Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Sep 2006 (Saturday) 16:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do you take pictures?

Tandem
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 30, 2006 23:40 as a reply to  @ post 2059657 |  #16

I want to capture the human drama of athletic competition... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat.

Oh... and the money. :D

Bill - A model needs careful lighting, professional makeup and expensive clothes to look as beautiful as any ordinary woman does to a man who has fallen in love with her.
G10, 5D, 1D2n, 1D3, 1Ds3, 1.4x, 2x / 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4, 300 f4 IS / 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 IS, 400 f2.8 IS / 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8M 135 f2
http://ColoradoSprings​.SmugMug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 30, 2006 23:40 |  #17

Tandem wrote in post #2059842 (external link)
I want to capture the human drama of athletic competition... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat.

Oh... and the money. :D

I just want the money.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

AGENT ­ 99
User removed by request
120 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 01, 2006 00:13 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

I think, for me, its self worth.

I suppose they're many things I suck at in life. Photography, is something I know I can do and I know I have an eye for. I think its something I can be proud of, something I can show the family and get respect for.

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2006 00:33 as a reply to  @ AGENT 99's post |  #19

I cant draw,sing, paint, or write :) . It gives me a chance of a creative outlet, and the ability to freeze moments in time.

brian r.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 01, 2006 01:21 |  #20

It's an excape for me. Instead of roasting on the beach I take the camera, a friend and do a shoot.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

SOE ­ digital
103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2006 03:24 |  #21

I'm a camera (motion) operator. That's what I do for a living and it pays extremely well. Being 19 years old means I naturally want to try and give everything a go. Film making has always stuck with me so photography was a hobby that was always going to get my attention. I did photography in school and loved it but never really took it to heart.

A few days ago I got myself a new SLR to 'replace' my countless consumer digicams and I havn't stopped taking photos since. I can't put the camera down. It's an addiction :)

Plus, what could be better than getting paid good money for doing something you love?

Kiss Me I'm Irish

nevilleb
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 01, 2006 07:06 |  #22

Why? For the same reason peole climb mountains...

Because its there!

nevilleb

Neville Bulsara
Photography Workshops, Photo Tours & Expeditions to India for the Discerning Photographer (external link)

adavem
22 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2006 07:21 |  #23

memories.they are of special places ive been,wonderful things i've seen,people i know,people i love.they are pictures of everything that means something to me.i'm just an amatuer with 1 camera and nothing else but i love my pictures and look at them all the time

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 01, 2006 09:18 |  #24

I've always had a keen interest in photography. Worked part time years ago in a studio and did my own freelancing for quite a few years. Along comes children and your priorities change. Didn't lose the interest but just didn't have time for the level of participation that I wanted. Always had a decent setup of 35 film gear and then bought a little point and shoot digital.

Due to a crisis in my family I found myself with more time on my hands and needed something to take my mind off of things. I bought the Canon 10D and haven't looked back since. I used to do it mostly for enjoyment but now I am doing it full time.

There is nothing more enjoyable (ok well I can think of maybe one or two) than throwing the gear in the car and heading out for a day with just me and the gear. I can literally lose myself in my photography. It can be a real escape from the world around me. It is not just the photograph themselves that interest me. I tend to follow "the business of photography" allot these days too. I like to research the manufacturers, trends in the business, new products, just about anything to do with it.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 01, 2006 12:01 |  #25

It's always been fun for me and people seem to like my photos. I don't know whether anybody would be willing to pay for them though.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

philbyuk
804 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 01, 2006 14:44 |  #26

it replaces my friends ..as i havent got any.lol

My Gear

flickr (external link)
My 365 '2018' (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 01, 2006 22:28 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

ssim wrote in post #2060990 (external link)
Due to a crisis in my family I found myself with more time on my hands and needed something to take my mind off of things. I bought the Canon 10D and haven't looked back since. I used to do it mostly for enjoyment but now I am doing it full time.

Our paths seem to be parallel, Sheldon. And for the very same reason.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

JK
394 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 01, 2006 22:37 |  #28

cdi-ink.com wrote in post #2059843 (external link)
I just want the money.

But is there really a huge amount of money to be made in photography?

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
My Gear

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 01, 2006 23:24 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Yep. But only if you are a master of marketing.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

peatoire
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 02, 2006 10:08 |  #30

I worked on some image retouching for a private project of Douglas Menuez and he totally inspired me to pick up an slr. I've never looked back.

5D & Grip, 17-40 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, 85mm1.2 580EX 430EX II, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Rickety tripod.
Andy Peat
---------------
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

sponsored links

5,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do you take pictures?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.