply to  @ Tandem's post |  #4

To answer your question on ISO, If you go from f/2.8 to f/2.0 you can decrease your ISO by half - from ISO 3200 to ISO 1600 or from ISO 1600 to ISO 800. Or you can use it to increase your shutter speed by a factor of 2.

Going all the way to f/1.8 gives you another 1/3 stop to play with.

Bill - A model needs careful lighting, professional makeup and expensive clothes to look as beautiful as any ordinary woman does to a man who has fallen in love with her.
G10, 5D, 1D2n, 1D3, 1Ds3, 1.4x, 2x / 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4, 300 f4 IS / 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 IS, 400 f2.8 IS / 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8M 135 f2
http://ColoradoSprings​.SmugMug.com/ (external link)

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 29, 2006 09:15 |  #5

Does anyone have a high ISO comparison of the 10d, 20d, 30d, and any of the newest rebels? I would like to see one if possible to help my decision.

I guess I originally put this in the wrong section, thanks for moving it for me.

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 29, 2006 09:24 |  #6

one thing everyone forgets about is the type of noise they get. in most of my shots, i forget about getting rid of noise, rather i focus on getting noise to look like grain (trust me, it's easier than getting rid of it). compare an old iso 1600 film print to a iso 1600 print that came from a rebel and you'll find that the rebel will have less noise. (assuming a cheap 1600 film, not everyone can spend 100 bucks on rolls and processing after all). point is, don't worry too much about the noise.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 29, 2006 12:01 |  #7

DaDeuce wrote in post #2053229 (external link)
Does anyone have a high ISO comparison of the 10d, 20d, 30d, and any of the newest rebels? I would like to see one if possible to help my decision.

I guess I originally put this in the wrong section, thanks for moving it for me.

Not side by side comparisons for ALL models you mentioned, but go to www.dpreview.com (external link) and choose the models you want to look at. They have samples with thorough testing and reviews and the whole shebang.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 29, 2006 12:12 |  #8

Noise is more directly related to exposure errors than what body you're using.

See the link in my sig, spelled out clearly.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

sponsored links

2,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about camera's, lenses, and noise with indoor sports
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.