Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Oct 2006 (Sunday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Viewfinders

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,749 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 10, 2006 11:28 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #2101440 (external link)
You can't have your cake and eat it, too! Nice viewfinder, poorer handling of noise at higher ISO values. And you don't get to use L lenses (if that matters to you).

The D80 has a .94X magnification factor (based on a 50 mm lens at infinity) and has a slightly larger sensor than the 30D so it should present a bit larger picture. If Wilt's math holds up, this should present about 332 sq mm of viewfinder image vs. the 288 sq mm of the 30D (and about 256 sq mm on the XT). That's certainly larger, though I wouldn't quite consider it as "blowing away" that of the 30D. Definately a plus, though.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

sponsored links
jiggling_john
593 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 10, 2006 12:06 |  #32

are you taking worse pictures as a result? I doubt it. The viewfinder in my 350d has never put me off or annoyed me once. The fact that the 5d and 1d have bigger viewfinders just means a bonus in the future, but i just dont find it a limiting factor at all...

Canon 40D :: 50mm f1.8 mk II :: 17-40mm f4 L :: EX 430 :: Canon EOS 50 :: Canon AE-1 Program :: FD 50mm f1.8 :: FD 28mm f2.8 :: FD 135mm f3.5 :: Ilford HP5 Film :: Developing kit. No website, nothing serious, I just like taking photos

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,767 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 10, 2006 12:09 |  #33

jiggling_john wrote in post #2101930 (external link)
are you taking worse pictures as a result? I doubt it. The viewfinder in my 350d has never put me off or annoyed me once. The fact that the 5d and 1d have bigger viewfinders just means a bonus in the future, but i just dont find it a limiting factor at all...

If you had to achieve precise manual focus, you would start to complain...that is why focus magnifiers are used for precision. The larger the viewfinder, the more precise the manual focusing process.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jiggling_john
593 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 10, 2006 12:10 |  #34

if you had to achieve precise manual focus, you wouldn't be using a cropped sensor camera for a start.

Canon 40D :: 50mm f1.8 mk II :: 17-40mm f4 L :: EX 430 :: Canon EOS 50 :: Canon AE-1 Program :: FD 50mm f1.8 :: FD 28mm f2.8 :: FD 135mm f3.5 :: Ilford HP5 Film :: Developing kit. No website, nothing serious, I just like taking photos

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 10, 2006 12:18 |  #35

jiggling_john wrote in post #2101949 (external link)
if you had to achieve precise manual focus, you wouldn't be using a cropped sensor camera for a start.

Not everyone can afford a full frame body.

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

meeksdigital
116 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 10, 2006 15:29 |  #36

you dont need a full frame body. my 1D Mark IIN (1.3x) has a WWAAAYYY bigger viewfinder than the rebel XT or 20D or 30D and i can acheive very precise manual focus as a result. i think its funny hearing people complain about their rebel XT viewfinder, when in fact its their fault for purchasing a cheapo camera to begin with.

so no, you don't need a full frame body. just invest in some pro equipment and you'll understand the difference.

Meeks Digital Photography :: www.meeksdigital.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=1686910&pos​tcount=149

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,767 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 10, 2006 15:32 |  #37

Not everyone has the budget for a 1D and three L lenses, nor are they pros and can justify it.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 10, 2006 15:46 |  #38

meeksdigital wrote in post #2102818 (external link)
you dont need a full frame body. my 1D Mark IIN (1.3x) has a WWAAAYYY bigger viewfinder than the rebel XT or 20D or 30D and i can acheive very precise manual focus as a result. i think its funny hearing people complain about their rebel XT viewfinder, when in fact its their fault for purchasing a cheapo camera to begin with.

so no, you don't need a full frame body. just invest in some pro equipment and you'll understand the difference.

What kind of a statement is that?

You shouldn't have to pay 3 extra grand to be able to focus manually. Very few people can drop these money "just because I wanna focus"

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 10, 2006 16:20 |  #39

... its their fault for purchasing a cheapo camera to begin with.

That's a bit harsh! There are countless photography enthusiasts for whom that 'cheapo' XT/350D is still a far-off dream. A far smaller number are privileged to enjoy the luxury you have of such a fine camera and lenses. By all means enjoy your hobby, and indulge yourself as your wealth permits, but don't denigrate those who can't afford the same.

Mark.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 10, 2006 16:49 |  #40

No need to repeat that statement.

I don't think te size of the crop cameras VFs (including the 1D series) is the only point here.
The 1Ds (as well as the Eos 1n or 1V for that matter) are also worse then, say a Contax RTS III, Olympus OM1, or Nikon F4...
Yes, the 1Ds and 1V are full frame, and have a lot bigger VF then Canons crop bodies, but they are still less then perfect.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

luant16
424 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 11, 2006 00:21 |  #41

its still expensive to produce large chips, and if canon put large chips onto rebel, they would not be able to sell tons of it which would decrease their income. that's why they have different camera for category.

Choderboy
I like a long knob
7,281 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 11, 2006 07:59 as a reply to  @ luant16's post |  #42

I had a Pentax istDs. Cost $915 , XT350 was about $1200.

Much better than an XT viewfinder. (bigger , brighter) Then I got a 20D ($2000) and the viefinder was almost as good as the Pentax.

Before you shoot me down , have a look through an istDS. istDL is not as good... K10D - keen to check one out.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

5,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Viewfinders
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.