Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 17 Oct 2006 (Tuesday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So who's been to Dublin ??

Buggbairn
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 17, 2006 14:49 |  #1

I'm heading over with my GF for 3 days (Mon-Wed) early November.

I have a choice of Dublin aiport or Shannon , which is closer to the City Center ?

What areas of the city are good for photography ?

And of course, a scotsman needs his swally

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/v344/weejoe/be​erchug.gif (external link)
:lol: :lol:

So lookin for a few good bars/restaurants to cater for two well behaved young adults ;)

Thanks in advance :D

www.scottharrower.com (external link)

sponsored links
Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 17, 2006 15:38 |  #2

Buggbairn wrote in post #2132728 (external link)

I have a choice of Dublin aiport or Shannon , which is closer to the City Center ?

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

So lookin for a few good bars/restaurants to cater for two well behaved young adults ;)

I have. I went to a joint meeting of the Scottish and Irish Intensive Care Societies a few years ago. I remember they had a Civic Reception for us - there was a huge long table covered with freshly pulled pints of Guinness. I don't remember a lot after that .............. strange, that!

DON'T go to Shannon Airport - it's in the West of Ireland - bl**dy miles from Dublin! See this link (external link) if you don't believe me!

And who are those 'two well behaved young adults' - are they going too?

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Buggbairn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 17, 2006 16:25 |  #3

Mike Bell wrote in post #2132950 (external link)
I have. I went to a joint meeting of the Scottish and Irish Intensive Care Societies a few years ago. I remember they had a Civic Reception for us - there was a huge long table covered with freshly pulled pints of Guinness. I don't remember a lot after that .............. strange, that!

Were you laying down a few "bangin tunes" on those turntables of yours ? :lol: ;)

DON'T go to Shannon Airport - it's in the West of Ireland - bl**dy miles from Dublin! See this link (external link) if you don't believe me!

I know :o ...... Well I do now :lol:

And who are those 'two well behaved young adults' - are they going too?

Well I can atleast go undercover as a well behaved young adult ;) :lol:

Dimitri_V
Cream of the Crop
9,221 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 17, 2006 16:58 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Buggbairn wrote in post #2133160 (external link)
Well I can atleast go undercover as a well behaved young adult ;) :lol:

You would fool me...:p:lol::lol::lol:

My site (external link)http://www.earthsbeaut​ytours.com (external link)

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 17, 2006 17:22 |  #5

I've been to Dublin, six years ago now. It's been so long since I was there I barely remember it. I seem to remember a river area that went through the part of town we stayed in. Sorry this is probably not helpful at all. lol

Best part is the Guiness Factory if you're into tourist traps. You pay admission, which is too much for what you see and then you get a "free" pint at the end of the tour in this GIANT bar area where they pass out nothing but guiness. lol The worst hostel I have ever stayed in was in Dublin. Funny I haven't had a desire to go back since... lol

- Kody

kev350d
44 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 17, 2006 17:45 |  #6

Stop off the guinness "or at least ask yourself why the locals arnt all drinking it" lol

Same goes for Newcastle Brown Ale ! "drank in the toon by tourists" ;)

Canon 350D
Kit lens
28-135 IS USM
Canon 550ex stoffen omni.
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF
(Not the best of gear but loving every second)

Buggbairn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 17, 2006 18:02 as a reply to  @ kev350d's post |  #7

In all honesty, I ain't going for the guiness, can't stand the stuff :(

Gnasher
199 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 19, 2006 14:53 |  #8

You need to go to the Temple Bar area which is just South of the River LIffey. The best bar is the The Oliver St. John Gogarty. They have live traditional music every night and have a great craic. (see here for meaning of the word craic - http://www.urbandictio​nary.com/define.php?te​rm=craic) (external link).

J ­ T
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 19, 2006 15:51 |  #9

Buggbairn wrote in post #2133573 (external link)
In all honesty, I ain't going for the guiness, can't stand the stuff :(

I'm in a same boat as you...can't stand the stuff. Going down is not bad, but the aftertaste is horrible.

- 5D & 60D (x2), EFS 10-22, EF 17-40L, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400 L IS

Buggbairn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 19, 2006 17:56 |  #10

Gnasher wrote in post #2142135 (external link)
You need to go to the Temple Bar area which is just South of the River LIffey. The best bar is the The Oliver St. John Gogarty. They have live traditional music every night and have a great craic. (see here for meaning of the word craic - http://www.urbandictio​nary.com/define.php?te​rm=craic). (external link)

Cheers Buddy :) I'm looking for a night of music so thats good of you.

Being a Scot the term "Gidd Craic" is common place around here ;)

J T wrote in post #2142338 (external link)
I'm in a same boat as you...can't stand the stuff. Going down is not bad, but the aftertaste is horrible.

Aye Jim, tooooo creamy, I like my beer with a bit more bite ;)

Elphaba
377 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 19, 2006 18:07 |  #11

Been my spot for taking a break from the states, for a few years, now. I lived over there for better part of the spring and summer, doing photography, last year... my last Dublin excursion was this past April.

Dublin Airport... Shannon is actually closer to the western coast. Dublin Airport is just a short taxi ride from Dublin city centre.

Honestly, every corner of the city has something to offer, photography wise... my favorite corner is the Geogian area, near St. Stephen's Green. I would walk from my apartment to the park... from there, hit Grafton St... walk past Trinity College... then keep hoofing it to the city centre. That area is especially great for "people" photography. If you are looking for some great "seaside" imagery, take DART to Howth... gorgeous area...

As for the bar scene: can't help you there... but it seemed like the Temple Bar area was the place to be. LoL
(Never tasted Guiness... I am allergic to alcohol, so I keep far away from that stuff. People are amazed that I have spent a lot of time in Ireland, but never tasted the Guiness. LoL )

5Dc grip'd * 60D grip'd* 17-40 L * 24-70 L * 70-200 F2.8 IS L
*100-400 IS L * 50 F1.4* MP-E 65* 100 macro F2.8* 18-200 ef-s IS*
Flashes-n-filters-with bits-n-other photography bobbles... used with Loads of heart-n-passion!

sponsored links

1,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.