Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Oct 2006 (Monday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When exactly are the Canon rebates being offered?

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 03, 2006 11:55 |  #31

BTBeilke wrote in post #2071215 (external link)
You mentioned that you were wanting to get an additional lens. If you were to buy a lens off of the rebate list, you would get to double the rebate on both the 30D and whatever lens you choose. Or, you might consider buying a flash such as the 430EX. Then instead of just a $100 rebate, you'd get $220 back. You'd essentially be getting the 430EX for $20. I think most people here would agree that an external flash is a must. The built-in flash units are fine for an emergency but leave a lot to be desired in most cases.

The problem is that I whichever camera I go for it is a big expense for me. This is not what I do to make a living and to me this is a big purchase. I would love to take advantage of all the rebates and buy a camera and a few lenses and a flash but in the scheme of things I am barely going to be able to leave with the camera w/kit lens and a CF card.

So the 'small' amounts of money everyone mentions adds up to big doallrs for me. This is all about money for me but I will not compromise and will wait until I can afford the right camera. If I did not have to think about cash I would go out and buy a 30D today. I hear and read great things about the 400D and I bet I would be absolutely thrilled with it but I do wonder how long that will last.

Before I got my A620 I had limited understanding and experience with photography. Within about 6 months I was using the camera in M mode almost all the time and knew I wanted additional lenses. I was slowly outgrowing the camera. Now, another 6 months later I still love my A620 but am well aware of all it is and is not and I know I am ready for DSLR. I have a funny feeling that some of you that are recommending the 30D over the 400D are right in that the 30D is a camera that I will probably not outgrow. I really should go to the local camera store and feel them both too. Many refer to build and weight of the 400D as something they are not thrilled with and I can't relate to it because I have not held the camera in my hand.

I know I will wait at least until the rebates begin before I do anything so I will drive myself nuts for another few weeks and then more than likely just go for the D30 since I can see I am already presenting a good case for getting one. :D

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2006 12:40 |  #32

TMR Design wrote in post #2071474 (external link)
The problem is that I whichever camera I go for it is a big expense for me. This is not what I do to make a living and to me this is a big purchase. I would love to take advantage of all the rebates and buy a camera and a few lenses and a flash but in the scheme of things I am barely going to be able to leave with the camera w/kit lens and a CF card.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am hoping my wife will buy the "with these double rebates, I can't afford not to buy a 5D and a 16-35L before they expire" argument. :wink:

Blane
Gear List

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 03, 2006 12:51 |  #33

BTBeilke wrote in post #2071643 (external link)
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am hoping my wife will buy the "with these double rebates, I can't afford not to buy a 5D and a 16-35L before they expire" argument. :wink:

LOLOL too funny. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you view it) I only have to answer to myself so its easier to be irresponsible with money.;)

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,022 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Oct 03, 2006 13:50 |  #34

I figure I'll just pull out the rebate and say "Here's my shopping list"

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 03, 2006 16:09 |  #35

Actually Canon uses a third-party for rebates.....Just so you know, while there are some who report receiving their rebates in a timely manner; many, many, many (note the number) that report waiting for many months to receive their rebate checks. If not in a hurry for the rebate check, then definitely worth it.

inthedeck wrote in post #2071424 (external link)
Once Canon comes out with the rebates, basically, you purchase an item/two/three whatever. Then, you have to take a copy of the original receipt, cut off the UPC code and some other stuff from the original box, and send it off to canon. It's easy to prequalify your purchases online...and then wait.

There are rebate forms that you get, once you purchase something, during the rebate program, or you can always download them from the Canon website. Most of the rebates are in the US only, and require US Addresses.

Good luck.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 03, 2006 17:08 |  #36

m3incorp wrote in post #2072508 (external link)
Actually Canon uses a third-party for rebates.....Just so you know, while there are some who report receiving their rebates in a timely manner; many, many, many (note the number) that report waiting for many months to receive their rebate checks. If not in a hurry for the rebate check, then definitely worth it.

Yeah, I figured as much...and trust me, the waiting takes forever. Even checking the website from time to time revelas nothing. I just call every few weeks, just to make sure they received everything. Once, they lost all my info, and I had to send it all back (luckily I kept copies of everything).

No worries here, though...as I know what to expect.

Cheers.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

mxwphoto
588 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2006 22:23 |  #37

Here's a detailed look at which lens gets the best savings and thus the best deals. (I couldn't get the text formatting figured out on the post) Bold red line represents the best deals in zoom and prime and light line 2nd best. :) Perfect for me since that 17-40L and 100 macro are exactly the ones I want! :D :D :D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Great shots are like great parking spaces... if you're not quick, it's gone!

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 04, 2006 18:03 |  #38

From that chart the 5D is a bargain!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

mxwphoto
588 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 05, 2006 01:55 |  #39

Yes, 5D is quite the bargain at 20+% off on double rebates. Of course, Canon will be coming out with the 5D and 30D successors most likely by March 2007, which is probably why the rebates are so steep. If you don't mind letting $600+ floating around till you get the rebate check, then 5D is indeed worth investing in. :D

Great shots are like great parking spaces... if you're not quick, it's gone!

sponsored links

1,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
When exactly are the Canon rebates being offered?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.