Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2004 (Monday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your top 5 reasons... for Mark II owners.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 18, 2004 17:21 |  #16

Oh well.. I guess it doesn't matter how I try to make my point.. :roll: but I mention the concession for backwards compatibility in the first post ... :wink:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

May 18, 2004 18:09 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Oh well.. I guess it doesn't matter how I try to make my point.. :roll: but I mention the concession for backwards compatibility in the first post ... :wink:

You slammed both the camera and Canon pretty hard. I think we were all taken back a bit by that. Considering the power these batteries put out, dealing with minor refreshing seems quite worth it to me. Lithiums are not bullet-proof. They too can have slight memory issues and cannot be refreshed.

At least Canon gives us a charger that does refreshing.

defordphoto | Celebrating the art of photography®
SD500, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMKII, 1DMKIII
www.ussbaracing.com (external link) | www.rfmsports.com (external link) | www.nwfjcc.com (external link)
An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 18, 2004 19:33 |  #18

Sorry,. really it was not ment to be a slam at all. :oops:

I absolutely love this camera.. and I thought I made that clear.. (the smillies were supposed to indicate.. like in kindergarten when you get a smile or a frown for a grade?) :lol:

Again.. I was asked (or rather the question was asked) ... so I answered honestly.. no slam meant.

Maybe the camera is too new for me to air any "wish lists" but really.. in six months the 'net will be filled with them.. just as there was for every other DSLR before it.. we've done it for the 10D 1D D60 and D30 before it..

There is ALLWAYS room for improvement.. well almost allways, but I have only held perfection in my hands on a very few occasions in my life.. and a Camera has yet to be one of them.

For the record.. the Three times I can recall holding perfection... In the order in which they occured;.....

1. I had been an avid blade collector.. knives, swords,.. well I was in a freinds house. a producer and writer,.. and beside the fireplace was a Katana... I asked if I might handle.. "yes... my father brought it back from Okinawa.. "

I had allways known that these were the best history had to offer.. had handled a few more averadge specimens in the past,. but I was not prepared for the rush I got.. this was a "Family Sword".. no Idea of the date.. but it was magnifcent. Not overly ornate.. but the most lethal device I had ever held. The weight .. balance and feel of it literally sent chills down my spine.. I drew the blade to expose only about 12" from the scabbard.. recalling the tradition that they are only to be drawn when needed (to draw blod).. I could feel the power.. and somewhere deeeeeeeep in the back of my mind.. I was aware of how easy it would be to split the producer down the middle.. ?!

It was perfection.

2. An Icecream scoop... I kid you not.. this one was in a flea market.. made of solid brass.. the handles squeeze together to send a ring across the inside of the sccop and eject the ice.. This one I could afford and still own

3. Her name was Paulette.... :oops: 8) 8) 8)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

May 18, 2004 19:49 |  #19

LOL! Good response CDS! :)

There has never been, and I doubt—at least in our lifetimes—ever will be a perfect camera. There will always be something missing, or some button in the wrong place. Not to mention that people's opinions of perfection differ quite a bit. That blade you find to be perfect might be too heavy for me, or too light for CoolToolGuy or too long for Tom and/or too short for Nil. It's all very subjective.

As for your dissertation on the likes and dislikes you were quite colorful... and called the camera stupid... and didn't have any smilies in what you consider the negative aspects of the camera... and used words like "crap" and "pathetic" to describe it. IMO that was quite a slam on both Canon and the MKII. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but it sure came across that way to me.

www.ussbaracing.com (external link) | www.rfmsports.com (external link) | www.nwfjcc.com (external link)

LazyPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 20, 2004 12:24 |  #20

Thanks everyone... this is helpful to all of us.

LazyPhotographer: One who uses a telephoto lens to shoot pictures out the car window or from a balcony. :arrow: No Bird Posts Left Behind, dammit! :twisted:

LazyPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 23, 2004 20:31 |  #21

Bump to the top ... in case there's more you guys want to add.

LazyPhotographer: One who uses a telephoto lens to shoot pictures out the car window or from a balcony. :arrow: No Bird Posts Left Behind, dammit! :twisted:

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

May 23, 2004 21:49 |  #22

1. Pure unadulterated speed. I have to speed up to the camera, not the other way around. There is no waiting for anything with the MKII.

2. AWB. Auto white balance is phenomenal.

3. AI Servo. See #1. Focusing is super fast; super accurate.

4. 8.5fps. Again see #1.

5. Battery life. Wow! Amazing. Over 1500 shots, camera was ON for over 8 hours straight and meter still read full.

I'm sure I could come up with 5 more...:)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2004 11:03 |  #23

RFMSports wrote:
5. Battery life. Wow! Amazing. Over 1500 shots, camera was ON for over for over 8 hours straight and meter still read full.

O-kay.. here's wher I need to admit my mistakes... despite my feelings of the size and weight of this cameras battery.. I was NOT expecting the battery life it offers! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Having owned a 1D and knwoing that this battery three times the size and weight of a 10D battery and yet does not last any longer in the 1D than a Bp511 does in a 10D.. I was not prepared for how much longer this SAME beast lasts in the MkiI

Easily three times as long.. easily!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

May 24, 2004 12:10 |  #24

Amazing isn't it what a power-hog a CCD is. The one thing I don't like about the batteries is that they are large and heavy and carrying an extra in the vest is quite a bit different than a couple of little BP-511's. But, I'll pay the price...

LazyPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 04, 2004 12:54 |  #25

No new gripes or raves?

rodbunn
240 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 04, 2004 13:26 |  #26

I appreciate it!

I just want to say, I far more appreciate someone telling me what
"they" feel is bad about a camera then someone raving about what
it can do. I can read Canon's info about what it CAN do. I want to
hear from USERS what they don't like and then I can make my own
decisions as to if it's "petty" or "important" to ME.

Thanks for all the feedback either way everyone !

Rod

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 08, 2009 19:13 |  #27

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #207071 (external link)
3. Her name was Paulette.... :oops: 8) 8) 8)

And where, prey tell, is she now?

TheSportsGuy
359 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 08, 2009 20:14 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #28

IT.....IS.... ALIVE!!!!

:cool:

1D Mark II_40D w/grip_16-35 L f/2.8_24-70 L f/2.8_70-200 L f/2.8_100-400 L f/4.5-5.6
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38341050@N02/ (external link)

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 08, 2009 21:37 |  #29

K, why are we bumping up five year old threads...

I thought this thread was new (meaning it referred to the 5D Mark II) and was going to make a crack at listing five reasons to own a 1D II...only to be thwarted by the fact that it was ALREADY a 1D II thread.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 16, 2009 17:57 |  #30

MDJAK wrote in post #7482309 (external link)
And where, prey tell, is she now?

Sadly no Idea, but I'm up to #4 in the perfection dept now...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

10,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your top 5 reasons... for Mark II owners.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.