Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Oct 2006 (Friday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Warranty Question

ChrisBlaze
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 13, 2006 22:40 |  #1

Do you buy the store's extended warranty (ie... Ritz, BH...). I found an XTi for cheaper than what Ritz sells it (and tax free), but I was going to get the Ritz warranty, but is it worth it.

Canon 1D Mark II N/5D Mark III/ 6D/ 7D /85mm f1.2L Mk1/ 24-70 f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM/ 100mm Macro f/2.8

Honolulu POTN

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 13, 2006 22:47 |  #2

if peace of mind is worth it? Are you going to be 'roughing' it with the camera, or will you take care of it? I have never bought an extended warranty...but, I figure if something will go wrong, it will go wrong in the first year.

I have not had a lense or camera fail on me yet.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

Dante ­ King
"Cream of Corn" BurgerMeister
9,134 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 13, 2006 23:27 |  #3

read the fine print. IMHO, these things are never really worth the cost. If it makes you feel all warm and snugly, go for it.

Dante
I am not an Lcoholic. Lcoholics go to meetings!
Gear List

ChrisBlaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 13, 2006 23:33 |  #4

well being military, I can get the XTi for $849 (tax free) but Ritz has it for $899 (plus tax) but they have the best warranty in the business ( if you break it, they'll replace it), and that warranty cost $123. I can get a warranty that replaces or fixes the camera for a lot less from the military, but I don know if its worth it.

Canon 1D Mark II N/5D Mark III/ 6D/ 7D /85mm f1.2L Mk1/ 24-70 f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM/ 100mm Macro f/2.8

Honolulu POTN

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 13, 2006 23:35 |  #5

Well, if you are using it in the field, then, well, it may be worth it. If the price of the warranty through the Military is MUCH cheaper, then, I say go for it. You never know...especially if it's in the field.

ChrisBlaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 13, 2006 23:37 |  #6

inthedeck wrote in post #2117865 (external link)
Well, if you are using it in the field, then, well, it may be worth it. If the price of the warranty through the Military is MUCH cheaper, then, I say go for it. You never know...especially if it's in the field.

nah Iwont be using it in the field and the warranty through the military only covers it if its mechanical damage.

Honolulu POTN

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 13, 2006 23:43 |  #7

Go without. Just buy a Giotto rocket blower, and some nice microfiber cloths, and take care of it. Just make sure to test it out, when you get it, and you should be good to go. I owned a 20D for 2 years...and not once did I ever feel that it was going to 'die' as long as I cared for it correctly. Stays in the bag, when not in use...so that's more added protection. I have taken it across country, out of the country, driving, hiking, walking, in fog, in snow, in the cold. Never had an issue with it. Then, sold it, as I am looking to upgrade...so, that's my 2 cents.

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 13, 2006 23:52 |  #8

I will stick with the tried and true places on this purchase. ( B&H, Beach, Buydig, Adaroma, Dell, and many others) A lot of the vendors are at that price or lower. The warranties that AAFES sell are cheap third party warranties that don't cover very much. Did you say Ritz...biting my tongue.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

ChrisBlaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 13, 2006 23:59 |  #9

m3incorp wrote in post #2117915 (external link)
I will stick with the tried and true places on this purchase. ( B&H, Beach, Buydig, Adaroma, Dell, and many others) A lot of the vendors are at that price or lower. The warranties that AAFES sell are cheap third party warranties that don't cover very much. Did you say Ritz...biting my tongue.

yea I said Ritz

Honolulu POTN

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 14, 2006 18:51 as a reply to  @ ChrisBlaze's post |  #10

Extended warranties are just a way for stores to make profit. I have purchased a few in my lifetime. Never needed them. Actually forgot which products had them and which did not.

If you buy reliable name brands you shouldn't need them. It's basically a gamble. If you pay $300 for a 3yr. warranty, you are saying that you have decided that the camera will have NO problems the first year, but will cost over $300 to maintain in years two and three.

Read the fine print some extended warranties don't cover what you think they should.

My final answer is never ever buy an extended warranty. You will eventually have to pay to fix something, but that will be much less than buying additional warranties on everything you purchase.

Can you tell you hit a nerve on this one?

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

Apex174
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 15, 2006 12:17 |  #11

Does anyone have experience with Mack Warranties? I got my 400D in HK and I'm sure Canon USA will not honor the warranty. My friend advised me to get a Mack Warranty for peace of mind.

5D-II + III, 400D w/ BG-E3 & 40D w/ BG-E2
50 1.8, 17-85 IS USM, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS
430EX, 580EXII

ungx0013
133 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 15, 2006 17:57 |  #12

I was wondering the same thing with the Mack warranties from B&H Photo. I wasn't sure if I should get that. I am thinking that I won't get it but its only $80 for the Canon 30D. going to order in a few hours, if not tomorrow.

Canon EOS 30D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 / Kit Lens 18-55mm
7MDH / Slingshot 200 (FS?) / BG-E2
Epson P-5000 / Sony Vaio SZ-460NC

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 15, 2006 19:50 |  #13

ChrisBlaze wrote in post #2117936 (external link)
yea I said Ritz

Ok, so I didn't know any better at the time, but I got my 20D from Ritz. And yes I went for the extended warranty they offered.

Reason being is I was told should ANYTHING happen to it, so long as I had the serial number plate it would be replaced.

He said "bring it in inside a ziplock bag with ocean water and sand in bits and pieces and you'll get a new one". That said he also told me (with a wink wink nudge nudge) if my camera is broken and they can't replace it with a new 20D, they'll have to replace it with the next best camera(i.e. 30D).

Now I've no intention of breaking my camera(as was suggested) to get a new one, but if something happens it's nice to know I'll have something to fall back on so to speak.

Christian.

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 19, 2006 12:53 |  #14

Hey better read the fine print on that warranty. They always say it in a way to make it sound like it must be the best thing in the world.

20DNewbie wrote in post #2124805 (external link)
Ok, so I didn't know any better at the time, but I got my 20D from Ritz. And yes I went for the extended warranty they offered.

Reason being is I was told should ANYTHING happen to it, so long as I had the serial number plate it would be replaced.

He said "bring it in inside a ziplock bag with ocean water and sand in bits and pieces and you'll get a new one". That said he also told me (with a wink wink nudge nudge) if my camera is broken and they can't replace it with a new 20D, they'll have to replace it with the next best camera(i.e. 30D).

Now I've no intention of breaking my camera(as was suggested) to get a new one, but if something happens it's nice to know I'll have something to fall back on so to speak.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

tange1
142 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 19, 2006 13:36 |  #15

Just buy insurance on it. I found for 30 dollars a year 3000 dollars worth of camera equipment can be covered for any type of loss anywhere in the world including droping it. I currently dont have 3000 dollars worth of stuff so ill be adding items to the insurance as i get them since i have to pay the minimum (30) a year might as well use it.

FYI: Its a personal articles policy specificaly for a camera from state farm insurance in PA.

Canon Rebel Xti, EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
EF 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS
50mm f/1.8
Battery Grip
430ex ii

sponsored links

1,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Warranty Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.