Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2006 (Monday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RC1 vs RC5 - what's the difference?

demon
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 09, 2006 13:46 |  #1

Hi all,

Bit of advice please. For my EOS 400D/XTi I'd like a remote control principally to trigger the shutter for long exposure (to avoid vibration). The RC1 has a two second trigger interval and according to Amazon.co.uk will also control bulb exposures - 1st press to open shutter and 2nd to close. I think this is all I need but is there anything extra the the RC5, which is more expensive, offers.

Thanks

Paul

PS if anybody can suggest a cheap place to buy one of these whilst I'm in Naples, Florida in 2 weeks time even better. UK price is about 20GBP / 38USD.

sponsored links
Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 09, 2006 15:38 |  #2

Apparently, the only difference between RC1 and RC5 is the shape and styling. I don't think they're ideal for what you want though, as you have to be in front of the camera to use them (the IR sensor is on the front of the camera body). You really want the remote switch RS-60 E3, which plugs into your camera. That certainly does enable you to take long exposures without moving the camera, though I think it costs a bit more.

Mark.

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 09, 2006 15:55 as a reply to  @ Madweasel's post |  #3

Have a look also on ebay for Adidt remotes, they are made in China, are incredibly good value and a fraction of the Canon price. they work great too.

I got mine from hudsonriverphoto, he shipped to the UK from the US in 4 days over a holiday weekend (Easter) so I was extra impressed

It cost about £10 including postage.

I wouldn't go for the RC1 as it only works if you are in front of the camera.

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 09, 2006 16:09 |  #4

The RC-1 has the advantage of being able to select "instant" shutter release rather than a 2 second delay. This is very useful for standing in front of the camera and taking a picture of yourself with your arm outstretched, pointing the remote at the camera. :rolleyes: It's also $3.00 more expensive than the RC-5, according to B&H.

I'm with the others - a wired remote is much more user-friendly.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 09, 2006 20:05 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #5

You can be off to the side to use the RC-1 Remote. I usually stand behind the camera and press the button off to the side, if I don't want to be in the pic. I like the RC-1. I like the Instant - 2 Sec. and the Bulb function on the camera, 1 press on the remote to open and another press of the button to close.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

demon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 10, 2006 12:45 as a reply to  @ RWK's post |  #6

Thanks everybody for your comments. I now feel the urge to go for both the RC1 and the wired version (probably the adidt clone though - thanks steved). So much for saving money!

Paul

sponsored links

13,714 views & 0 likes for this thread
RC1 vs RC5 - what's the difference?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.