Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Oct 2006 (Thursday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

moon shooting

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 05, 2006 23:47 |  #16

cataclysmcow wrote in post #2083351 (external link)
Great capture. Did you use the higher ISO intentionally to isolate the background more (faster shutter)?

I'll be searching the forums for your shots with the 20Da, but do you maybe have a gallery up?

Thank you.

Yes I used the higher ISO for this reason. Believe it or not as astrophotographers we routinely use higher ISO's to capture more light then deal with the noise in post processing.

I'm putting together a gallery but it's not complete yet.
Here's a few links though.

This is the famous HorseHead (1.5 hours @ 1600 ISO)- there was high cloud though which interfered with the shot so I'll be doing another soon.

This one is the antares region in Scorpius and was a single 90 sec @ 1600 ISO using the 85mm L f/1.2

Cheers

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

sponsored links
JunkieXL
72 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 05, 2006 23:48 |  #17

fivefish wrote in post #2083294 (external link)
I've been eyeing that lens and hope to get it by Christmas.... wow.

You will love it as much as I do :-)

If you live in the USA, don't forget to buy it from an Authorized Canon USA dealer to get your $40 check rebate!

Regards

Diego

Canon 7D | BG-E7
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye | Canon 17-40 L | Canon 50 1.8 | Canon 100-400 L IS | Canon 580EX
Fujifilm F30 | Olympus E-PL2

cataclysmcow
204 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 05, 2006 23:51 as a reply to  @ Dusty's post |  #18

Dusty, How accurate are those colors? Is that a result of the 20Da or did you PP those?

What are you using for a tracking mount?

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 06, 2006 00:53 |  #19

cataclysmcow wrote in post #2083394 (external link)
Dusty, How accurate are those colors? Is that a result of the 20Da or did you PP those?

What are you using for a tracking mount?

There is always post processing involved in astrophotography.
The histogram has to be stretched and curves adjusted to get the best result.
Where the 20Da has the advantage is that it doesn't restrict the infra red wavelegths as much as standard 20D's which are designed for everyday photography.
Also 'the 20Da is the only Canon DSLR which has live preview on the screen so while you are exposing you can watch the preview screen and adjust the focus to get the stars as tight as possible. It is otherwise difficult to achieve focus when doing astro shots any other way.

I use a TAK EM200 to track, the camera is either piggybacked onto the scope with a Canon lens, or it is attached directly to the scope via a T ring thus making the scope my lens.

:)

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

Carn
20 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2006 01:56 as a reply to  @ Dusty's post |  #20

Sheesh dusty those 2 pics are amazing. What kind of lenses are you using to get that detail ? Anothe rmaybe stupid question (I am a noob) is how do you do the long (minutes and hours) exposure images on a DSLR camera ? I am currently keen on buying either the new 400D or a 30D, but as far as I am aware, can only take images for 30seconds max, maybe I'm missing something here.......sorry for being so dumb :o

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 06, 2006 05:02 |  #21

Carn wrote in post #2083643 (external link)
Sheesh dusty those 2 pics are amazing. What kind of lenses are you using to get that detail ? Anothe rmaybe stupid question (I am a noob) is how do you do the long (minutes and hours) exposure images on a DSLR camera ? I am currently keen on buying either the new 400D or a 30D, but as far as I am aware, can only take images for 30seconds max, maybe I'm missing something here.......sorry for being so dumb :o

If you every say that you are dumb, I'm gonna come over there and work you over........:lol:
Don't ever feel like that, if you don't ask you won't learn, do you think we were all born full of knowlegde?

OK, thank you for your kind words.

The HorseHead image was taken though a 130mm telescope with the camera directly connected to it.

The Antares/Scorpius image was using the Canon 85mm f/1.2

The way we do long exposures is we set the camera on B (Bulb) setting so as long as the shutter release is pressed then the camera is exposing.

Cheers Carn.

;)

Dusty

Pinetree3
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 06, 2006 06:00 |  #22

Ok, you all, what about White Balance settings and the use of filters? Any suggestions?

The 20Da mentioned above is intended for astrophotography. Whereas I am shooting with a 20D, I might have to make some adjustments to get a similar picture (I hope). The 20Da claims to have a low pass filter and higher contrast setting. How might I set my 20D, to shoot for a similar effect?

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,201 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 06, 2006 06:22 as a reply to  @ Pinetree3's post |  #23

Here is my best moon pic:
https://photography-on-the.net …p?t=167637&high​light=Moon

Scroll down , had a second go at processing.
1/250 sec f5.6 ISO100. 400L on a 20D. I think 1/200 5.6 would have been better. This one was a little underexposed.

Dave
Image editing OK

Carn
20 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2006 07:33 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #24

Thanks Dusty, just feel really lost in all this information I have gathered from this as well as other forums. Being new to the whole photography thing there are really alot of confusing things. I am trying to read up as much as I can and am trying my best :D

Would the same B bulb setting apply to a 400D, or is it only the really expensive Canon camera's that have this function ? Also would I have to actually sit there and hold the button down, or is there some other trick to it ? I saw a small wired remote with a lock function, is that how you do it, click it to on and then lock it ?

Sorry for more questions and thank you all for your time in trying to explain these things to me ;) :p

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 06, 2006 19:20 |  #25

Carn wrote in post #2084180 (external link)
Thanks Dusty, just feel really lost in all this information I have gathered from this as well as other forums. Being new to the whole photography thing there are really alot of confusing things. I am trying to read up as much as I can and am trying my best :D

Would the same B bulb setting apply to a 400D, or is it only the really expensive Canon camera's that have this function ? Also would I have to actually sit there and hold the button down, or is there some other trick to it ? I saw a small wired remote with a lock function, is that how you do it, click it to on and then lock it ?

Sorry for more questions and thank you all for your time in trying to explain these things to me ;) :p

You're more than welcome to ask any question you like Carn.

The B bulb setting is on most if not all the dslr's and yes you can use the wired remote to press and lock down the shutter so that it exposes whatever legth of time you like. Actually it is the only way to do it since if you touch the camera in any way while exposing you will shake it and end up blurring the image.

Dave (choderboy) that's a great moon shot !

Dusty

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 07, 2006 01:53 |  #26

spot meter off the moon only or shoot in manual with faster shutter speed. The dark sky is fooling the metering on the camera.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Salleke
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 07, 2006 04:49 |  #27

cataclysmcow wrote in post #2083230 (external link)
My first moon shot since going DSLR :)

I love universal truths (or is that earthly truths?) like Curtis' reccomendation, but for me 1/250 ended up bringing out more detail 90% of the time @ f/8 ISO 100.

Shot with Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) @ 500mm. 1/250s, f/8, ISO 100.

This shot from the moon is a little out in WB and is not as sharp as the other pictures. Maybe a little PP would help.

Did you take it in RAW? With tripod?

Good luck.

elise1030
569 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2006 05:31 |  #28

Wow, those settings mentioned by curtis N do work. I just had a try with my A610 and while they're not spectacular, they are a huge improvement on my usual moon shots. They usually come out like the original posters moon :D So thankyou!

~350d -- kitlens -- ef 75-300mm -- A610~ 'thank you John'

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/elise1030/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,799 views & 0 likes for this thread
moon shooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.